No announcement yet.

relationship between line of aim and dominant eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am still convinced most missed pots are caused by poor cue delivery and not bad aiming/sighting. The only time aiming/sighting is at fault is if a player shift his aim while he is down in the address position.

I believe everyone can determine where the cueball has to contact the object ball in order to pot that object ball (a spot directly opposite the widest part of the pocket) however the difficult part is delivering the cueball to that correct spot by straight cueing.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      if anyone is struggling maybe try this advice. Firstly good days and bad days - we all have them - therefore don't make the mistake of automatically discounting or adding anything to your game until you are completely sure what works and what don't..Set yourself realistic targets for improvement and put some effort in to achieve these.

Below is a method for sighting the angle - and some reasoning.

Stand up behind and away from the shot...Now look at the object ball to the pocket - imagine tram lines running through that ball to the pocket - you simply just need to send it down that line - (the angle you need to hit on the object ball should come from your view from behind the white - you will see perhaps that to make the (potting angle of contact) you may need to hit half ball quarter ball or three quarter ball or something like this roughly then you make this guesstimate when standing up behind the shot and just get down and play the line of the white don't look at the pocket stay true to the line of the shot you picked out when up.

If you have missed its either you picked out the wrong potting angle or your technique did not allow you to send the white to the angle you picked.

So let me repeat and expand a little...

First - stand behind the shot = Imagine the shot going in and what type of shot you need for position.

Second - Look at the object ball then the pocket its going in the path you need to send it down (imagine a line of tram lines a path through from OB to pocket) then look back to the object ball

The next bit is where lots of people struggle ...Sighting the shot & Visualising the correct potting angle - where the white will hit

So now you are stood behind the shot (white) you have traced the line through the object ball to the pocket so now what do you do?

At this point your brain should work out the potting angle or maybe the contact point jumps out at you on showing a spot on OB if that is your thing I suggest this picking out of the correct potting angle only comes best with repeated hours on the table. Now some people try and find short cuts to this - searching perhaps for a secret/a reason why they cant pot everything. All ball sports involve geometry/collision theory after all - Americans in particular are obsessed with systems like this at pool CTE - 90 90 - etc (smaller table bigger pockets and so systems like this are more relevant) and maybe potting mathematics such as the 90 degree rule and things like this are useful aid to some people's understanding.

However in snooker I think though there are little tricks and bits you pick up here there and everywhere there is no is nothing better than having proper focused practice were you develop your own technique and consistent pre-shot routines - Don't just pot balls and look to pot more balls or play games and hope you will improve put some hours in/routines and stuff set targets and keep improving that technique by finding out what little bits suit your own game.

So now I'm going off topic sorry

So back to the bit where everyone falls down when learning unless you are really natural ...- how to pick out the potting angle. Like technique there are different ways - different ways of visualising the potting angle and picking this out. - If you do something and it works for you stick with it - I am not saying here one method is better than another. You might use two ways of doing it.

- how to shade the white onto the object ball (if this method is your thing) (Pick out the contact point on the back of object ball if this is your thing) (Ghost ball if this is your thing) or (parallel aiming - visualising lines or whatever this method is) or (Natural way -This is the most common for players eg = you the player have potted this angle of ball a million times before so you just know automatically)

A player is always estimating/ guessing - For a experienced player is more often than not confident in this because he has potted it a million times before - and his consistent pre shot routine technique and focus is such it breeds more confidence. You know its in when you are on the shot.

If I was to simply a way to try and seek improvement - I would play faster...Don't hesitate don't think/over think - Just stand behind the shot - look OB ball pocket OB ball imagine the line ruining from OB to the pocket -you simply have to send OB down that line...- So next pick out the correct line of the white hopefully in a way to make the ob go down that line - get down and stay true to the line you picked out of the white keep still (eyes quiet) on shot and play that line - trust yourself.

Stick to doing this for a few months and work on technical aspects only like delivering the cue straight feathering the same way you like to become consistent, maybe working on other areas grip, stance compacting your action etc.
      Work out what bits of technique work for you by setting targets and seeing and noting improvements in practice long potting and on the line up etc.

The end.
      Nice post mate and thanks for taking the time to write so much info.

Just one piece to confirm I am getting it fully!!

Once down on the shot on the the correct line, you don't take your eyes off the white at all to look at the pocket?

I may have missed this in my understanding of what you are saying......
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I am still convinced most missed pots are caused by poor cue delivery and not bad aiming/sighting. The only time aiming/sighting is at fault is if a player shift his aim while he is down in the address position.

