No announcement yet.

The next British Heavyweight World Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda highlights my point... The casual argument prior to May-Pac was that 'Pacquiao had knocked out fighters like DLH and Cotto' which is true... but you have to know the fine print.

Calzaghe will always go down as a greater fighter than Froch but I think if you know the details as we do then it's obvious that Froch's resume holds up much better... But that's not how these things are viewed... Names on a list, all that people seem to remember.

For what it's worth, I'd have taken Calzaghe over Froch... Too much speed. But if Calzaghe would have fought Roy Jones five years earlier, he would have been stopped early.

Comment

• Yeah, I think the only person who thought Froch would beat Calzaghe is Froch himself, though if Calzaghe smashed his hand like he did vs Ashira, I doubt Froch would have let him off the hook. I suspect Calzaghe would have given Jones a run for his money, but it's so hard to see anyone beating Roy at his peak - I've rarely seen anyone quite like him.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        I don't like Floyd Mayweather's character...

But he is undeniably the best fighter of our generation... Transcends the sport in a way that even Tyson didn't.

Castillo, Corrales, Hernandez, De la Hoya, Judah, Moseley, a peak Hatton, Marquez

An undefeated Canelo. Miguel Cotto, both of whom went on to win world titles after Floyd beat them.

Who hasn't he fought? I guess you could only say Paul Williams or Margarito?

He beat the pound for pound number 2 last time out and dominated... When was the last time a champion fought a p4p number 2?

20 odd World title defences... Zero losses, who comes close?

Floyd's character has nothing to do with his ability in the ring.
        TBE? Maybe not, but he is definitely in the conversation for sure...

Pacquiao is an all time great... But not the tsunami you mention for sure... Excellently managed and never solidified himself in any division. Catch weight king.

If you think Manny stacks up versus FMjr in terms of skill or legacy... Then I would withdraw entirely coz clearly YDKSAB xx
        Was that all aimed at me? If so you wasted your time typing it
        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Why should Mayweather fight him? Floyd's will be 39 in May is he wants a 50th fight and GGG will still not have fought anyone near the top of any division...

I would still take Floyd in that fight at 154 but again it wouldn't happen...

Everyone hates on Floyd. He beat the guy (comprehensively) who was supposed to be the antidote... Folks need to take their medicine and congratulate the master craftsman... Boxing is the sweet science, hit and not be hit...

No one in history has done is like Floyd.

Put it this way... Floyd's next fight is against Andre Berto... and people are calling it a joke... Personally, I don't mind it coz it frees up all the other top welterweights to potentially match up against each other.

But even with all the hate against Berto... GGG hasn't fought a fighter anywhere near the calibre of an Andre Berto... But it's fine for him to take a Willie Monroe jr or a Martin Murray as a defence... Why isn't GGG a joke?

It's these consistent double standards against Floyd that irritate me... Perpetuated by the media... keyboard warriors. Even if he beat GGG, they'd say he should take on Klitschko

Ah well... rant over.

Manny was not supposed to be the antidote,it was always going to be an easy points win for Floyd at this stage of their careers as Manny has had more wars and is five years past his best, if they'd fought when they should have then it's a much tougher fight for Floyd and he has to run quicker,grab quicker and generally spoil more as he doesn't like getting hit.
          As a super featherweight Floyd is possibly the greatest boxer ever but he became to negative once he stepped up which put me off him as i like exciting fighters, he drew at best against Oscar, lost the first fight against Castillo, nearly got knocked out u a shot Mosley and ran from Manny for years and these are the reasons why he'll never be considered the best ever

Wibble

Comment

Pacman fought DLH at 147 too... holes everywhere which is why I just look at records for what they are...

I've never met Amir Khan, but he does come across as a muppet... Self righteous... You're exactly right... Floyd toyed with him. I don't think Floyd likes Amir Khan... he will never get the fight.

Thurman still has a lot to prove too... Not yet got that stand out name on his record.
            amir khan is a complete ******, thinks he owns bolton and is above everything including the law when driving his overfinch about.

Comment

Kinda highlights my point... The casual argument prior to May-Pac was that 'Pacquiao had knocked out fighters like DLH and Cotto' which is true... but you have to know the fine print.

Calzaghe will always go down as a greater fighter than Froch but I think if you know the details as we do then it's obvious that Froch's resume holds up much better... But that's not how these things are viewed... Names on a list, all that people seem to remember.

For what it's worth, I'd have taken Calzaghe over Froch... Too much speed. But if Calzaghe would have fought Roy Jones five years earlier, he would have been stopped early.
              RJJ would have had his toughest fight at SM if he fought Calzaghe imo, i don't think anyone stops Joe early ever, Roy wins though because he was just to good but he took steroids so he should be written from the record books

Wibble

Comment

• I also might add even though I've been a boxing fan for ever i hate what it's become now, the money men have ****ing ruined the sport i love

Wibble

Comment

• Manny was not supposed to be the antidote,it was always going to be an easy points win for Floyd at this stage of their careers as Manny has had more wars and is five years past his best, if they'd fought when they should have then it's a much tougher fight for Floyd
                  It would have been easy work for Floyd whenever they fought.

