No announcement yet.

The next British Heavyweight World Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I agree with you - as you seem to do with me. just think there is more of a little risk involved in this one than in some of the other higher ranked opponents out there so why take it?

The longer this rivalry went on the more interest builds up the more tickets they sell - Personally I would have skipped this fight - not because AJ would not win but because it makes more business sense down the line.
    Maybe though Hearn thinks its time to step up AJ try getting him some headline contests and test him more and maybe get him ready for the bigger fights - Europe belt - David Haye - Fury - bronze bomber - Klitch

Exciting times ahead for heavyweight division - needed it lets be honest - been a bit dull since the likes of Lewis and Tyson hung up their gloves.

Comment

• Wilder won't be near the top for much longer... Ridiculously limited heavyweight.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        Wilder won't be near the top for much longer... Ridiculously limited heavyweight.
        He's come on a tonne as a boxer but he has a glass jaw,he's certainly better than 90% of other fighters so you'd have to say they're even more limited
        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Backs out of range with his chin in the air... Throws wild haymakers with his chin up...

Fought nobody apart from a dehydrated Stiverne and an out of sorts Malik Scott...

He has come on very little, has just been matched well.

Povetkin is his mandatory... Who is a class apart from him. As soon as Wilder faces a genuine top 5 opponent, the hype train stops.

Comment

• Anyway should never discount a big angry Scottish bloke - hopefully Gary Cornish will give Joshua a good fight and can give him a bit more of a test than he has had so far. Who knows with these big guys - One Glasgow kiss and goodnight Vienna

Comment

• Highlander will be gone within 3.

He's a step down from Johnson and Gavern.

Comment

Highlander will be gone within 3.

He's a step down from Johnson and Gavern.
                Yeah probably come a few years to early for him - but they are brave them lads up there - they have spirit.

Comment

• I think it's a little early to say Joshua is improving - he has a nasty habit of throwing foul shots in the heat of the moment and he's still not fought anyone who can hit him back. Some are already talking about him as a world title contender, which is so stupid it hurts my head.

Comment

• Agreed... Ladbrookes offering 1/10 that he will become a WC

That's 1/10 on a fighter who hasn't been hit... Hasn't fought a top 30 HW... Hasn't gone beyond 3 rounds...

I'm not saying I don't want AJ to do well, coz obviously I do... But there's more to HW boxing that what Sky TV tells you. The signs are good for AJ but what do we really know?

He has fast hands, carries above average power and has a decent jab...

I could be critical and say he's a bit stiff... but perhaps he hasn't had to show any serious movement yet, given that all his opponents are being dispatched with the long 1-2.

I'd like to see him go rounds to get these stamina concerns I have out of my mind before I nail my colours to the Joshua mast...

I would say he is the best heavyweight prospect out there... But... those questions mean I can't give a fully informed opinion on AJ...

Another thing on AJ for the people who say he needs to be stepped up... If you take his combined opponents record after 13 fights... He has literally fought the toughest competition of any top heavyweight in history... These things takes time... probably why I'm annoyed at the insistence with the casuals that he's ready for a Fury, Klitschko, Pulev, Jennings, Povetkin... I would take him over Wilder right now!

Fem will bowl over Cornish and I don't thing Dillian will get inside... I'd like to see AJ matched against a tall guy with power... Perhaps a Marius Wach or an Alexander Ustinov.

If you're asking for a heavyweight out there who genuinely is ready to be stepped up?

Joseph Parker... Been rounds, been hit... Just needs to fight a decent heavyweight. Ridiculous hand speed and a genuine top level puncher.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      Maybe though Hearn thinks its time to step up AJ try getting him some headline contests and test him more and maybe get him ready for the bigger fights - Europe belt - David Haye - Fury - bronze bomber - Klitch.
                      1) Please stop talking about David Haye - he is no longer an active fighter and even when he was, he was barely active. A wonderful cruiserweight career, a pathetic excuse for a heavyweight career.
                      2) Joshua needs to get himself a Lonsdale belt for keeps before he starts heading for European/world level, and by time he gets there, Wilder will have been exposed as the hype job he is. Get Cornish out the way, beat Whyte for the Lonsdale, a couple of defences against Chisora/Price/McDermott and then on to the fringe Europeans like Ustinov, Wach, Duahapas etc.

Comment

Backs out of range with his chin in the air... Throws wild haymakers with his chin up...

Fought nobody apart from a dehydrated Stiverne and an out of sorts Malik Scott...

He has come on very little, has just been matched well.

Povetkin is his mandatory... Who is a class apart from him. As soon as Wilder faces a genuine top 5 opponent, the hype train stops.
                        Top five?
                        There isn't five good heavyweights, in any other era he'd be no good but in this era he's one of the best

Wibble

Comment

• What makes you think that Wilder is a top HW of this era? He's so technically deficient it's unreal...

In 34 fights the only two names of note on his record are Stiverne (who went to the hospital afterward with dehydration) and Malik Scott.

When he faces a genuine top 5 ranked heavyweight, he'll lose.

Klitschko, Pulev, Fury, Jennings, Povetkin would all school him. I would confidently take a live prospect like AJ or Parker over him too...

I reckon Chisora would be too much for Wilder. Styles make fights and Del Boy would catch him.

Comment

• Also, this era for heavyweights hasn't been that bad... It's just that the Ukrainian pair at the top for so long have been ridiculously talented.

It's not been competitive, because just like Lennox in the late 90's and early 00's they have been a level above...

Comment

• Parker has been looking better and better but the people he has fought couldn't even be called puddings because they're not that good

Wibble

Comment

• Yes, but Joseph Parker is a HW prospect and he's already technically more assured than Deontay Wilder...

Parker's next fight is rumoured to be against Kali Meehan which will be entertaining at least cause they're both Oceanic boxing royalty... I don't think a peak Kali Meehan would lay a glove on JP though... Let alone a 40 plus Meehan...

I'm not saying I'm convinced on Parker... just that he's a prosepect, and Deontay Wilder is a heavyweight champion who makes mistakes I wouldn't expect to make in a pub fight!.

Put it this way... I'm no professional fighter and I would gather you aren't either... If I were David Haye, when he fought Wlad... It's possible that I wouldn't have been able to come up with anything different... that Wlad would have still been that good even with hindsight to take away my speed and punch output..

Now imagine you're Deontay Wilder... His greatest attribute is his height, reach, range... Yet his ridiculous stance takes that advantage away from him... It literally and mechanically prevents him from having fast footwork which is essential in boxing at the highest level...
                                Is that something that you would do yourself?

When he tags an opponent, he doesn't look for the opening... He bundles in and throws outrageous looping haymakers with his chin in the air, amateurish and floundering...
                                Wouldn't you think that if it were you, yourself, you would be clinical and look for the opening... protecting yourself at all times?

Of course you would...

I'm not saying he hasn't improved... Deontay Wilder today annihilates the Wilder of 5 fights ago... But I'm still a huge sceptic.

Deontay Wilder is a champion because of excellent management and woeful.... woeful level of opposition.

Comment

Working...
                                X