No announcement yet.

Top 10 Snooker Cue Manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have played with two trevs and a MW , as long term playing cues . Have also been in dave coutts workshop and seen the way he makes his cues ( piece of wood and a very exspensive plane to a cue .no lathe in sight !)
    I would say they are all the best but in different ways .I think you could put a name to these 3 different makers' cues ,without seeing the badge

Comment

• Why care what a pro plays with? - its what suits you.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
        Why care what a pro plays with? - its what suits you.
        I think the marketing companies care. So much money is spent on letting the public know what shoes the professionals are wearing, what aftershave they wear, what undies they wear, the shampoo they use, the credit card they use, the dentist they use, the vitamins they take, etc, etc.

Geez, don't tell me it makes no difference to how I will play. How am I supposed to become world champion if these things make no difference at all.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• Ha ha -

People pay silly money these days to replicate the pro's - its a false economy - If you think about it I doubt there has ever been a world tile won with a cue in the modern era that someone paid over £300 for? - in fact thinking about it probably never.

Ronnie uses an ultimate I hear you cry - well he has previously said his favourite cue was a burwat champion - he started out with one as a kid and when has he ever paid for a cue?

Parris - and I am not knocking them as you can hit on a good one - but they give away their cues to Ronnie free and also a high number of other pro's too - same can be said for other makers giving cues away in the hope a pro will use it so they can gain the cuedos and charge the rest of us idiots the earth. All good marketing publicity as you rightly say - Hendry's conny cue cost less than 100 Higgins got his Northwest for nothing Mark Selby's Stamford might be the dearest - if he paid for it at all, Mark Williams Barracuda gold medal was no doubt less than that Peter Ebdon used a old maple thing begins with a D possibly riley- forgot - but did not cost much - Robertons old basic Parris classic was gift of his old man I think and Murphy won a world title with an old antique whippy Tom Newman thing and poor Ken Doc paid 3 quid for that bent rack cue.

It's not the cue in so much as the player behind it.

What suits one is crap for another - go with what you like personally I don't think badges matter as much as the response and feel of the cue itself to the player using it that is what you should care most about.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
            You make some good points but no pro would ever play with a Parris because it was discounted or free, if the cue was no good. So these cues, made by Parris and TW, etc, etc, must be good IMO, or at least the ones made for pros are. I agree, if you can find an old wood great cue that costs little, bingo. I don't see Lewis Hamilton wishing to swap his Merc for a Renault powered car, and I can't see someone like Ronnie swapping his ultimate for anything else, unless it was as good.

Personally, having tried out a traditional and an ultimate, I can attest to how wonderful and reactive a Parris feels. Old wood is good wood.

So my question remains, who are the top ten cue makers that the cream of the talent go to?
            ronnie has also had glover cues and robert osbourne cues and famously a burwat champion.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
              Does he make them all by himself ?
              Yes , the only other person I've ever seen in there ( apart from Will Hunt ) was Raymond .......now of Exquisite cue fame. But he only used to go down for a week or so at a time .
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                Yes , the only other person I've ever seen in there ( apart from Will Hunt ) was Raymond .......now of Exquisite cue fame. But he only used to go down for a week or so at a time .
                Ah , , is that where Raymond ( and Will ) honed his skills ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                  Are you sure you didn't see the courier delivering the cues ?

Comment

• Oh Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Best cue maker in the world is ???

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...bid-from-world

Comment

• I would be really interested to see what tests cue makers do during the process of making a cue. It is often said that so and so makes cues that are great 'players' I know some of it must be purely visual like selecting planks at a saw mill as I can't see what else you could look for in a rough sawn board. Surely it can't all be visual though.

That can't just be chance, there must be a process and while I understand that it must be a trade secret to a degree is there anything some cue makers could share?

Comment

Someone said that JP can look at a piece of timber and know when it is ready by giving it a tap and listening to it. The frequency response indicates how playable it will be. And that's why he often lets wood mature to 30, 40, 50yrs apparently, because it wasn't ready. This could be mythryl mind, so I stand to be corrected.
                          I would say that is absolute tosh

Comment

... And that's why he often lets wood mature to 30, 40, 50yrs apparently, because it wasn't ready. ....
                            Well considering his age, i think that has never happened

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Well considering his age, i think that has never happened
                              I was thinking the same thing. Funny how these stories get carried on.
                              The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Someone said that JP can look at a piece of timber and know when it is ready by giving it a tap and listening to it. The frequency response indicates how playable it will be. And that's why he often lets wood mature to 30, 40, 50yrs apparently, because it wasn't ready. This could be mythryl mind, so I stand to be corrected.
                                I Heard he sets the ash blank on fire and from the ashes he can tell if its ready to play with......

Comment

Working...
                                X