The next British Heavyweight World Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    You realise Jones got caught juicing long before he moved to heavyweight? And the commission helped him cover it up.
    I'd heard that rumour yes,it wouldn't surprise me because he was just to good, you still haven't told me who you would consider a phenom Gav?
    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
      I'd heard that rumour yes,it wouldn't surprise me because he was just to good, you still haven't told me who you would consider a phenom Gav?
      Sorry, I missed that bit.

I don't really think there's anyone from the modern era so far - Morales has been so utterly wonderful throughout his career, pretty much never taking an easy fight when he could take a hard fight, and the only fighter I've ever known who really meant it when he said he fought for the fans - last round of the first PAcquiao fight, his corner says "Don't do anything stupid!"...so he switches to southpaw and goes to war with one of the biggest hitters below middleweight.

I think the closest I've seen in terms of the modern era has to be Jones - I mean a lot of his light-heavy opponents were weak, but he just looked astonishing in the way that Leonard and Robinson had. The Clinton Woods fight before he went up for Ruiz was an absolute exhibition.

But then Jones never had a credible explanation for his failed test, and tried to get the WBC to unrank Tarver so he didn't have to fight him. Those things tarnish him more than his current desperation to fight on.

The other one is Calderon - people queue up to fight Mayweather, but hardly anyone went looking for Calderon. He suffered, as all little guys do, from a weak division, but he was still winning 12-0 on all three cards well into his 30s.

I didn't become a serious boxing fan until the late '90s because I had no access to Sky's coverage, so before Jones I think I'd have Chavez, but he was already retired by the time I became a fan.

I think modern fighters have things far too much their own way - TV coverage, nutritionists, trainers, promoters, managers, strength coaches, lots of belts to go at, sanctioning bodies whose rankings can be bought etc. As a result, I think they don't have the same motivation anymore - no point fighting to your last breath to win the title - you'll get another turn in 6 months time.

But Robinson is the stick by which all others shall be judged - you basically couldn't build a better fighter.
      Last edited by gavpowell; 11 August 2015, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that bit.

I don't really think there's anyone from the modern era so far - Morales has been so utterly wonderful throughout his career, pretty much never taking an easy fight when he could take a hard fight, and the only fighter I've ever known who really meant it when he said he fought for the fans - last round of the first PAcquiao fight, his corner says "Don't do anything stupid!"...so he switches to southpaw and goes to war with one of the biggest hitters below middleweight.

I think the closest I've seen in terms of the modern era has to be Jones - I mean a lot of his light-heavy opponents were weak, but he just looked astonishing in the way that Leonard and Robinson had. The Clinton Woods fight before he went up for Ruiz was an absolute exhibition.

But then Jones never had a credible explanation for his failed test, and tried to get the WBC to unrank Tarver so he didn't have to fight him. Those things tarnish him more than his current desperation to fight on.

The other one is Calderon - people queue up to fight Mayweather, but hardly anyone went looking for Calderon. He suffered, as all little guys do, from a weak division, but he was still winning 12-0 on all three cards well into his 30s.

I didn't become a serious boxing fan until the late '90s because I had no access to Sky's coverage, so before Jones I think I'd have Chavez, but he was already retired by the time I became a fan.

I think modern fighters have things far too much their own way - TV coverage, nutritionists, trainers, promoters, managers, strength coaches, lots of belts to go at, sanctioning bodies whose rankings can be bought etc. As a result, I think they don't have the same motivation anymore - no point fighting to your last breath to win the title - you'll get another turn in 6 months time.

But Robinson is the stick by which all others shall be judged - you basically couldn't build a better fighter.
        Before my time but most boxing purists pick him as the greatest ever, I'm with you on Erik Morales though as he was and still is a legend, I find it hard to pick my favourite boxer ever but Erik is one of a few, I had a decent bet on Micky Ward at 11/4 v Shea Neary and i laid Ricky Hatton on Betfair for my biggest ever win because i new he was going to get smashed, I couldn't believe his price and how many people thought he was to big for Manny, I was the only one in the pub who cheered when he went down the second time through how much I'd won but also relief because i would have been broke if he'd won

Wibble

Comment

• Yeah, I won somewhere in the region of 300 quid on Hatton-Tszyu, from something like a £10 stake. I hardly ever bet after that - it wiped out the 150 I lost on "Tyson KO Lewis 8" and I was absolutely delighted. These days, I find the opening bell goes and I think "Oh, I should've had a bet on this."

Comment

• Can't seem to edit previous post. Grr.

With Hatton-Pacquiao, I said I was worried about whether Pacquiao's power transferred up with him, and that if it did, Hatton was in trouble. Not only did Manny's power transfer up, Hatton fought like an absolute moron, just marching straight into Pacquiao's fists.

Comment

• I've won some silly money on boxing before...

Lost some too though... Dropped 400 on Paulie to beat Broner and lost that...

Did win just under 3k on Wlad beating Povetkin via UD

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                I've won some silly money on boxing before...

How ever much was your stake considering klitschko was clear favourite

Comment

• £1650

All I could afford to lose

Comment

Yeah, I won somewhere in the region of 300 quid on Hatton-Tszyu, from something like a £10 stake. I hardly ever bet after that - it wiped out the 150 I lost on "Tyson KO Lewis 8" and I was absolutely delighted. These days, I find the opening bell goes and I think "Oh, I should've had a bet on this."
                    I only bet if the bookies get the price all wrong,unfortunately they're employing better odds compilers.
                    If Tyson was going to knock out Lewis it would have had to be in the first three rounds,after that it was always going to be Lewis bashing the bully up

Wibble

Comment

Can't seem to edit previous post. Grr.

With Hatton-Pacquiao, I said I was worried about whether Pacquiao's power transferred up with him, and that if it did, Hatton was in trouble. Not only did Manny's power transfer up, Hatton fought like an absolute moron, just marching straight into Pacquiao's fists.

Even if Ricky had of been at his best he was still going to get annihilated that night, he would have been battered a lot quicker off Floyd if Floyd didn't spend the night running away

Wibble

Comment

I've won some silly money on boxing before...

£400 on Paulie to beat Broner was a brave bet

Wibble

Comment

• Have you watched the fight? I watched it live and fought Paulie won... Scored it back the next day as a draw so I wasn't too annoyed...

There are still good bets out there what the bookies miss... I had £300+ back off a cheeky £30 on Carson Jones to knock out Brian Rose a few months ago... That was an awful stoppage, mind you.

Comment

Have you watched the fight? I watched it live and fought Paulie won... Scored it back the next day as a draw so I wasn't too annoyed...

There are still good bets out there what the bookies miss... I had £300+ back off a cheeky £30 on Carson Jones to knock out Brian Rose a few months ago... That was an awful stoppage, mind you.
                            Yes mate but i meant pre fight

Wibble

Comment

Have you watched the fight? I watched it live and fought Paulie won... Scored it back the next day as a draw so I wasn't too annoyed...
                              I presume you were betting on Broner being a hype-job rather than Malignaggi being a truly world-class fighter?

Comment

• I was betting on the leap from 135 to 147 being too much for a low output fighter to beat Paulie.

I think Broner has an amazing skill set... He's just not a welterweight for sure... All this ballooning up in between fights has ruined and shortened his career at the top level.

Comment

Working...
                                X