I believe everyone can determine where the cueball has to contact the object ball in order to pot that object ball (a spot directly opposite the widest part of the pocket) however the difficult part is delivering the cueball to that correct spot by straight cueing.
        Having hit straight shots involving pace, distance, stun and screw a week ago it was clear to me that I certainly don't deliver the cue tip back to the centre of the cue ball consistently.

So much to work on eh? What a game!

Comment

if anyone is struggling maybe try this advice. Firstly good days and bad days - we all have them - therefore don't make the mistake of automatically discounting or adding anything to your game until you are completely sure what works and what don't..Set yourself realistic targets for improvement and put some effort in to achieve these.

Below is a method for sighting the angle - and some reasoning.

Stand up behind and away from the shot...Now look at the object ball to the pocket - imagine tram lines running through that ball to the pocket - you simply just need to send it down that line - (the angle you need to hit on the object ball should come from your view from behind the white - you will see perhaps that to make the (potting angle of contact) you may need to hit half ball quarter ball or three quarter ball or something like this roughly then you make this guesstimate when standing up behind the shot and just get down and play the line of the white don't look at the pocket stay true to the line of the shot you picked out when up.

If you have missed its either you picked out the wrong potting angle or your technique did not allow you to send the white to the angle you picked.

So let me repeat and expand a little...

First - stand behind the shot = Imagine the shot going in and what type of shot you need for position.

Second - Look at the object ball then the pocket its going in the path you need to send it down (imagine a line of tram lines a path through from OB to pocket) then look back to the object ball

The next bit is where lots of people struggle ...Sighting the shot & Visualising the correct potting angle - where the white will hit

So now you are stood behind the shot (white) you have traced the line through the object ball to the pocket so now what do you do?

At this point your brain should work out the potting angle or maybe the contact point jumps out at you on showing a spot on OB if that is your thing I suggest this picking out of the correct potting angle only comes best with repeated hours on the table. Now some people try and find short cuts to this - searching perhaps for a secret/a reason why they cant pot everything. All ball sports involve geometry/collision theory after all - Americans in particular are obsessed with systems like this at pool CTE - 90 90 - etc (smaller table bigger pockets and so systems like this are more relevant) and maybe potting mathematics such as the 90 degree rule and things like this are useful aid to some people's understanding.

However in snooker I think though there are little tricks and bits you pick up here there and everywhere there is no is nothing better than having proper focused practice were you develop your own technique and consistent pre-shot routines - Don't just pot balls and look to pot more balls or play games and hope you will improve put some hours in/routines and stuff set targets and keep improving that technique by finding out what little bits suit your own game.

So now I'm going off topic sorry

So back to the bit where everyone falls down when learning unless you are really natural ...- how to pick out the potting angle. Like technique there are different ways - different ways of visualising the potting angle and picking this out. - If you do something and it works for you stick with it - I am not saying here one method is better than another. You might use two ways of doing it.

- how to shade the white onto the object ball (if this method is your thing) (Pick out the contact point on the back of object ball if this is your thing) (Ghost ball if this is your thing) or (parallel aiming - visualising lines or whatever this method is) or (Natural way -This is the most common for players eg = you the player have potted this angle of ball a million times before so you just know automatically)

A player is always estimating/ guessing - For a experienced player is more often than not confident in this because he has potted it a million times before - and his consistent pre shot routine technique and focus is such it breeds more confidence. You know its in when you are on the shot.

If I was to simply a way to try and seek improvement - I would play faster...Don't hesitate don't think/over think - Just stand behind the shot - look OB ball pocket OB ball imagine the line ruining from OB to the pocket -you simply have to send OB down that line...- So next pick out the correct line of the white hopefully in a way to make the ob go down that line - get down and stay true to the line you picked out of the white keep still (eyes quiet) on shot and play that line - trust yourself.

Stick to doing this for a few months and work on technical aspects only like delivering the cue straight feathering the same way you like to become consistent, maybe working on other areas grip, stance compacting your action etc.
          Work out what bits of technique work for you by setting targets and seeing and noting improvements in practice long potting and on the line up etc.

The end.
          Thanks Byrom, good post.:encouragement: I think we aim in a similar way. When I'm confident I don't really see a big green thing with balls on it, it's more like coloured lines going into pockets and a white line going into the coloured lines, like you have an aiming aid in snooker games. It just switches itself off when I need it most Picturing exactly where I want to hit the white as I stand behind the shot seems to help as well

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            Having hit straight shots involving pace, distance, stun and screw a week ago it was clear to me that I certainly don't deliver the cue tip back to the centre of the cue ball consistently.

