Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will potting angles change with the use of stun, follow or screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
    The OP is still here.

Pottr pm me yesterday giving me some advice and apologised for the discussion going off tangent, though it's not his fault and I enjoy the banter anyway. Good man.

But this topic is becoming as controversial as the dominant eye theory or which ball to look at when striking the white.

There is no controversy. Controversy is claiming the earth is flat, despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary.

Throw effects have been proven beyond doubt and are totally obvious to see - when you know what you are looking for.

What we are dealing with here is willful ignorance.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      Yeah, i can spot bullshiiitters a mile off pal.

Was there any need for:
      It was a generalised comment on how Americans differ from presenting documentaries or commentating on sports compared to British, nothing insulting at all. I agree with most of what you have written in this thread (but not in others I might add), I didn't make any kind of suggestion otherwise yet you have got your heckles up. You seem to be a very defensive character.

Comment

Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
        It was a generalised comment on how Americans differ from presenting documentaries or commentating on sports compared to British, nothing insulting at all. I agree with most of what you have written in this thread (but not in others I might add), I didn't make any kind of suggestion otherwise yet you have got your heckles up. You seem to be a very defensive character.

Bollox. It was a gratuitous dig at Americans in order to ingratiate yourself to the tsf masses.

How's that for defense, huh?

Comment

Bollox. It was a gratuitous dig at Americans in order to ingratiate yourself to the tsf masses.

How's that for defense, huh?
          A touch of paranoia there too

Comment

Villa, as a proud American, I was not offended by the statement; I tend to agree.
            I think Mr. Big may have revealed himself...on my mobile phone at least, he spelled "defense" wrong....ya know, like me! For the record, I do take care to spell COLOUR properly when referring to Snooker.🤓

Comment

Originally Posted by acesinc View Post
              Villa, as a proud American, I was not offended by the statement; I tend to agree.
              I think Mr. Big may have revealed himself...on my mobile phone at least, he spelled "defense" wrong....ya know, like me! For the record, I do take care to spell COLOUR properly when referring to Snooker.��
              It was a statement I made simply from personal experience, Americans have a different style, I guess you could say the Brits are more reserved especially when sports commentating is concerned. Americans love statistics, especially with American football but other sports too, they'd have a graph for how a player has declined or progressed since first turning pro, compare that to a player in a similiar position, reasons behind any differences, stats for different scenarios, the list goes on. In the UK things have turned to that style more, for one thing it means the commentators are more engaging and have more things to say. Where's the insult in that

Comment

Originally Posted by acesinc View Post
                I think Mr. Big may have revealed himself...on my mobile phone at least, he spelled "defense" wrong....ya know, like me! For the record, I do take care to spell COLOUR properly when referring to Snooker.🤓
                It was a joke...

Comment

Bantz!

To get back to the original question for a minute, I don't think even Dr. Dave thinks applying spin along the centre line of the cueball affects the potting angle. I also think most people will agree that what he has on his videos (CIT etc..) is correct, just that it doesn't really matter. Stand behind where you think the shot line is, get down and cue it smoothly and confidently, it should go in. Balls going in pockets is all anyone should really care about

Comment

It was a statement I made simply from personal experience, Americans have a different style, I guess you could say the Brits are more reserved especially when sports commentating is concerned. Americans love statistics, especially with American football but other sports too, they'd have a graph for how a player has declined or progressed since first turning pro, compare that to a player in a similiar position, reasons behind any differences, stats for different scenarios, the list goes on. In the UK things have turned to that style more, for one thing it means the commentators are more engaging and have more things to say. Where's the insult in that
                    But what did stats have to do with the topic being discussed?

Comment

But what did stats have to do with the topic being discussed?
                      If you look at the first quote I made on the thread and who it addressed you'll see why the subject surfaced, also I think someone earlier had said that the pool player in the link had over emphasised his language needlessly (words to that effect)

This is from the post that prompted my comment, 'All that said, I agree that as a general rule, pool players are funny....they try to explain simple concepts with complex mathematical and scientific formulas'
                      Last edited by VillaGuy; 9 December 2016, 04:38 PM.

Comment

The longer you play the game the more these subtleties go unnoticed, the brain likes to compensate so as to not drive us insane, anyone remember the fellow that wore upside down glasses for a few weeks?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                          Bantz!

To get back to the original question for a minute, I don't think even Dr. Dave thinks applying spin along the centre line of the cueball affects the potting angle. I also think most people will agree that what he has on his videos (CIT etc..) is correct, just that it doesn't really matter. Stand behind where you think the shot line is, get down and cue it smoothly and confidently, it should go in. Balls going in pockets is all anyone should really care about
                          For the OP, Jonny makes the most sense!

Comment

I more than held my own with Jim Rempe too.
                            I won more than I lost against him at pool (not American pool) He battered me at snooker and if we had played American pool at any stage I assume my hiding would have been severe.

So, you've lost the argument and are now running away.
                            I don't see how recalling memories in my life could construed as an argument. For what it's worth, a 32 year old me would absolutely annihilate a 14 year old me who was a 50/60 break player back then.

Sorry... a ridiculously good looking 50/60 break player

Comment

I don't think even Dr. Dave thinks applying spin along the centre line of the cueball affects the potting angle
                              That's because it doesn't

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                                That's because it doesn't

As it's panto season, oh yes it does!

Comment

Working...
                                X