The next British Heavyweight World Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Deontay Wilder is a champion because of excellent management and woeful.... woeful level of opposition.
    He is currently casting around for an opponent, and supposedly his team has approached Hughie Fury. That's Hughie Fury, the novice heavyweight who can't break an egg.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      What makes you think that Wilder is a top HW of this era? He's so technically deficient it's unreal...

In 34 fights the only two names of note on his record are Stiverne (who went to the hospital afterward with dehydration) and Malik Scott.

When he faces a genuine top 5 ranked heavyweight, he'll lose.

Klitschko, Pulev, Fury, Jennings, Povetkin would all school him. I would confidently take a live prospect like AJ or Parker over him too...

I reckon Chisora would be too much for Wilder. Styles make fights and Del Boy would catch him.
      Chisora couldn't catch the number six bus, DW would knock him out inside two rounds.

I don't rate Wilder i just know he has serious power in an extremely bad era for HW boxing, the fact you mention Furys name tells you exactly how bad it is, if Wlad doesn't damage him to much and he ever fights Wilder we can have a nice little wager on the outcome because DW would stretch him no problem.
      This is only my opinion as well
      It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
        He is currently casting around for an opponent, and supposedly his team has approached Hughie Fury. That's Hughie Fury, the novice heavyweight who can't break an egg.
        This is boxing these days, everybody is trying to protect their cash cows,even Floyd picks the correct type of opponent and when to fight them and he's one of the best ever

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
          This is boxing these days, everybody is trying to protect their cash cows,even Floyd picks the correct type of opponent and when to fight them and he's one of the best ever
          Mayweather has been one of the worst cherrypickers in history - his entire post-lightweight career is based on very careful selection of opponents. As a result, he'll be nowhere near the top of the list when the greatest ever boxers are discussed. Prime example is his pathetic choice of Berto for his "farewell" fight.

Pacquiao is the same - when he did fight genuinely top-flight opponents, he tended to impose weight restrictions or rehydration clauses etc. I am getting sick and tired of fighters contesting title fights at catchweights - if you can't manage on a level playing field, stop trying to play.

Can't agree with you on Chisora, pottr - he's long past his best and wasn't fantastic to start with - should have got the decision vs Helenius and did well to survive Klitschko, but Haye smashed him to bits and I think Wilder's power is probably as explosive as it looks. I'll be amazed if he beats Povetkin though.
          Last edited by gavpowell; 8 August 2015, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• The next British Heavyweight World Champion

I take it we won't see a hagler vs hearns from 2 world class boxers, anytime soon then ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
              I take it we won't see a hagler vs hearns from 2 world class boxers, anytime soon then ?
              it wouldnt be good for business

Comment

You might get Kovalev vs Stevenson or Kovalev v Beterbiev, otherwise the better action fights are in the flyweight area, with the likes of Roman Gonzalez.

Comment

Not at heavyweight but there are some awesome fights at other weights

Wibble

Comment

You might get Kovalev vs Stevenson or Kovalev v Beterbiev, otherwise the better action fights are in the flyweight area, with the likes of Roman Gonzalez.
                    Kovalev v Ward - would be good to see the master tactician against the beast Kovalev

Lomachenko v Rigondeux - this is the fight i want to see,two superstars with insane skills
                    Last edited by GeordieDS; 9 August 2015, 02:16 AM.

Wibble

Comment

Mayweather has been one of the worst cherrypickers in history - his entire post-lightweight career is based on very careful selection of opponents. As a result, he'll be nowhere near the top of the list when the greatest ever boxers are discussed. Prime example is his pathetic choice of Berto for his "farewell" fight.

Pacquiao is the same - when he did fight genuinely top-flight opponents, he tended to impose weight restrictions or rehydration clauses etc. I am getting sick and tired of fighters contesting title fights at catchweights - if you can't manage on a level playing field, stop trying to play.

Can't agree with you on Chisora, pottr - he's long past his best and wasn't fantastic to start with - should have got the decision vs Helenius and did well to survive Klitschko, but Haye smashed him to bits and I think Wilder's power is probably as explosive as it looks. I'll be amazed if he beats Povetkin though.
                      Sorry mate comparing Manny to Floyd in cherry picking terms is just wrong, anyone who steps up in weight and beats Morales and Barrera is a legend in my eyes

Wibble

Comment

Sorry mate comparing Manny to Floyd in cherry picking terms is just wrong, anyone who steps up in weight and beats Morales and Barrera is a legend in my eyes
                        He beat Barrera fair and square, but Morales was antique by then and was basically spent after the third Barrera fight. And he still managed to beat Pacquiao first time around, managing to go to the well one last time. By time the second rolled around, he was basically done, having looked very sorry for himself against Raheem, and Pacquiao had improved somewhat. The third was an embarrassment for my favourite fighter of all time.

Pacquiao has some excellent wins against great fighters, as does Mayweather(Castillo, De La Hoya, Corrales Hernandez), but Pacquiao has cherrypicked his way through many of the divisions he contested, taking on either lesser opposition or making sure when he did fight them, he had some advantage such as dictating their weight/hydration limit.