So much to work on eh? What a game!
            Except for very good players and pros most players don't deliver the cue straight. I had thought I was doing so as I was making good pots but I found when I was dead-in on the black and had to screw back to the side cushion (without side) I was putting unintentional left-hand side on the cueball and unfortunately for me I've been doing that for so long that I have compensated for it. Finding a way around that has been very difficult and I still haven't sorted it out.

It means I deliver the cue right-to-left and I've discovered a lot of players do this. It's especially upsetting as when I shoot the spots I can get 4 lengths of the table and come withing one ball's width to the brown spot however when I try long blues when I miss it's usually to the left of the pocket. Oddly enough when I use the looped bridge it's a lot better which points to a weakness in my bridge hand but that doesn't solve the problem.

I have to video myself and try and discover the root cause of this problem and it will be a lot of work. I mention this because a lot of players believe if they can shoot the spots successfully then they must be delivering the cue straight but that is not necessarily so. Try a straight black power screw off the spot and onto the side cushion and watch for any side. For right-handers it will most likely be left-hand unintentional side.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
              Nice post mate and thanks for taking the time to write so much info.

Just one piece to confirm I am getting it fully!!

Once down on the shot on the the correct line, you don't take your eyes off the white at all to look at the pocket?

I may have missed this in my understanding of what you are saying......
              As with technique there is not one size fits all at sighting - Hendry used to flick his eyes to the pocket but he stayed dead still on the line of aim when doing this -

I would say for best improvements try and pick out the angle when up and stay true to that line of shot after you asses the potting angle - do not focus on the pocket after this - once you picked out the correct line and angle you want to send the white are set - trust yourself you/some players can develop a bad habit of trying to steer the ball towards the pocket if they start looking at the pocket causing movement in bridge or back hand - cueing straight is essential so try block out the 'what if I miss thoughts and the am I doing this or that right.' Dont try and be perfect don't question your first assessment don't change your mind trying to be absolutely perfect when you should trust your instinct - stay positive - keep it simple

Find the line of aim get down quick don't hesitate once you have visualised the shot and imagined it in your head - find the line and required angle in your head - trust yourself - once down stick to your usual pre-shot routine if you have one and complete the shot. Believe in yourself. don't move around down on the shot searching for the hit. Keep your eyes and your body still and stay focused on the line you picked out for the white.

You should be simply aiming to send the object ball down a line -(see the end of Barry's video) Over time doing this experience will take over and guide you to picking out the correct line of aim for the white to travel to make the OB go down that line you need - because the angles repeat themselves -the more you see the same angles pop up the more easier it becomes - it does get easier when you stop trying to be perfect on every shot faffing around trying to find the line when down - and instead just pick out the line when up - start trying to trust yourself and your first thoughts and try playing a bit more instinctively.
              Last edited by Byrom; 22 July 2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                Thanks Byrom, good post.:encouragement: I think we aim in a similar way. When I'm confident I don't really see a big green thing with balls on it, it's more like coloured lines going into pockets and a white line going into the coloured lines, like you have an aiming aid in snooker games. It just switches itself off when I need it most Picturing exactly where I want to hit the white as I stand behind the shot seems to help as well
                This is what I do -

Comment

I have heard you say this before too - and I don't agree its 100 per cent correct for certain reasons -

This bit I highlighted is not true on every shot - depends how you hit the white sometimes as to the reaction of the OB play with top for example the white can push into OB making a slightly thicker contact - also on a quarter ball shot for example the white hits the spot you are on about but hits thick because the white is going in a different path to the line the object ball needs to go it can produce - cut induced throw - so these shots you aim thinner or use the thing you hate me mentioning lol helping side.

Secondly I think finding a small spot on the object ball to hit is hard to do all the time - at distance for example and for a thin angled cut when you can not physically see that spot you talk about - so what do you do Terry - do you change your method of sighting on these shots? Personally rather than focus on a spot on the OB I prefer to just visualise trying send the OB down a line or track and practice staying true to the line of the white that I picked out when assessing the shot and the angle I need.

Whilst I agree it is important/essential to develop good technique and this is why a lot of people miss as you say - I do know also know plenty of good straight cueists who simply struggle to pick out the potting angles correctly all the time with any consistency. I also know some bad cuiest who can pot for fun.

If sighting and picking out the correct angle is a problem then -?

