2015 Betfred World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    People were saying that about Selby not long ago. He could still win it.

I worry more about Ding's chances than Trump's.
    He could but something will need to change and his whole game will need to develop, i wouldn't say Selby is very Jimmy White though.....lol...but he does what he needs to do to win and whether it's pretty or not is very capable of winning paying poorly. I agree about Ding he doesn't perform well on big stages like the Masters or WC, where as Bingham was desperate to play in the one table set up and Murphy seems to thrive on it.
    Last edited by CueAntW147; 3 May 2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• It´s much too early to write off Ding and Trump, they´re both about the age O´Sullivan had when he won the WC for the first time. 10 years from now, Ding and Trump will still be in the field of favorits while McGill will be the only player from this years quarters that aren´t past his prime. An interesting final today I expect Murphy to build a lead, that he´ll maintain tomorrow. But both players have so absolutely earned their place.
      ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
      "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• So, the season is nearly over, only the World final remains...

Murphy against Bingham is a pretty infrequent pairing, so there won't be any needle or any score to settle, and there is little to write about in terms of memorable matches between them. Bingham has only really been a top player since 2011, and he did beat Murphy in the semi-finals of his breakthrough tournament - the 2011 Australian Open. Since then Murphy has one win over Bingham in the major events, while the rest of their matches have all been minor ones, over a short distance.

A lot of people see Bingham as someone who doesn't really belong in a World final, some even say he could potentially ruin the final by not being competitive enough, but it's worth noting that it's Bingham who has had the tougher draw here. He's beaten two of the four or five big tournament favourites, while Murphy hasn't really beaten any. Bingham has played one-visit, or at the most two-visit snooker all through the tournament, never really getting involved in any scrappy stuff, and he has played his best when it mattered the most. His demeanor this week has reminded me of Andrew Higginson's run to the final of the Welsh Open in 2007, he has looked very relaxed and confident, mostly playing with a smile on his face, and he doesn't really look like cracking at any point. Murphy is the bigger name and will start as favourite, but the achievements of both players in the last five years or so are virtually the same, so there is no reason for Bingham to think Murphy is out of his league. He was very emotional after his win last night, so the worry for him could be the same as it was for Hawkins, it could be that he has nothing left for the final now. I hope that's not the case. :smile:

Murphy has played the best snooker these past two weeks, no doubt about it. He is playing the same way as when he won the Masters earlier in the season, basically going for anything that's potable and getting most, so his opponents have not really been able to keep him away from the table so far. His scoring in the second session of his match against Hawkins was superb, and if he has a session or two like that in the final, he will be very difficult to beat. One weakness could potentially be the fact that Murphy hasn't really been in a match yet. So far he has been winning comfortably, without really finding himself in a high-pressure situation, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts if Bingham sticks with him. Normally he is pretty solid under pressure, but he has had some pretty weak moments in the past as well, particularly in his defeats to Robertson in the Wuxi Classic and to Fu in the UK Championship this season. He was giving Hawkins quite a few chances throughout the match, but Hawkins wasn't really scoring strongly, and it could be a different story with Bingham.

I think this Championship as a whole has been remarkably fast-paced, with a lot of fluent and open matches, and these two can take a lot of the credit for that, so I expect an open and attacking game here, and very few scrappy and prolonged frames. Although you never know what pressure can do to players, especially if the match remains close... I think Murphy will give Bingham every respect right from the start of the match, and I expect him to be a couple of frames stronger in the end. Murphy to win 18-14. :smile:

Comment

• And Murphy going for his second WC 10 years after his first one, can't believe its been 10 years, the last man do that was Alex Higgins........1972 & 1982.
          and Bingham going for his first after all the years of trying, what a story this would be, makes for an interesting final, as both are very fluent capable players.

So it's Murphy the machine v Bingham the heart........;-)

Comment

• My Mrs rings her mum every Sunday morning, after her call today she told me the most astounding thing I've heard in ages, my in-laws who have never watched a game of snooker in their entire lives, watched and thoroughly enjoyed the whole of last night match! I can't tell you how amazed I was to hear this. 2 new fans peeps.

-
            The fast and the furious,
            The slow and labourious,
            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
              My Mrs rings her mum every Sunday morning, after her call today she told me the most astounding thing I've heard in ages, my in-laws who have never watched a game of snooker in their entire lives, watched and thoroughly enjoyed the whole of last night match! I can't tell you how amazed I was to hear this. 2 new fans peeps.

-
              that's because where you have a theatre you have drama and people appreciate that even if they don't know much about snooker itself.............was looking at the crucible audience with people of all ages, male, female etc, that's one of the things i've always loved about snooker its never been age/gender restrictive to play or watch so brings people together, bit like this forum in many ways.

Comment

• Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                And Murphy going for his second WC 10 years after his first one, can't believe its been 10 years, the last man do that was Alex Higgins........1972 & 1982.
                and Bingham going for his first after all the years of trying, what a story this would be, makes for an interesting final, as both are very fluent capable players.

So it's Murphy the machine v Bingham the heart........;-)
                I said to a friend at the quarters, amongst the other players mentioned at the time, "Murphy - would love him to be a two-times winner and not a one-hit wonder", "Bingham - always have watched him and enjoyed his game, be amazing if he could do it, be so pleased for him"

cant wait for this arvo
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• If Murphy has his long game sharp it could be
                  a long day for Bingham. Bingham needs to make
                  the most of every opportunity.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    I said to a friend at the quarters, amongst the other players mentioned at the time, "Murphy - would love him to be a two-times winner and not a one-hit wonder", "Bingham - always have watched him and enjoyed his game, be amazing if he could do it, be so pleased for him"

cant wait for this arvo
                    Quite right would be pleased for either to win, just thought there was something about the way Murphy was playing right from the start that made me think he'll take some beating, some of the long balls he's knocked in and the way he's cueing, all down to how much Binghams got left in the tank as he's beat some good players along the way, just hope his final wasn't last night, but both will be up for it.
                    Last edited by CueAntW147; 3 May 2015, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                      My Mrs rings her mum every Sunday morning, after her call today she told me the most astounding thing I've heard in ages, my in-laws who have never watched a game of snooker in their entire lives, watched and thoroughly enjoyed the whole of last night match! I can't tell you how amazed I was to hear this. 2 new fans peeps.

-
                      It's a beautiful thing!

Comment

• Afternoon fellas

Comment

• I have a wonderful feeling about this Final.

Game on! :snooker:

Comment

• I wish Stuart will go and win one more match here. I really like Shaun, but he already has won it once and it would be great to have another name on the trophy.
                            In their respective semi matches, Stuart has scored more 50+ breaks than Shaun did (14:13), so it is extremely tied, both have been scored pretty heavily. Stuart has to play top notch safety game, I think this is only department of his game that can improve.
                            He might be a underdog here, but I still find some of the posts funny - has not he been heavy underdog against Trump and Sullivan?
                            I believe he will make match of it, he has not peaked yet, I doubt Shaun can improve his performance from the semi-final. Shaun has looked more dominant in his matches, but this one is the toughest one.
                            Watching forward, should be great and close, I think it can go 18-15 either way, I will just go with Stuart, he has been so solid whole tournament and seems to be a nice guy also.
                            Whoever wins will go up to the second place in world rankings as I checked.

Comment

• In a way. I'm glad there are no 'personalities' in this final. It's going to be just about the snooker.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                                In a way. I'm glad there are no 'personalities' in this final. It's going to be just about the snooker.
                                Exactly! Just 2 very likeable lads...and good friends as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X