Did ROS throw the WSC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
    I hope i dont get in to trouble for saying this but i heard from a good source a Professional Gambler from the London area that Ro's was told to loose the final against Mark or some people would expose some bad things about Ro's.

hope this was not the case or surely this would need looked in to.
    For the sake of the future of the Forum, I think you need to be careful what you write publicly. Whether folk realise it or not there is liability (to a certain extent) of comments made even if quoted as hearsay.

Comment

Well, I must say up front that Selby would not stand in O'S shadow and sincerely believe a statement made earlier, if the big boys were involved that may well be the reason for his defeat. To be more truthful, I find it difficult to watch Selby, IMO he is one of the most boring players I have ever seen. Forty years ago (now 75 & cripple) I would have backed myself to beat him. O'S and Hendry are without doubt the greatest players to ever pick up a cue.
      Last edited by blinky88; 9 May 2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Maybe he just felt the pressure , there was no pressure the previous year as he had taken most of the season off so nobody expected him to win , he's the best ever if he wins that year but if he doesn't well how could he win after a year off?
        He definitely didn't throw the game as a sixth world title is a pretty awesome achievement
        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
          Well, I must say up front that Selby would not stand in O'S shadow and sincerely believe a statement made earlier, if the big boys were involved that may well be the reason for his defeat. To be more truthful, I find it difficult to watch Selby, IMO he is one of the most boring players I have ever seen. Forty years ago (now 75 & cripple) I would have backed myself to beat him. O'S and Hendry are without doubt the greatest players to ever pick up a cue.
          You must have been good. No miss snooker is hard to beat, doesn't matter if it's one visit or three visits separated by two great safeties.

Comment

He didn't threw it away, the other guy put him under pressure by leveling the game and then played rock hard snooker till the bitter end. Selby was better this time. O'Sullivan made more mistakes towards the end, his safety was average at times and he couldn't take his chances. In the professional game that sort of performance can't be forgiven by the opponent. End of.

They have a good rivalry, the game has been missing that for years. It's good for the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              Funny but i didn't see where he said best player of all time, you made that bit up lol
              Selby won, Ronnie lost, get over it
              he said he got beaten by the best all round player. err no! if selby wins another say three world titles playing the way he does then i might come around.. over it. don't make me laugh i don't really give two hoots

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                he said he got beaten by the best all round player. err no! if selby wins another say three world titles playing the way he does then i might come around.. over it. don't make me laugh i don't really give two hoots
                Best all round (in the match) not of all time

Comment

Very sad OP.

This is only the third time (at least) ROS has squandered a big lead in a major final against Selby. He lost all the last 4 frames in the Welsh 2008, and again lost all the last 4 in 2010 Masters. O'Sullivan squandered a big lead in their only other World Championship meeting too. I guess some people either have very short memories or just haven't been following the game long, but lets not let facts get in the way of conspiracies. It won't surprise me if some dullard suggests that ROS threw all these matches against Selby next.

Comment

A lot of these kind of stories come around about pressure being put on sportsmen because someone has something on them, I remember one around Gerrard leaving Liverpool, and him getting a wee warning from certain people in Liverpool that it would not be in his interest to leave, how true are they? I don't know, would it be unthinkable for something like this to be true, unfortunately not, but I just think in this case he got ground down, by the torturer , if it's really really hard to watch that dirge ,imagine what it must be like to play against it , it would turn anyone's brain to mush , I think Selby knew this and used it to his full advantage, so well done him.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Best all round (in the match) not of all time
                      in the match, of our time, the best ever. wtf.. fact is selby play the other one of the two ronnies on monday

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        in the match, of our time, the best ever. wtf.. fact is selby play the other one of the two ronnies on monday
                        There's only one Ronnie and he lost the game which he lead by a good margin because his opponent put him under pressure and he couldn't handle it. It's very simple.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                          Even the greatest players lose a World Final occasionally, infact, the only multiple World Champion to have a 100% win record in World Finals is Joe Davis! Interesting to look back though, both Reardon and Hendry won their first six World Finals before losing in their seventh. Ronnie won his first five and has now lost in his sixth.

Multiple World Champions of the modern era and their World Final records:

John Spencer WWLW
                          Ray Reardon WWWWWWL
                          Alex Higgins WLLW
                          Steve Davis WWWLLWWW
                          Stephen Hendry WWWWWWLWL
                          John Higgins WLWWW
                          Mark Williams LWW
                          Ronnie O'Sullivan WWWWWL

All time (including the 1960's challenge matches):
                          Joe Davis WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
                          Walter Donaldson WLLWLLLL
                          Fred Davis LLWWLWWWWWWLLL
                          John Pulman LLWWWWWWWWL
                          THAT is brilliant information and thanks for putting it up!!!

I think ROS wasn't hungry enough. Last year, he said he needed the money which is the wrong reason to win. He got away with it last year, but this year, he had an opponent hungry enough to do whatever was necessary. MS has the skills to win in any way possible playing garbage snooker (by my estimate only of course).
                          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Selby has a good record against O'Sullivan in finals he stands 4-3 now, so i guess he knows how to beat Ronnie where others don't

Comment

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
                              I hope i dont get in to trouble for saying this but i heard from a good source a Professional Gambler from the London area that Ro's was told to loose the final against Mark or some people would expose some bad things about Ro's.

hope this was not the case or surely this would need looked in to.
                              I lol'ed at this one.

Comment

Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
                                I lol'ed at this one.
                                HI The only way that Selby won against Osullivan he fluked a lot of key balls and also he slowed Ronnie Down because Ronnie is a quick player and he does not like Robertson Selby and also Peter Ebdon as they are grinding players.

He missed the pink in the side pocket because i think that Ronnie needed the Black Ball to win the Frame

Comment

Working...
                                X