Ssb - jungle jimmy gets wembley wildcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    And your solution is what? Stage more tournaments? Increase the tour size? How is that going to help matters? If that's the way you want to do it then the only country that can accommodate that type of structure is China who will go and support their players whatever their ranking or style of play, but the last time this subject came up you said moving the WC to China would "kill the game"...
    my solution is maximum exposure for young players while Ronnie still around that way we look for a time when Ronnie is no more. by giving spots to old has beens how is the general public going to get to know younger players.

people has to get to know todays players ASAP..

in the 80s it was simple with 4 channels in this country. today Barry Hearn and snooker has to work twice as hard getting the public to know these players so they feel for them like they feel for Jimmy.

Todays players are better than 98% of what was there in the 80s it was amateurish with players not practicing that hard then Steve Davis changed that.

look at the loved players from the 80s.

Steve Davis
    Cliff Thorburn
    Terry Griffiths
    Eddie Charlton

they were slow grinders but the exposure made them stars not the speed of their play. so all these quick fix 6 red shot clock rubbish is not the answer to snookers problem its exposing players and if players don't get opportunities because of sentimentality then the sport is in the ****.

Comment

• This is going to be Jimmy's year.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
        This is going to be Jimmy's year.
        isnt it always
        Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• It's like a Rocky film. Old pro has to take on a young pretender. Everyone doubts him. He has to get fit so he goes into the jungle for a gruelling workout lugging tanks of water up a hill. He wins a few minor events to set the scene, and then defies the odds to sink his opponents on the road to his last major. He goes 6-9 down in the final but one last defiant surge sees him take it to a decider and win a nerve jangling, epic last frame to win the title.

Comment

• Hey, I wish it weren't so! I would rather see packed halls watching young up-and coming players knocking our socks off with dazzling snooker but the fact is people aren't interested in the new players we have. Even when snooker was massive most people watched to see their favourite 'Character' playing and the actual game was secondary. Now we have a TV schedule full of IQ<100 reality shows for people to cater for those needs. Yeah, you can call the players old farts, past, it, no hopers, whatever you like but Alex Higgins would get a bigger crowd, even in his state, than most of the top 16.
            Until Barry Hearn does for snooker what he did for darts ie a massive brainwashing operation by Sky and the Sun:-) the game is on it's last legs.

Mat Wilson
            Whoever said "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing" was an arsehole.

Comment

• fateric

Willie Thorne's missed blue in the UK is embarassing for top level sport, yet he was still classed by everybody as a wonderful character. Yes of course he was, but if a simliar embarassing thing was done in tennis, everybody would be wanting you hung, drawn and quartered for looking rather foolish. Peter Allsis once called somebody an idiot for fluffing up a ridiculously easy chip.

For snooker to fall back to the 1980's standard so that people could enjoy watching a load of old characters but of not much good standard at all would be a huge backward step. The thing is with tennis and golf the spectators who have paid to watch have got standards that they expect players to produce, sadly in snooker this is not the case.

Thne attitude of snooker watching public has to change. Too many are stuck in this 1970's and 1980's timewarp.

To all of us with the right mind, yes it was highly enjoyable at the time, still fondly memorable but totally out of place for modern sport now.
              Last edited by david16; 20 December 2009, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by david16 View Post
                fateric

Willie Thorne's missed blue in the UK is embarassing for top level sport, yet he was still classed by everybody as a wonderful character. Yes of course he was, but if a simliar embarassing thing was done in tennis, everybody would be wanting you hung, drawn and quartered for looking rather foolish. Peter Allsis once called somebody an idiot for fluffing up a ridiculously easy chip.

For snooker to fall back to the 1980's standard so that people could enjoy watching a load of old characters but of not much good standard at all would be a huge backward step. The thing is with tennis and golf the spectators who have paid to watch have got standards that they expect players to produce, sadly in snooker this is not the case.

Thne attitude of the snooker watching public has to change. Too many are stuck in this 1970's and 1980's timewarp.

To all of us with the right mind, yes it was highly enjoyable at the time, still fondly memorable but totally out of place for modern sport now.
                thing is david Jimmy White wasent even a charicter in the 80s.

jimmy and steve Davis was the prototype to todays snooker Jamie Cope and John Higgins is every inch the character Jimmy and Steve was.

Comment

• My god , there are people out there who compare Steve Davis and Jimmy White with Jamie Cope.......
                  Ive heard it all now!

Comment

• Originally Posted by bonoman1970 View Post
                    My god , there are people out there who compare Steve Davis and Jimmy White with Jamie Cope.......
                    Ive heard it all now!
                    well what you expect from wildJONESEYE he aint a jimmy fan

Comment

My god , there are people out there who compare Steve Davis and Jimmy White with Jamie Cope.......
                      Ive heard it all now!
                      Dont be so sure, i think theres more to come. This guys will post more and more "brilliant" ideas to convince us that Jimmys wildcard is a mistake......just wait and you'll see.....
                      "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

• Originally Posted by attilahun View Post
                        Dont be so sure, i think theres more to come. This guys will post more and more "brilliant" ideas to convince us that Jimmys wildcard is a mistake......just wait and you'll see.....
                        and your such a neutral in this discussion
                        Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ive heard it all now!
                          jimmy white was a shy young man that hardly smiled and Steve Davis was so boring it took a bloody puppet show to find him a personality. thats the facts you look at things through rose colored specs and truly forgot how things actually was with these two players.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mstone View Post
                            well what you expect from wildJONESEYE he aint a jimmy fan
                            and by the way i am a jimmy fan but im a snooker fan and can see the damage living in the past with "how things were in the 80s" crap is doing more harm than good.

Comment

• Well Steve Davis apart from winning more titles in his career than anyone else ,in the eighties used to have his own TV shows and radio shows, could you see any of the top 16 doing that now !
                              Besides Steve and Jimmy were superb top class sportsmen who appealed to the public,like it or not ,I cannot seriously compare them with the really boring top 16 of today.

Comment

Well Steve Davis apart from winning more titles in his career than anyone else ,in the eighties used to have his own TV shows and radio shows, could you see any of the top 16 doing that now !
                                Besides Steve and Jimmy were superb top class sportsmen who appealed to the public,like it or not ,I cannot seriously compare them with the really boring top 16 of today.
                                well i know they the same no different what so ever the only difference is they give tv shows to reality tv stars today instead of sportstars including snooker players.

and if the public could see more of young players instead of showing old hasbeens then they to could appeal to the public.

Comment

Working...
                                X