Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ez's - the genuine or fake cue thread !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ez's - the genuine or fake cue thread !!!

Ok, there's been a few threads about fake cues listed on ebay, so I thought it was time I started a thread of my own and linked to the cues which I think are either fake or at least suspect, in an attempt to warn the unsuspecting forum members.

At the same time I invite all forum members to draw on their own experience and add both their views and opinions....but remember these views, opinions and conclusions are not definitive, as it's sometimes difficult to tell from pictures alone. Also these findings do not imply that the sellers are attempting to deceive anyone, as they may have bought the cues unwittingly in the first place and selling for genuine reasons.

My credentials are over 30 years of both buying and selling cues and accessories, and also commissioning many cues to be custom made, custom modified and refurbished for many customers. Having said that I don't claim to be an expert, just simply giving my own views as a potential buyer like everyone else.

So without further delay lets get the ball rolling !!

First up which we will call Cue no.1 is this Trevor White 3/4 cue which I just spotted today on 25.04.2015

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREVOR-WHI...item25a51385f9

I invite your opinions...

EZ
    Last edited by EZ_4_U_OK; 25 April 2015, 09:18 PM.
    " It's impossible to put a price on happiness "...:-) EZ

What makes you think that it is a fake ?

My uneducated eye , I can't see anything that makes it stand out as a fake .
    Price is way too high though .

Good idea to start a thread like this .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      What makes you think that it is a fake ?

My uneducated eye , I can't see anything that makes it stand out as a fake .
      Price is way too high though .

Good idea to start a thread like this .
      Good question Neil and thanks for the comment. Hopefully we can draw on the wealth of experience of other forum members, if they too will share their knowledge on these subjects.

Well for a start I think the 3/4 joint looks suspect, and so must be the sd joint if they take those extensions. Not to say that they couldn't have been retro fitted, but just looks a bit strange to me on a Trevor White cue.

The beauty here is we have some of the cue makers resident on the forum, so maybe they too could chip in at some stage?!

EZ
      Last edited by EZ_4_U_OK; 25 April 2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I've sold my TW 3/4,so can't compare the joint .

It does look like a small thread , very similar to a Robert Osborne joint .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
          I've sold my TW 3/4,so can't compare the joint .

It does look like a small thread , very similar to a Robert Osborne joint .
          Yes, how funny I just sold one too ...still it does look like a nice cue thou !

EZ

Comment

Ez's - the genuine or fake cue thread !!!

there was a thread started some time ago that was purely to ask the authenticity of the cue being sold on ebay etc and it did work well
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Well 3/4 joint looks fine to me, what don't you like about it ??
              SD joint deffo wrong but looks good quality

Comment

this is a fake,i think
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item4d310aa6f9

Comment

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee View Post
                  Don't know either way, but I do find it strange to have more lines written ( or cut 'n' pasted )

in the advert, about the peradon case, than the Trevor White cue !

Comment

Not unusual for someone to buy a cue without an SD joint and take it to their local guy/shop to have one fitted at a later date.
                    SD joints are no indication of a cues authenticity and should be ignored for the purpose of this thread.

The sd joint looks like the ones fitted to Phoenix cues plus other Thai cues. As Craftsman cues stock lots of these and do alterations and its a straight run from Sleaford to Kippax up the A1 its maybe a possibility he got it fitted there.
                    Last edited by Maverick54; 26 April 2015, 07:54 AM.
                    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee View Post
                      On what grounds ???????????

Comment

These type of threads should be deleted unless there's enough proof that the actual cue in question has solid evidence it's a fake. its out of order IMHO. Fair enough H&O cues selling for £100 but other cues more evidence needed.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          On what grounds ???????????
                          Unless you have proof its fake i dont think you should pass judgement , it looks genuine to me , so what makes you think its not , the only question i would be asking is how is the writing on the badge so thick and bold .
                          Last edited by hotpot; 26 April 2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                            Unless you have proof its fake i dont think you should pass judgement , it looks genuine to me , so what makes you think its not , the only question i would be asking is how is the writing on the badge so thick and bold .
                            That is my old cue that I got direct from Trevor so it is definitely genuine!

No idea how it ended up in France though. It sold on eBay through the international shipping programme. I then got an email from eBay saying they couldn't post to USA where the person who bought it was based. I kept the money paid to me, eBay reimburse the buyer and eBay keep the item.

This was about 6 months ago and now it has turned up here being listed as new. I owned it about a year before selling.

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                              That is my old cue that I got direct from Trevor so it is definitely genuine!

No idea how it ended up in France though. It sold on eBay through the international shipping programme. I then got an email from eBay saying they couldn't post to USA where the person who bought it was based. I kept the money paid to me, eBay reimburse the buyer and eBay keep the item.

This was about 6 months ago and now it has turned up here being listed as new. I owned it about a year before selling.
                              Wow, fantastic info there gooner, thanks for sharing that!
                              So we've found something out about another cue, mainly that it's not "new" as described, but at least confirmed genuine. Did Trevor say what the nice red butt wood is called?

EZ

Comment

Working...
                              X