Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superb 145

Comment

• This why I don't usually like the underdogs going through, we don't have much of a final now. Good stuff from Selby in the last frame though, the second part of the break to get to 145 was easy, but those delicate shots at the start to develop the black spot area were just superb. :smile:

Comment

• Selby knows he won't be punished i.e. pressure off ..... naturally it is a cakewalk for him right now with still being on his B game throughout the tournament except the decider in quarter final where he went up a gear .... what a treat Ding vs Selby could have been ... feel robbed

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
          This why I don't usually like the underdogs going through, we don't have much of a final now. Good stuff from Selby in the last frame though, the second part of the break to get to 145 was easy, but those delicate shots at the start to develop the black spot area were just superb. :smile:
          Exactly my thoughts! Reminds me of the Woollaston final against Higgins where even though Higgins played alright, the final is a step too far for these types of players and the reality is they are one offs. Wilson is never going to repeat this level again and probably won't even qualify for the crucible. There is a reason they are ranked where they are and in truth we are only witnessing his usual level in the final today.

Comment

• I agree, almost everytime a seed losses the final frame decider the following match is a walk in the park for the next guy.

I had a feeling this would be a walkover today, some nice breaks and pots and a great 145b but how many frames has Wilson thrown away, 5-0 i think they said it could have been at one point.

Odds on him winning now should be mega but only 14-1 on betfair, 50-1 and worth aquid or two.

WC qualifiers next and then the big one....

Ticket sale times for next year announced all ready and if i remember the masters went on sale during or just after the WC also.
            They put these out far to early imo, i know why they do it on the last day as everyone is in the mood but it gives your bank account no chance to recover.

Comment

• We haven't had much luck with major finals in the last two seasons, 9-3 or 10-3 scorelines have been way too common, and they've most happened because one of the players was completely out of sorts, unfortunately. Wilson has just missed too many sitters, and two-visit snooker has been enough for Selby to win almost every frame so far.

I have learned not to give up on a final after one session, but this time a comeback seems very unlikely. I suppose I'll just have to watch the cycling then. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                Exactly my thoughts! Reminds me of the Woollaston final against Higgins where even though Higgins played alright, the final is a step too far for these types of players and the reality is they are one offs. Wilson is never going to repeat this level again and probably won't even qualify for the crucible. There is a reason they are ranked where they are and in truth we are only witnessing his usual level in the final today.
                No disrespect to them, but I'm getting a little tired of these type of players bringing out their absolute best game against Ding and then they play rubbish in the next match. I'm sure it happens to all of the top players, but it feels like it happens to Ding the most in the past 12 months.

Comment

• Shame Gary couldn't settle but the players he has beaten to reach the final he thoroughly deserves to be there
                  It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• utterly cynical performance by Selby. Well done Mark

Comment

• Well played Mark! Not the best final in terms of number of frames, but Selby was playing really good and his long potting was pretty high standard. Bring on World Championship now, I cant wait ....

Comment

• Good centuries from both players in the final session, but obviously the match as a whole was disappointing and much too short. Nice ceremony though, as always in the Chinese events. That poster was a nice touch. :smile:

So, congratulations to Mark Selby. He is now the World champion, the German Masters champion, the China Open champion and the world number one, so he goes to the Crucible as the king of snooker. :smile:

I will now take a break from snooker for a week, with maybe just one eye on the WC qualifiers, then perhaps some thoughts on the World title contenders. :wink:

Comment

• Disappointing and much too short.
                          Hopefully the Worlds will be more
                          exciting and closer.

Comment

• Another poor final this year, but at least this can't happen at the crucible with the longer matches I suppose.

Odrl, I have to say you made a bold move choosing out-of-form Ding in the fantasy-point game, but it payed off in the end with Ding nearly reaching the final (what a decider in the semis, by the way). You regained the throne for now, but I ain't giving up just yet...

Comment

• Originally Posted by _royle View Post
                              Another poor final this year, but at least this can't happen at the crucible with the longer matches I suppose.

Odrl, I have to say you made a bold move choosing out-of-form Ding in the fantasy-point game, but it payed off in the end with Ding nearly reaching the final (what a decider in the semis, by the way). You regained the throne for now, but I ain't giving up just yet...
                              I think I bought Ding before the Welsh Open, because he had done so well in the previous editions of that tournament, but he cost me a lot of points with his 1st round defeats. Not selling him was a gamble, but his form had to return at some point. :smile:

Too bad he lost that decider against Wilson actually, he would have gained another point for the frame, five points for being runner-up and probably quite a few points for frames won in the final. It would have been a decent gap ahead of the World Championship. But then again, the matches in the WC are much longer, so it will be more important to pick the right team there. :wink:

Comment

• I think overall, this was still a good event. Just lost some to bets though for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X