Mmmmmm I can prove this now ask every player on here to go to the table pot just the white into the pockets - how many can do that regular - at a guess almost everyone - (Note if not take up golf). Now put another ball in the way and tell them to pot it... can they do that as well? - no they cant - reason is (apart from it being harder and more precise) is because they are not sure sometimes where to hit and what to look at and visualise - as well as technique.

The BOB method can work for some people certainly closer in - but it is not the only way to sight and visualise the potting angle.
                  Last edited by Byrom; 22 July 2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Except for very good players and pros most players don't deliver the cue straight. I had thought I was doing so as I was making good pots but I found when I was dead-in on the black and had to screw back to the side cushion (without side) I was putting unintentional left-hand side on the cueball and unfortunately for me I've been doing that for so long that I have compensated for it. Finding a way around that has been very difficult and I still haven't sorted it out.

It means I deliver the cue right-to-left and I've discovered a lot of players do this. It's especially upsetting as when I shoot the spots I can get 4 lengths of the table and come withing one ball's width to the brown spot however when I try long blues when I miss it's usually to the left of the pocket. Oddly enough when I use the looped bridge it's a lot better which points to a weakness in my bridge hand but that doesn't solve the problem.

I have to video myself and try and discover the root cause of this problem and it will be a lot of work. I mention this because a lot of players believe if they can shoot the spots successfully then they must be delivering the cue straight but that is not necessarily so. Try a straight black power screw off the spot and onto the side cushion and watch for any side. For right-handers it will most likely be left-hand unintentional side.
                    I guess we never stop learning Terry. I haven't noticed any side on those shots but I'll try digging a little deeper when I'm straight and see what happens.

Comment

I half agree, but I think me and the OP both have the problem that we can see the shot, but somewhere between standing up and getting down on the shot the cue is coming off the line and we're following it. Doesn't matter how straight you cue if the cue isn't pointing in the right direction.

Comment

UPDATE

for the last 2 days i have been playing with the cue under my right chin , now i can see a big improvement and im much online, however i can see that my action has totally changed, it feel so uncomfortable. and sometimes i feel that i cannot some shots where i could play with centre chin, but trust me, my line of aim has improved alot.
                        i used to have very good cue action with center chin, but now it feels totally different , now it feels that i have **** cue action, and i dont pull the cue straight etc
                        thats y i only try to pull the cue very slow, as much as i can

should i stick to using my dominant eye? and im still not satisfied with how much to the right of chin i put the cue, i tried to touch my chin but it looks to much and i start to miss alot, so i just moved to the right, like stephen hendry

Comment

As with technique there is not one size fits all at sighting - Hendry used to flick his eyes to the pocket but he stayed dead still on the line of aim when doing this -

I would say for best improvements try and pick out the angle when up and stay true to that line of shot after you asses the potting angle - do not focus on the pocket after this - once you picked out the correct line and angle you want to send the white are set - trust yourself you/some players can develop a bad habit of trying to steer the ball towards the pocket if they start looking at the pocket causing movement in bridge or back hand - cueing straight is essential so try block out the 'what if I miss thoughts and the am I doing this or that right.' Dont try and be perfect don't question your first assessment don't change your mind trying to be absolutely perfect when you should trust your instinct - stay positive - keep it simple

Find the line of aim get down quick don't hesitate once you have visualised the shot and imagined it in your head - find the line and required angle in your head - trust yourself - once down stick to your usual pre-shot routine if you have one and complete the shot. Believe in yourself. don't move around down on the shot searching for the hit. Keep your eyes and your body still and stay focused on the line you picked out for the white.

You should be simply aiming to send the object ball down a line -(see the end of Barry's video) Over time doing this experience will take over and guide you to picking out the correct line of aim for the white to travel to make the OB go down that line you need - because the angles repeat themselves -the more you see the same angles pop up the more easier it becomes - it does get easier when you stop trying to be perfect on every shot faffing around trying to find the line when down - and instead just pick out the line when up - start trying to trust yourself and your first thoughts and try playing a bit more instinctively.
                          i look at the obj ball and get down
                          but the problem is not the aiming its the line of aim. when im down even without starting my first feature i can see that i am offline most of the time. so even if i get up 10000 times i stil am offline as soon as my bridge hand touches the table and i also dont wanna move when im in address position. i used to put side to compensate and become online by using side.

so in address position if i move my bridge hand or do abit of adjustment then i can go back online and i can pot. but this doesnt look professional or doesnt feel right to make adjustment on most shots while down on the shot

AIMING: i tried to stare at the object ball for 1 year but i couldnt improve and i miss alot more balls. so i went back to my natural aiming. and the way i achieved it back is by training my eyes like this : cueball, object ball, pocket............. cue ball, object ball , pocket ( this is how i used to count/aim in my head while featuring ) and this is how i aim now, but i also noticed that when i am about to his the cueball my eyes are on object ball and it follow the pocket etc. i cannot force myself to stare at object ball at all.

