No announcement yet.

Stephen hendry's cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes you are right - i can see the band now i think about it - the glint is why i could not make out the badge!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
      yes you are right - i can see the band now i think about it - the glint is why i could not make out the badge!

you noticed a lot of detail by looking close.

i couldnt see the badge either, so asked when the opportunity arose.

Comment

it helps i have seen a lot of cues! - ask him if he does not like it to give me a bell i have a few he might!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
          its an Acuerate Cue hes been using for the last couple of weeks.

What's the deal with these Acuerate cues then???

Are they made from timber???

Are they made in more or less a traditional way???

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
            What's the deal with these Acuerate cues then???

Are they made from timber???

Are they made in more or less a traditional way???
            wouldnt know much about them.....remember looking them up when mentioned on here months ago (use the search on here and theres a few mentions. thing A_G asked in a thread about them).

their "claim" or "selling point" seems to be there good results in "deflection tests", something yourself or ADR will know more about than most.

Comment

I wouldn't think that Stephen Hendry has been using a different cue just a few weeks before the World Championships start. I'm not saying that he hasn't tried this supposed acuerate cue out but the suggestion that he has decided to change at this stage of the season is just rediculous. Unless of course something has happened to his regular playing cue.

As for Acuerate, I remember having a pdf file sent to me regarding these cues and the science behind them. It is claimed that they offer less deflection than any other cue and that this leads to more accuracy when playing with side as opposed to regular cues which usually throw the white off centre slightly when applying side spin to the cue ball.
              They, as far as I know, are made from regular seasoned ash or maple but I believe its secret lies within the taper and tip size where the cue deflects less than regular cues.

I'll dig it up for anyone that wants a read, I think I've still got it somewhere!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
                I wouldn't think that Stephen Hendry has been using a different cue just a few weeks before the World Championships start. I'm not saying that he hasn't tried this supposed acuerate cue out but the suggestion that he has decided to change at this stage of the season is just rediculous. Unless of course something has happened to his regular playing cue.

As for Acuerate, I remember having a pdf file sent to me regarding these cues and the science behind them. It is claimed that they offer less deflection than any other cue and that this leads to more accuracy when playing with side as opposed to regular cues which usually throw the white off centre slightly when applying side spin to the cue ball.
                They, as far as I know, are made from regular seasoned ash or maple but I believe its secret lies within the taper and tip size where the cue deflects less than regular cues.

I'll dig it up for anyone that wants a read, I think I've still got it somewhere!

I remember speaking to a certain 'unnamed' player a little while ago, and, during this conversation, these cues were mentioned.

He told me that he'd tried one and found it completely hopeless, stating that his own cue (a regular high quality cue) outperformed it by a country mile.
                I do vaguely recall that he said they were basically a fairly standard cue and nothing to shout about, though I can't say I paid too much attention to any details mentioned (if they were).

Any very good experienced cuemaker, with a 'real' knowledge of the game, technical aspects and playing characteristics of different cues, would be able to tell you that a cue of a certain shape, size, taper, overall weight, and, the distribution of that weight, will outperfrom the next cue not falling into these 'certain' specifications.

It's all very well having a cue that will minimise the effects of throw when striking off centre white, but, there's much more to building a cue that will perform well in other areas.

For a start, for virtually all players, they have to have a cue that 'FEELS' comfortable when they are on the table with it. So having to use a cue with a 'CERTAIN PRE-DEFINED' taper, might feel unbearable to them.

There are many variables to take into account in building a cue that will suit a given player, but, will still be able to perform as a total package.

As for these Acuerate cues......well, they appear to be attempting to sell these cues on one 'so called' strength alone.......minimise throw/deflection.

How many players out there would want a cue that doesn't throw at all but is unable to generate any real instant backspin to the cueball (even on a very nice cloth with clean balls and no humidity)?
                Likewise, a cue that can't create any powerful topspin drive through the white, or hold the white easily over distance?

Honestly, this is nonsense.

Comment

My friend Yannick Poulain, the French #1, is using an Acuerate cue and he's very satisfied with. You can tell me he's biased as he's sponsored by Acuerate, fair enough. But he told me that the cue felt very comfortable, and for having seen him play, he can execute every single shot required in snooker with ease with this cue.
                  (but I'm not saying by any means that Acuerate cues are superior to others! I just say they seem to be as efficient in the deflection area than in the top/backspin, etc.). Then, it's down to each player to choose it or not...
                  Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Cueman.. I for one would like to see that pdf file if it has more info on the tests than what they give on their website as the bumph there proves nothing other than of 4 totally different cues they tested their cue gave the least deflection.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
                      he got it 2 weekends ago. the other cue he was using wasnt broke.

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                        he got it 2 weekends ago. the other cue he was using wasnt broke.
                        Semih, do you know if he plans to play with the Accuerate in Sheffield?
                        Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH
                          Semih, do you know if he plans to play with the Accuerate in Sheffield?
                          dont know Erwan, but given the following facts:-

he was using it midweek

when asked it it was his new cue, he said yes

when asked when he got it, he replied stating a number of days which when calculated means he got it two weekends ago

-----

also early report on here by ADR suggests he used it just over a week ago at the Legends Tour.

Comment

Staggering

Comment

I wouldn't say it's staggering at all. More like the actions of a champion who is looking to try and find a solution to return to being invincible again. All the great champions of their sport do the same type of thing Hendry's been doing.

I'm not really convinced that he's got any more than 1 more world title with a real struggle (and not just in the final) left in him. But he's really got nothing to lose using a different cue during the world championships from 1 that hasn't brought him the spectacular title success he had hoped for, and he can't do any worse using his new cue. Win or lose in the world championships he'll have had a gamble trying to end an 8 year drought since he last won he world championship. And whatever hapens he will be gaining confidence using this new cue in competitive situations in readiness for next season's tournaments even if invincibility mid 90's style is out of the question.

Comment

I'm with Trev, its more than staggering, its bloody rediculous. No player, not even O'Sullivan could adapt to a new cue when you have a tournament less than 3 weeks away. The fact that its not just any tournament but the World championships just makes this whole story seem more like an April fools joke beyond the 1st April!

Hendry will be using his 3/4 plain Ebony/Maple Parris cue at the crucible or I'm a martian from outer space!

Comment

Working...
                                X