2018 Champion of Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by zygalski View Post
    Can't say I'm a fan of Wilson's cue action with the deliberate pause just before delivering the cue.
    Its what I like to call overly coached to the point where all natural ability is reduced and the robotic style of play takes over.

Not surprised working with an old school coach like Stark who was never really much of a player. Good for him to get into good habits and practice properly but I feel to go to the next level you need to allow a certain amount of freedom in your game and to me Wilson over thinks everything to the detriment of his game.

Comment

• Apparently the slow start to his shot, which becomes a pause under pressure is a natural thing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Guitarnolife View Post
        Seems you might as well start lacing your shoes
        Or watch the Strictly results with my mrs.
        :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
          Apparently the slow start to his shot, which becomes a pause under pressure is a natural thing.
          Nah that's not true its something he started doing after working with Stark.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            Nah that's not true its something he started doing after working with Stark.
            I honestly thought Stark had said that he had tried to coach it out of him, but gave up.

I can see the point of it though: as it helps maintain acceleration through the CB and it is far more pronounced when he is under pressure and\or struggling.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1BcC2eTX0

Watch him here and I know its not pressure as such but still a competitive game and you can see a much more flowing natural player. Wilson not played like this at all since working with Stark, who I don't think is a good coach IMHO.

Comment

• Thanks, I'll have a look in between the football matches.

Comment

• if you are talking about that tiny pause on the forward stroke just after the back pause, a friend of mine does exactly the same
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Its what I like to call overly coached to the point where all natural ability is reduced and the robotic style of play takes over.
                    I think this is bang on the money.

How many players - especially those in their late 30s/early 40s - have we heard say that they've consciously sped up their game of late, to try and encourage their natural ability?
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Not surprised working with an old school coach like Stark who was never really much of a player. Good for him to get into good habits and practice properly but I feel to go to the next level you need to allow a certain amount of freedom in your game and to me Wilson over thinks everything to the detriment of his game.
                      Totally agree, its not enjoyable or comfortable to watch either, and it will always hold him back in the longer term i think.

Not to mention he's also practiced a lot with Ebdon, not sure if that's a good thing or not ?
                      Last edited by CueAntW147; 11 November 2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• I have to say that I am looking at snooker through new eyes as a beginner and I have been watching the matches this weekend. I am absolutely enthralled!! Why is this game not more popular in the US? I truly had never really been exposed to snooker and I wish I had. I love pool and have played successfully for years but I am head over heals in love with snooker! And I don't even have my table installed yet! I can't wait!

Comment

• Originally Posted by chad0131 View Post
                          I have to say that I am looking at snooker through new eyes as a beginner and I have been watching the matches this weekend. I am absolutely enthralled!! Why is this game not more popular in the US? I truly had never really been exposed to snooker and I wish I had. I love pool and have played successfully for years but I am head over heals in love with snooker! And I don't even have my table installed yet! I can't wait!
                          That's great to hear mate !

Comment

I have to say that I am looking at snooker through new eyes as a beginner and I have been watching the matches this weekend. I am absolutely enthralled!! Why is this game not more popular in the US? I truly had never really been exposed to snooker and I wish I had. I love pool and have played successfully for years but I am head over heals in love with snooker! And I don't even have my table installed yet! I can't wait!
                            great to hear you are enjoying the game
                            hopefully we will see a great last session in about 25mins
                            welcome to the fraternity
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The best is still to come!! The UK Championship in December. The Masters in January 2019 and then Thee Event of the year for me...... The World Championship from The Crucible in Sheffield in April 2019. Doesn't get any better. Enjoy.

Comment

• Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                                That's great to hear mate !
                                Agreed! Nice to know it's appreciated on at least some level outside of Europe.
                                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Working...
                                X