As a super featherweight Floyd is possibly the greatest boxer ever but he became to negative once he stepped up which put me off him as i like exciting fighters, he drew at best against Oscar, lost the first fight against Castillo, nearly got knocked out u a shot Mosley and ran from Manny for years and these are the reasons why he'll never be considered the best ever
                  He beat Oscar, I have watched the fight back several times (including last night coz I'm a saddo). The first Castillo fight, I scored to Floyd but could have not argued against a draw. Mosely connected, but never won a round at all. If you think Floyd won't be the best because he ran from Manny and then beat him, then I feel you're letting your personal feelings on Floyd get in the way of analysing his boxing credentials...

I love an exciting fighter... But not everyone is an Aturo Gatti or a David Tua type, throwing hellacious shots from all over the place... But that is not all there is to boxing. Not to mention (again) that Floyd beat Gatti...

I'm not saying you can say he's the best ever... that's not the debate for me as it's hard to go across p4p 12vs15 rounds etc...

But I look at it this way... Everything evolves... Usain Bolt is quicker that Jesse Owens... Sportsmen are fitter and better at their craft than ever before and the same will be said of athletes 20 years from now...

For me, Floyd is the best fighter of this generation and that puts him in the conversation for best ever...

Anyone who disagrees with that... is simply wrong.

RJJ would have had his toughest fight at SM if he fought Calzaghe imo, i don't think anyone stops Joe early ever, Roy wins though because he was just to good but he took steroids so he should be written from the record books
                  I thought that when Roy took on Virgil Hill... We all remember that performance.

I also might add even though I've been a boxing fan for ever i hate what it's become now, the money men have ****ing ruined the sport i love
                  Then you show yourself to be naïve my friend... it's always been about the money...

Only difference is... Social Media and the Internet highlights everything... Shows the hypocrisy of being a 'prize fighter'... The prize is and will always be 'money'.

Comment

It would have been easy work for Floyd whenever they fought.

He beat Oscar, I have watched the fight back several times (including last night coz I'm a saddo). The first Castillo fight, I scored to Floyd but could have not argued against a draw. Mosely connected, but never won a round at all. If you think Floyd won't be the best because he ran from Manny and then beat him, then I feel you're letting your personal feelings on Floyd get in the way of analysing his boxing credentials...

I love an exciting fighter... But not everyone is an Aturo Gatti or a David Tua type, throwing hellacious shots from all over the place... But that is not all there is to boxing. Not to mention (again) that Floyd beat Gatti...

I'm not saying you can say he's the best ever... that's not the debate for me as it's hard to go across p4p 12vs15 rounds etc...

But I look at it this way... Everything evolves... Usain Bolt is quicker that Jesse Owens... Sportsmen are fitter and better at their craft than ever before and the same will be said of athletes 20 years from now...

For me, Floyd is the best fighter of this generation and that puts him in the conversation for best ever...

Anyone who disagrees with that... is simply wrong.

I thought that when Roy took on Virgil Hill... We all remember that performance.

Then you show yourself to be naïve my friend... it's always been about the money...

Only difference is... Social Media and the Internet highlights everything... Shows the hypocrisy of being a 'prize fighter'... The prize is and will always be 'money'.
                    I don't have a PC anymore hence why all my posts are really short because i find typing on the phone a real chew, all I'll say is everything I post is my own personal opinion and I'm not arguing because it's pointless because I'm right
                    I'm not that naive though because I've won a lot of money from boxing bets over the years from bookies who's odds compilers were also experts and new a lot more about boxing than me,so I'll continue with my lack of knowledge and naivety and carry on making lucky money

Wibble

Comment

• So... You do agree that Floyd is the greatest of our generation?

Comment

So... You do agree that Floyd is the greatest of our generation?
                        Roy Jones Jnr is the greatest boxer of my generation(pre juicing up for HW)
                        Then Floyd although i put them both in the top ten boxers ever

Wibble

Comment

• Did anybody on here ever get into any debates with a poster who called himself 'cutmemick' ? I went quite a few rounds with him he was mental

Wibble

Comment

• Only one I ever debated with was particle physics... I actually miss him

I'd say RJJ tarnished his legacy btw.

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                              Roy Jones Jnr is the greatest boxer of my generation(pre juicing up for HW)
                              Then Floyd although i put them both in the top ten boxers ever
                              You realise Jones got caught juicing long before he moved to heavyweight? And the commission helped him cover it up.

Comment

Only one I ever debated with was particle physics... I actually miss him

I'd say RJJ tarnished his legacy btw.
                                No this was on boxing forums mate not here, and yeah i agree he definitely did tarnish his legacy but in terms of power and ability he's the best i've seen,he was phenomenal and it sickens me he's still trying to fight

Wibble

Comment

Working...
                                X