2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    That's it then... This might be my last post of any substance for a while, so I hope everyone has a great summer. :smile:
    Thank you for your heroic efforts over the years - your summaries have become a hallmark of major tournaments and I have no idea how you even remember it all!

Comment

• I don't know how people enjoy these games, I just find it torturous to watch players lose massive leads like that. Can't imagine how Williams family felt. This game took several years away from my life I think. That pink, jesus.

I like a nice 18-12 final scoreline

Comment

• Originally Posted by richo View Post
        People can have their own opinion. Resorting to abusing people is actually rather unpleasant and just shows people’s level. I personally really don’t want to see him win it.
        You make a totally ridiculous, idiotic comment so of course I abused you and I will abuse you again, ********.

Comment

• Congratulations to Mark Williams on winning his third World title. He showed his true character in the final frame with that break and fully deserved the title.

It is going to be interesting to see if Williams or Higgins can keep their fabulous performances going next season, O'Sullivan as well.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Ha ha ha superb sport
            Brilliant
            man of his word

so what was the important subject he previous said he would discuss?

[got snooker into the press big-time]
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• I'd really like a younger player to actually get close to the top players next season. Lisowski winning one of the majors would be good to see, I like the way he plays.

It's pretty much been the same players winning triple crown events for over a decade now and the few surprises there have been has been older players who have been on the tour a long time.

I don't imagine we will ever have three players like Higgins, Williams and O'Sullivan turning professional at the same time again but having just one who is at least close to any of them would be good (although obviously it's unlikely to ever get another ROS as he is a once in a lifetime player).

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                Hendry was nowhere near the same player by time he retired - he was still a threat and could raise his game against O'Sullivan in particular, but he wasn't winning tournaments, wasn't even getting past the early rounds. You could argue the same of Williams, but Hendry lacked the tools for the modern game.

Thankfully, his much-vaunted comeback was smashed to bits when he was soundly beaten at the world seniors last season.
                Murphy's coach Chris Henry says that no ones cue action is totally dead straight and can only be straight at the moment of contact, so if you play with a bent cue that's somehow straight at the moment of contact it's crucial to always play with a bent cue, and crucial that the bend is the same.
                Hendry's cue action was forged around a bent cue and when it broke he went through several brand new straight ones, couldn't play to the same level and needed coaching, and that filled his head with thoughts other than 'pot the ball and get the white over there'.

Just a thought, but IMO Steve Davis in his prime, Ding and Wilson had/have totally straight actions so Chris Henry is only half right.

A good tournament, and my prediction won it and Alan McManus is surely the very best commentator there is right now; insightful into both break building and tactics and some nice little superlatives mixed with some pretty scottish snooker slang terms, great stuff Alan.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                  Thank you for your heroic efforts over the years - your summaries have become a hallmark of major tournaments and I have no idea how you even remember it all!
                  Thanks for the compliment, it's been fun for me as well. :smile:

Comment

• John Virgo is by far the best commentator that I have enjoyed listening to over the years as he's not only totally knowledgeable of the game but is also funny with his quips.

Comment

• Originally Posted by paddiboro View Post
                      John Virgo is by far the best commentator that I have enjoyed listening to over the years as he's not only totally knowledgeable of the game but is also funny with his quips.
                      I like JV, but I think he has slightly lost the balance between adding to and intruding on the game. Just starting to say some unnecessary stuff. I always liked Clive Everton and Terry Griffiths, but you don't hear either anymore. I do like Alan and Dennis though.

Comment

• Hi Guys,

Haven't been on here for a bit.

Yep,, I think it was a bit of gamesmanship from Williams, tbh. What a final though,, awesome.

Congrats to Williams. Just edged it imo on play..
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

• What a final. The best I have ever seen. How Williams responded to those Higgins comebacks I'll never know. Just about anyone else surely would have cracked.
                          Truly a privilege to watch. A final like that will be very hard to match.
                          Class of 1992. will continue to be a factor in years to come.

Comment

• I met Dennis Taylor in 1985 after his win over Steve Davis at the Chorlton Police club in Manchester .where he played all these coppers and told jokes at the same time and was very funny .

Comment

• Well done to Mark Williams its incredible that he is World Champion at 43. The class of 92 are still going strong but I don't agree with John Parrott that we won't see the like of these players again. I expect Bingtao to improve massively in the next few years and there are alot more Chinese players coming down the line.

Comment

• Originally Posted by s.h442 View Post
                                Well done to Mark Williams its incredible that he is World Champion at 43. The class of 92 are still going strong but I don't agree with John Parrott that we won't see the like of these players again. I expect Bingtao to improve massively in the next few years and there are alot more Chinese players coming down the line.
                                I predict many future battles between Bingtao and Kyren Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                                X