No announcement yet.

This cue making lark ain't easy - my attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks very much for the package Adam, arrived early this morning, looks superb !

Comment

• looks real quality that. lovely use of snakewood.

Comment

• Beautiful peice of snakewood! Not detracting from the cue but i would have thought he would have alined the chevrons with the snakewood splice?
        Only my thoughts! still a loverly cue.

Comment

• Originally Posted by les147 View Post
          Beautiful peice of snakewood! Not detracting from the cue but i would have thought he would have alined the chevrons with the snakewood splice?
          Its aligned with the 3 chevrons closest to the ferrule. The 4/5 twist slightly

Comment

• i like the look of what youve been proudcing so far rogi, so much so that id like to have a hit with a few of them.. i dont know how much youve been seduced by the wood or how much your in dept from your studies, but this maybe something you could come back to after youve had kids. or earlier

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              i like the look of what youve been proudcing so far rogi, so much so that id like to have a hit with a few of them.. i dont know how much youve been seduced by the wood or how much your in dept from your studies, but this maybe something you could come back to after youve had kids. or earlier
              Thanks Jas, I enjoy it as a hobby. Before I started with the cues I made a few bits of furniture, I just enjoy the woodwork aspect. At 23 I don't don't have any plans for kids in the near future, but I would like to pick this back up again. Depends on where my career takes me, as theres a distinct possibility I could move abroad in a few years time.

Comment

• I bought no 10,the one on the left ,I've had cues from all the top makers,Adam has done a brilliant job shame he has to give it up.

Comment

• Originally Posted by les147 View Post
                  Beautiful peice of snakewood! Not detracting from the cue but i would have thought he would have alined the chevrons with the snakewood splice?
                  Bit of a shame I noticed that too, otherwise it would've looked a great cue, but once again think he's done a really good job considering it's his hobby.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                    Bit of a shame I noticed that too, otherwise it would've looked a great cue, but once again think he's done a really good job considering it's his hobby.
                    That's a bit 'damning with feint praise'. What he has done, is in my view the correct approach. The chevrons at the tip are aligned with the flat on the butt. When you are down on a shot you are not looking at the butt splices, you are looking at the tip. At least one of my Butters cues is like this, and it doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't change it. It's unique, and right for that cue. Having said that, I'm not over tense about chevrons in the first place. If it hits well, I'm happy.

Comment

• Just finished an hour doing basic line ups to get used to the cue and the Kamui tip (not used one before) and gotta say it's a great cue, didn't miss many at all, nice confidence boosting relatively easy pots, but more than happy with the cue. Went on to long blues and i potted as many as I normally do with my playing cue so thumbs up from me!

Comment

• Originally Posted by dod1959 View Post
                        I bought no 10,the one on the left ,I've had cues from all the top makers,Adam has done a brilliant job shame he has to give it up.
                        Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        Just finished an hour doing basic line ups to get used to the cue and the Kamui tip (not used one before) and gotta say it's a great cue, didn't miss many at all, nice confidence boosting relatively easy pots, but more than happy with the cue. Went on to long blues and i potted as many as I normally do with my playing cue so thumbs up from me!
                        Glad you're both happy!! and thanks for the reviews

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                        I think this is a slightly harsh criticism Leo. There is more than one way to line up the chevrons. eg; If you think of the shaft as a scatter plot and the chevrons are the plot points you generally have two options when plotting linear regression. You have the line of best fit which will go through the centre point of as many plot points as possible or the average which will draw a line equidistant through space. I opt for the first method but target the chevrons nearer the tip end in the area one would have in their peripheral vision when sighting. This is just my preference, personally I would find it a little off putting if the arrow at the tip end was pointing to the left/right of where I was aiming.

Comment

• That's the most cue makers would do it Adam. IMHO.

Like you say, better to have the flat in line with the arrows you can actually see, than align the ones closer to the flat , that you can't.

Only if you have a shaft with the arrows in perfect alignment from front to back, can everything can be lined up with the splices and flat ( if requested ).

People forget you are a hobbyist cue maker, and cannot charge extra for arrow separation, number of arrows etc,

as you simply wont carry the quantity of shafts to do this.

P. S. Give me a shout when you get fed up with 007.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• I bought the Hickory cue and have used it as my playing cue in two separate leagues , since I got it . I picked the cue up , took it to a table and never looked back . I sent a PM to Adam which said " I am impressed and my advice to you is that if you can find the time , keep making cues " and I havent changed my mind . I agree with both Adam and Bill about chevron alignment , although I dont use chevrons to line up shots ( except when using exts & rests ) , personally I focus on contact point of tip and cue ball only . I appreciate that some people are more obsessed by chevrons than others but I think that you got it right in the case of the cue in question . Please feel free to ignore any comments from people who may not have ever made a cue themselves and therefore dont know how difficult it can be . Thanks for giving me the chance to own and play with such a great " playable " cue , it doesnt hurt that the cue is nearly perfectly executed in every splice line and the attention to detail is superb as well. Should you reconsider your decision and continue making cues , I assure you that there is a market for your work , if not , good luck in your future employment .

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                              That's the most cue makers would do it Adam. IMHO.

Like you say, better to have the flat in line with the arrows you can actually see, than align the ones closer to the flat , that you can't.

Only if you have a shaft with the arrows in perfect alignment from front to back, can everything can be lined up with the splices and flat ( if requested ).

People forget you are a hobbyist cue maker, and cannot charge extra for arrow separation, number of arrows etc,

as you simply wont carry the quantity of shafts to do this.

P. S. Give me a shout when you get fed up with 007.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Exactly Bill, seems common sense to me but hey.

P.S. I'll give you a shout in a couple of weeks then

Comment

• Originally Posted by old school View Post
                                I bought the Hickory cue and have used it as my playing cue in two separate leagues , since I got it . I picked the cue up , took it to a table and never looked back . I sent a PM to Adam which said " I am impressed and my advice to you is that if you can find the time , keep making cues " and I havent changed my mind . I agree with both Adam and Bill about chevron alignment , although I dont use chevrons to line up shots ( except when using exts & rests ) , personally I focus on contact point of tip and cue ball only . I appreciate that some people are more obsessed by chevrons than others but I think that you got it right in the case of the cue in question . Please feel free to ignore any comments from people who may not have ever made a cue themselves and therefore dont know how difficult it can be . Thanks for giving me the chance to own and play with such a great " playable " cue , it doesnt hurt that the cue is nearly perfectly executed in every splice line and the attention to detail is superb as well. Should you reconsider your decision and continue making cues , I assure you that there is a market for your work , if not , good luck in your future employment .
                                Thank you Mick, appreciate it! Glad you're happy with it :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X