2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    All time greatest in the modern era..(no Reardon, Griffiths, Thorburn, Spencer or Alex Higgins) If Selby wins this year he moves ahead of Mark Williams. This is the top 10 for me.

Hendry
    O'Sullivan
    Davis
    Higgins
    Selby
    Williams
    White
    Doherty
    Parrott
    Robertson
    Agree with this mostly, but I'd have to count Reardon, Griffiths, Thorburn, Spencer, Alex Higgins as modern era. I consider "Pot Black" as the start of the "Modern era" (but then I'm possibly one of the older members here), if not certainly 1977 onwards. Reardon and Spencer would be ahead of Doherty, Parrott and Robertson for me and probably Alex Higgins behind Spencer. I never really rated Parrott as a player (or as a commentator/pundit for that matter).
    Last edited by richiet; 26 April 2017, 12:37 PM.
    Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      He has a serious case of Cherry Blossom poisoning.......cringing at times to listen to .
      What's wrong with Willie thorne? General question

Comment

• I totally agree about Willie Thorne, the only thing about him to keep him relevant is that he used to break build well. But he's nothing special in that department anymore, and way over-critical. Everything's "careless".

Comment

• It's his obsession with big breaks that gets me, and that a game's not worth watching unless the players are banging in centuries all the time.
          Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

• He apparently was a nightmare in practice, because he'd reset the balls if he didn't get on a 147 in the first few shots. That's why he's renowned for numerous 147s.

Comment

• Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
              What's wrong with Willie thorne? General question
              Just listen when he commentates on a Selby match......his tongue needs removing from somewhere .
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• I find the way he constantly bigs up Selby incessantly during commentary almost embarrassing. Never critisizes a poor Selby shot either. , Is a good commentar not impartial ?

Comment

• Great stuff from Selby today but did he peak a bit too soon? We'll see, in the meantime it's time we get a proper decider, c'mon Ronnie

Comment

• Originally Posted by TheIslandProf View Post
                    I totally agree about Willie Thorne he's way over-critical. Everything's "careless".
                    Yes, Thorne is ultra-critical and boasts how he'd have played a better shot. Then you get Ebdon, who praises everyone and everything.
                    In the commentary box together they'd cancel each other out.

Comment

• For anyone who missed it - watch the Selby match v Marco Fu on catch-up quite a flawless standard of snooker in last session - In my opinion his 143 break is now the greatest clearance ever. Best I ever saw for sure - Better than Alex Higgins famous 69 - have to say yes
                      Last edited by Byrom; 26 April 2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• It's always interesting to view the stats after a match, but I wonder why luck isn't included?
                        Luck is a part of snooker, just as safety is.
                        I'd like to see a Rub Of The Green stat.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                          For anyone who missed it - watch the Selby match v Marco Fu on catch-up quite a flawless standard of snooker in last session - In my opinion his 143 break is now the greatest clearance ever. Best I ever saw for sure - Better than Alex Higgins famous 69 - have to say yes
                          Different sort of pressure though Byrom .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Luck would be an interesting stat, but pretty hard to track really. Flukes are easy enough to spot, but what about little canons that players may or may not have played, or snookers that were possible to figure out but not likely to be played? You'd need to decide how much you were going to give the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                              Just listen when he commentates on a Selby match......his tongue needs removing from somewhere .
                              I never really thought much about it. I use to find virgo annoying. I actually like Dennis taylor, Clive Everton when he was around.

I like ken Doherty and Steve Davis lol i think they are funny. Especially Steve Davis, he talks alot of nonsense and makes one man jokes.

Peter ebdon i agree he's a dodgy commentator. He will say like "he's played that really well" followed "he's played it too hard" on the same shot because he judged the shot wrong.

And yesterday in one of the games he was talking about one of the players in the Maguire Hawkins game to play like a blue off three cushions into the middle hahaha.

Not everything thinks of stupid shots like ebdon and he mentioned it twice as if yeah he's the dogs bollocks and Willie thorne just stayed silent haha. Classic man

Comment

• Originally Posted by TheIslandProf View Post
                                Luck would be an interesting stat, but pretty hard to track really. Flukes are easy enough to spot, but what about little canons that players may or may not have played, or snookers that were possible to figure out but not likely to be played? You'd need to decide how much you were going to give the benefit of the doubt.
                                Judd is the luckiest player. Take away his luck he will struggle in Q school. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X