The next British Heavyweight World Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    I was betting on the leap from 135 to 147 being too much for a low output fighter to beat Paulie.

I think Broner has an amazing skill set... He's just not a welterweight for sure... All this ballooning up in between fights has ruined and shortened his career at the top level.
    I hear you although Paulie couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding so i still take Broner
    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• There was nothing before or since to suggest that AB's power would carry up to Welter.

I thought Paulie would considerably outwork him and get the decision. I was wrong.

Comment

There was nothing before or since to suggest that AB's power would carry up to Welter.

I thought Paulie would considerably outwork him and get the decision. I was wrong.
        He caught showtime and plonked him on his arse in the last round recently

Wibble

Comment

• Yeah, he did. Lost every other round of that fight too.

Comment

I was betting on the leap from 135 to 147 being too much for a low output fighter to beat Paulie.

I think Broner has an amazing skill set... He's just not a welterweight for sure... All this ballooning up in between fights has ruined and shortened his career at the top level.
            Interesting, because I don't. He was very lucky to get a win vs Ponce De Leon, and subsequently showed himself to be very lacking in a lot of ways - couldn't cope with inside fighters, couldn't fight on the back foot,m poor defence, never used his jab. He's mediocre at best.

Comment

• Lucky? I had that one wide for AB... :/ actually fought he could have forced the stoppage if he stepped on it.

I guess it's all about what you like... I thought AB vs PDL had by far the more crisper counter punching with PDL barely landing anything clean despite throwing way way more... PDL's volume wasn't eye catching enough for me... Depends what you like when you score a fight I guess?

If a fighter throws 100 in a round and only 10 connect... It might look exciting to the crowd but in my opinion it's not as impressive as a guy who lands 10 from 20.

I will watch the fight again tomorrow morning though as it has been a while...
              Last edited by pottr; 11 August 2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• He had another gift before PDL as well, can't remember the name - the guy took the fight at the last minute and completely outworked Broner, who has always been lazy. Shortly afterwards, he fought William Kickett, who proved Broner really didn't like inside fighting, but wasn't good enough to beat him.

As to scoring, if a guy lands 50 shots to the other guy's 10, I'd score it to the first guy on activity - provided they were proper shots, no Audley-style "Don't-hit-me punches"
                Last edited by gavpowell; 11 August 2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah, he did. Lost every other round of that fight too.
                  You said Broner hadn't showed any power and i pointed out the time he did so no idea what relevance the above comment has?

Wibble

Comment

• All fighters score knock downs... Even the pillow fisted ones...

Broner had power at 135, it hasn't carried to 147. The hit em, quit em type.

I brought up losing every other round because a couple of times you seem to have brought up how hard a fighter hits as a yard stick for their ability... Power doesn't cut the mustard on it's own.

Yes... If 50 shots land. But that wasn't the example I gave.

Comment

All fighters score knock downs... Even the pillow fisted ones...
                      Allow me to introduce you to the legendary Eric Crumble

http://boxrec.com/boxer/5316

Sorry, misread, I thought you'd said the first guy landing 20 out of 100. If the fighter is doing the more effective work and is genuinely making an impact on the course of the fight, I might be inclined to sway in his favour over the guy landing 10 grazing jabs. But unlike a lot of people, and most judges, I have no problem scoring even rounds if neither has obviously won it.
                      Last edited by gavpowell; 12 August 2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

All fighters score knock downs... Even the pillow fisted ones...

Broner had power at 135, it hasn't carried to 147. The hit em, quit em type.

I brought up losing every other round because a couple of times you seem to have brought up how hard a fighter hits as a yard stick for their ability... Power doesn't cut the mustard on it's own.

No i definitely don't use a boxers punching power as a yardstick to how good they are that's just how you decided to perceive the written word, I said Deontay had power In a very bad era for heavyweights i didn't say this made him good,I also said he had improved loads which is what i believe

Wibble

Comment

• Not a heavyweight but what's people's thoughts on George Groves impending world title shot with Badou Jack

1) how good is Groves?
                          2) does he deserve another shot so soon?
                          3) how do you see the fight going?

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                            Not a heavyweight but what's people's thoughts on George Groves impending world title shot with Badou Jack

1) how good is Groves?
                            2) does he deserve another shot so soon?
                            3) how do you see the fight going?
                            not good enough, not really - he will edge it.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              not good enough, not really - he will edge it.
                              Nice and to the point ADR

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                                Nice and to the point ADR
                                and fair I think!
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X