Comment

I half agree, but I think me and the OP both have the problem that we can see the shot, but somewhere between standing up and getting down on the shot the cue is coming off the line and we're following it. Doesn't matter how straight you cue if the cue isn't pointing in the right direction.
                            to make it more clear for them , here is an example you (whoever is reading ) should try

go and place the white at green spot and blue on its own spot , try to line up this long blue . now dont even start featuring. your cue should be aiming to the pocket and you are pefect lineup. now close your left eye, and see how the line looks, now close your right eye and see how it looks, whichever you close and then if u realize you are no longer online. THATS WHAT WE ARE GETTING THROUGH , so it has nothing to do with cuing straight or delivery or bodymovent.

because we are already offline even before starting the first feature . so this is line of aim , not cuing problem. when we miss a pot after we are lined up properly thats then the problem of cuing, body/head movement and delivery or timing etc

i hope you understand what i meant

Comment

I guess I'm where you were ages ago then. My cue action is straight, and I know I can just relax and let that happen, but when I'm not too confident of the angle I just can't seem to get onto the shot properly, same as the OP I suppose.

If I think it's thin then it's thin, if I think it's thick then it's thick, which I suppose is good. There was about an hour when I just pointed my cue before I got down, flopped on to it and smashed everything in, almost everything I can't seem to replicate it though. I think just being relaxed about it was the thing what done it, but how do you relax onto a shot you aren't confident about? Aim it and shut your eyes?
                              hy jonny, try to use your dominant eye, thats wat i m doing at the moment and i can see that i am no longer offline except feeling so uncomfortable and my cue action has gone totally rubbish , because the chest and chin position has changed

i was never big fan of dominant eye, and i read terry's posts and im sure he isnt big fan of it too. but this time i had to do something, becaz this is the only point that was or is stopping me from improvement. becaz if i am online in address position then i swear no matter long or short shot i can pot every single ball

try and but please give me / us an update , becaz i wanna know if it has helped you , so that i get more confident myself

Comment

I have heard you say this before too - and I don't agree its 100 per cent correct for certain reasons -

This bit I highlighted is not true on every shot - depends how you hit the white sometimes as to the reaction of the OB play with top for example the white can push into OB making a slightly thicker contact - also on a quarter ball shot for example the white hits the spot you are on about but hits thick because the white is going in a different path to the line the object ball needs to go it can produce - cut induced throw - so these shots you aim thinner or use the thing you hate me mentioning lol helping side.

Secondly I think finding a small spot on the object ball to hit is hard to do all the time - at distance for example and for a thin angled cut when you can not physically see that spot you talk about - so what do you do Terry - do you change your method of sighting on these shots? Personally rather than focus on a spot on the OB I prefer to just visualise trying send the OB down a line or track and practice staying true to the line of the white that I picked out when assessing the shot and the angle I need.

Whilst I agree it is important/essential to develop good technique and this is why a lot of people miss as you say - I do know also know plenty of good straight cueists who simply struggle to pick out the potting angles correctly all the time with any consistency. I also know some bad cuiest who can pot for fun.

If sighting and picking out the correct angle is a problem then -?

Mmmmmm I can prove this now ask every player on here to go to the table pot just the white into the pockets - how many can do that regular - at a guess almost everyone - (Note if not take up golf). Now put another ball in the way and tell them to pot it... can they do that as well? - no they cant - reason is (apart from it being harder and more precise) is because they are not sure sometimes where to hit and what to look at and visualise - as well as technique.

The BOB method can work for some people certainly closer in - but it is not the only way to sight and visualise the potting angle.
                                if i hit the cueball then i miss then ofcourse i wont blame my line of aim. but as soon as i m in address position, i can see myself offline. so the cue doesnt even come to play . if i stand up 10000 times but as soon as i get down i can see myself offline. but ............ while in address position i make adjustment then i can become online. then i wont never ever miss that pot. but i dont like moving on every single shot . i used to make big break by using side to make myself online, compensating with side to make it online. but i wanna improve so i dont wanan use side to become online while in address position or do any other adjustment, as i have seen pros or good players, as soon as they get down they dont move at all

Comment

Working...
                                X