2019 World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    There seems to be general agreement between the BBC and Eurosport pundits, including Ron, that Trump is somehow taking the game to a new level. I really don't see that - he's playing out of his skin in this match, but is this really better than O'Sullivan has produced over the years? Is he scoring better than Hendry?
    It's also a question of time - plenty of players have looked unstoppable for prolonged spells, but 18 months, 2 years later it's all come to a halt, a la Selby, Williams, O'Sullivan etc.
    Well he's just equally Hendry's own centuries in a single match record and we could easily see another one from him tonight to break that. So yes he is scoring better than Hendry.

He's managed to combine an excellent safety game with the unbelievable eye for a pot he has always had, other players have attempted to do this and had some success with it in patches, but the formula Judds employed last night and this afternoon genuinely could become the go to in a couple of years if he wins a few tournaments with it. I think he needs to find a way of playing the way he has in this final in his other matches before we start saying he's taking the game to a new level but he's certainly on the cusp of doing so.

Comment

• Originally Posted by aaryal View Post
      What are you on about? Higgins and Sullivan did meet at a world champs final. Sullivan won ....
      I meant never met in another final aside from Ronnie's first win. They're completely different players now.

(And I wasn't old enough to be watching snooker when they did meet, so selfishly I'd like to see them meet again)

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
        Wow! Ridiculous prediction from SD on that second-to-last red, and then Judd gets down and plays exactly that shot!

Hard luck, Judd.
        That was amazing. He pulled it off to perfection

Comment

• Judd Trump is playing incredibly, but it doesn´t mean that can dominate snooker for a decade or so. It means that can be consistent and reach semi-finals and finals often, but there are other opponents that could have his same level during next years (ROS, Robertson, Selby, why not Higgins, some of the young guys when solve his mind issues...)

Comment

• Originally Posted by snookerball View Post
            Well he's just equally Hendry's own centuries in a single match record and we could easily see another one from him tonight to break that. So yes he is scoring better than Hendry.
            "He's just matched Hendry, therefore he's doing better than Hendry" - an interesting logic..

Other players have done it in patches? Higgins and O'Sullivan have been doing it for over a decade!

Trump's been magnificent, but I still think the best snooker I've seen played at the Worlds is the O'Sullivan-Hendry semi or O'Sullivan's, while the best in general is probably O'Sullivan-Walden at the Masters or the entire 2013 worlds - if Trump can play like that over the duration of a worlds then he will certainly be up there.
            Last edited by gavpowell; 6 May 2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Yeah i thought Ronnie and the pundits were overdoing it a bit

Judd winning will be a great performance, but i don't think he is taking the game to another level by much. Ronnie/Robbo and some other's best still gives Judd fits

I do like Judd's controlled aggression in this final

Him winning will be great for the game

Comment

• Originally Posted by cesard View Post
                Judd Trump is playing incredibly, but it doesn´t mean that can dominate snooker for a decade or so. It means that can be consistent and reach semi-finals and finals often, but there are other opponents that could have his same level during next years (ROS, Robertson, Selby, why not Higgins, some of the young guys when solve his mind issues...)
                Next year will be the real test. If he wins the UK Championship this year and gets to the final (or somehow does one better and breaks the curse) of the Worlds next year I think we could be looking at the road to a domination for at least a couple of years. But as you say there's a hell of a lot of players who could stop that from happening and it would be something of a remarkable achievement for a player to even come close to domination in the era of any event, let alone the triple crown events or the seasons in general.

The obvious contender of his generation is Robertson who is also about to come into his prime. Could see these two sharing titles for a while.

Selby is always a threat and it would be wrong to count him out as we go into the next decade.

Kyren Wilson has the ability to go on and make a few World finals/a couple of titles at this rate.

Ding is desperately seeking his return to being in finals on a much more regular basis.

If Jack Lisowski and Luca Brecel could get themselves mentally straightened out I can see them threatening the back end of major tournaments regularly in 5-6 years.

And then of course you've got O'Sullivan, Williams and Higgins who have the ability to hang around for another decade or so if they are able to absolutely apply themselves.

Comment

• The snooker Gods certainly couldn't have set the scene any sweeter for Higgins fans. Perfect scenario for one of THE all-time great comebacks to happen, cementing Higgins' status as grand master of the game.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Diesel3390 View Post
                    The snooker Gods certainly couldn't have set the scene any sweeter for Higgins fans. Perfect scenario for one of THE all-time great comebacks to happen, cementing Higgins' status as grand master of the game.
                    Stop doing drugs, it's fried your brain

Comment

• Honestly, I'm a big Judd Trump fan, and I think his performance over 3 straight sessions is a unique achievement. Realistically though, he's never done it before, and he's not ever going to reproduce this form consistently. I've had 8 frustrating years following him, including the majority of this championship. That doesn't magically change after 2 days.

This performance is another level, I agree with that. As a one off, it is better than I've seen from Hendry or O'Sullivan. Will Trump win more WCs? I hope so. Will I have years more if frustration at under-par performances? More likely than not.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Diesel3390 View Post
                        The snooker Gods certainly couldn't have set the scene any sweeter for Higgins fans. Perfect scenario for one of THE all-time great comebacks to happen, cementing Higgins' status as grand master of the game.
                        I'll have some of what your happen. Although I'm tempted to bung a few quid on him to comeback 18-16 at 66/1

Comment

I'll have some of what your happen. Although I'm tempted to bung a few quid on him to comeback 18-16 at 66/1
                          I wouldn't blame you if you bet on 18-16.
                          Honestly though, as a die-hard Higgins fan since 1996 (yes, that long!) this is one of the most devastating set of years, seeing him lose 3 years in a row. But I have a feeling he won't be as disappointed this year. He's actually played brilliantly in this final. There's not much one can do if Trump is hitting the craziest shots and having the form of his life. Higgins didn't play poor, Judd just had a blinder.

I'd love it if Higgins did a comeback though

Comment

The obvious contender of his generation is Robertson who is also about to come into his prime. Could see these two sharing titles for a while.
                            Robertson's prime was a few years ago - he may have a second prime but at 37 it's more likely we'll see him start to decline. He'll win a few more yet, certainly, but I would expect any future contenders to be from the younger crop - Gary Wilson looks to be ready to go, but I thought the same of Michael White and Anthony McGill about 5 years ago and they've fallen apart since then.

Comment

• Hoping Higgins can win the first half-session 4-0. There's bugger-all else on TV.
                              Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

• Gonna be a very short night

Comment

Working...
                                X