I wrote a summary of Pacquiao's career after the last Marquez fight, taking it weight-by-weight.

http://www.koboxingforum.com/threads...san#post125034
                        Last edited by gavpowell; 8 August 2015, 10:55 PM.

Comment

He beat Barrera fair and square, but Morales was antique by then and was basically spent after the third Barrera fight. And he still managed to beat Pacquiao first time around, managing to go to the well one last time. By time the second rolled around, he was basically done, having looked very sorry for himself against Raheem, and Pacquiao had improved somewhat. The third was an embarrassment for my favourite fighter of all time.

Pacquiao has some excellent wins against great fighters, as does Mayweather(Castillo, De La Hoya, Corrales Hernandez), but Pacquiao has cherrypicked his way through many of the divisions he contested, taking on either lesser opposition or making sure when he did fight them, he had some advantage such as dictating their weight/hydration limit.

I wrote a summary of Pacquiao's career after the last Marquez fight, taking it weight-by-weight.

http://www.koboxingforum.com/threads...san#post125034

Sorry Gav but anybody who slates Manny don't know boxing,he's a legend plain and simple who's ducked nobody and went through how many weight divisions? Yes he bashed your hero but EL Terrible was my favourite boxer as well and i watched in awe as this midget started to break him down, he's a freak and along with Morales,Hearns,Hagler,Leonard he's one of my favourite ever fighters, now Floyd is a horrible piece of **** and i hope he dissapears after his final joke fight with Berto

Wibble

Comment

Sorry Gav but anybody who slates Manny don't know boxing,he's a legend plain and simple who's ducked nobody and went through how many weight divisions?
                            Yeah, he went through eight weight divisions, great. As I detail in the link above, he did it in a very opportunistic way - catchweight against a past-it Margarito with eye injuries, while weighing less than the welterweight limit, lightweight against the weakest champ. And when he captured titles at soke of these weights, against whom did he defend them? Well, often he didn't, preferring to skip to a different division. It's akin to Roy Jones beating Ruiz - move up and take out a sitting-duck "champion" and then move on before anyone cam think about opponents. Adrien Broner has titles in three divisions for Christ's sake, and he's a hack.

Morales was pretty much done by the time Pacquiao got to him, or do you believe Zahir Raheem is also a legend for beating Morales?

Pacquiao isn't a midget compared to Morales either - he's a couple of inches shorter, but about the same height as Barrera. Morales and Mayweather are the same height, too. Mayweather has conquered five divisions, including beating Manny Pacquiao, but he's not in contention for the greatest of all time either.

I know my boxing, I just don't buy into the propaganda about Pacquiao - hell of a fighter, but not some once-in-a-liftetime phenom.
                            Last edited by gavpowell; 9 August 2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Yeah, he went through eight weight divisions, great. As I detail in the link above, he did it in a very opportunistic way - catchweight against a past-it Margarito with eye injuries, while weighing less than the welterweight limit, lightweight against the weakest champ. And when he captured titles at soke of these weights, against whom did he defend them? Well, often he didn't, preferring to skip to a different division. It's akin to Roy Jones beating Ruiz - move up and take out a sitting-duck "champion" and then move on before anyone cam think about opponents. Adrien Broner has titles in three divisions for Christ's sake, and he's a hack.

Morales was pretty much done by the time Pacquiao got to him, or do you believe Zahir Raheem is also a legend for beating Morales?

Pacquiao isn't a midget compared to Morales either - he's a couple of inches shorter, but about the same height as Barrera. Morales and Mayweather are the same height, too. Mayweather has conquered five divisions, including beating Manny Pacquiao, but he's not in contention for the greatest of all time either.

I know my boxing, I just don't buy into the propaganda about Pacquiao - hell of a fighter, but not some once-in-a-liftetime phenom.
                              So who is then?

Wibble

Comment

• I don't like Floyd Mayweather's character...

But he is undeniably the best fighter of our generation... Transcends the sport in a way that even Tyson didn't.

Castillo, Corrales, Hernandez, De la Hoya, Judah, Moseley, a peak Hatton, Marquez

An undefeated Canelo. Miguel Cotto, both of whom went on to win world titles after Floyd beat them.

Who hasn't he fought? I guess you could only say Paul Williams or Margarito?

He beat the pound for pound number 2 last time out and dominated... When was the last time a champion fought a p4p number 2?

20 odd World title defences... Zero losses, who comes close?

Floyd's character has nothing to do with his ability in the ring.
                                TBE? Maybe not, but he is definitely in the conversation for sure...

Pacquiao is an all time great... But not the tsunami you mention for sure... Excellently managed and never solidified himself in any division. Catch weight king.

If you think Manny stacks up versus FMjr in terms of skill or legacy... Then I would withdraw entirely coz clearly YDKSAB xx
                                Last edited by pottr; 10 August 2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X