No announcement yet.

2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic win for Jones. I didn't watch the entire match, but from what I saw he really fought hard for every frame there. You could see how much he wanted it by the way he celebrated after winning one of the early frames yesterday to stay in touch. :smile:

Disappointing for Murphy then, but at least he didn't seem too bothered by the recent injury, so he won't have to obsess about what could have been...

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    Fair point, but I'm not sure the odds would have been "very" different. I sometimes check odds for matches and I can't remember seeing someone being a 1/9 favorite. It routinely happens in tennis, but not so much in snooker.
    I suppose you could check what the odds are for Trump against Wakelin. That should probably be the extreme case of all the 1st round matches this year. :smile:

Comment

• Great result!
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• It's not grammatically correct and sounds quite colloquial and passive voice but no one would misunderstand you if you said it and I would say it is a fairly often used expression.

'I was sat at the bar when x happened' etc. It's wrong but sounds fine in conversation. People wouldn't be confused if you said it.

Grammar is just a set of rules for people to use and abuse at their whim and that is how language evolves.

Comment

• What a pleasant and entertaining championship so far: Good Ronnie comeback, great and exciting matches between Carter and Dott as well as between Murphy and Jones, all with the right outcome of course. Allen through and Selby out. I could not have wished for more so far!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
            Ah! I see what you were doing here. You're a RO fan and were using reverse psychology on fate. It worked

I'm disappointed. RO is good for the game, no one can deny that, but I'm not looking forward to a tournament dominated by one player.
            Busted

I can still enjoy the tournament when he's not there but I do think the tournament is better when he is there in the latter stages. I'd much rather see something like last year with Ding putting in a great performance and beating Ronnie rather than Ronnie just not turning up like in the China Open or the first few frames of this tournament.

I am generally pretty pessimistic with regards to who I want to win though, last year every single quarter final went the opposite way that I wanted. Could have made a few quid if I'd put an accumulator on!

Comment

• Two early upsets, Murphy and Selby out!!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                Two early upsets, Murphy and Selby out!!!
                I'm not upset

Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
                Busted

I can still enjoy the tournament when he's not there but I do think the tournament is better when he is there in the latter stages. I'd much rather see something like last year with Ding putting in a great performance and beating Ronnie rather than Ronnie just not turning up like in the China Open or the first few frames of this tournament.

I am generally pretty pessimistic with regards to who I want to win though, last year every single quarter final went the opposite way that I wanted. Could have made a few quid if I'd put an accumulator on!
                Yeah, RO can be utterly mesmerising on form. I just get a bit tired of him, I suppose in the same way people did Davis in the 80s.
                Last edited by Billy; 23 April 2018, 06:23 PM.
                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• But Davis was boring to watch whereas ROS takes Snooker to Art, like Alex did, but he wins A LOT.

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                    But Davis was boring to watch [...]
                    Well that's a matter of opinion if ever I saw it

Comment

• Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                      Two early upsets, Murphy and Selby out!!!
                      I didn´t like the match between Murphy and Jones at all, but at least Jones had stood the pressure, and he play well the final 2 frames

Comment

• What is Ricky wearing on his feet ? Look like black converse type trainers . Now no football shirts , and I don’t mind that . .........but trainers on players feet . Surely a no no .
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• He has "exemption" due to bad back etc....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                            I suppose you could check what the odds are for Trump against Wakelin. That should probably be the extreme case of all the 1st round matches this year. :smile:
                            Trump is 1/7. (87.5%)
                            Higgins is 1/8 (88.9%)

Mark Williams and Neil Robertson are also 1/7.

Comment

• I do realise it's probably the pressure, but Carrington is very poor

Comment

• As above: you have to take out the Bookies cut ie a 50\50 would see both 4-5 or 4-6 on.....

Comment

Working...
                                X