New 1g balls, are they real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    hm, Aramith Premier balls are usually around the 120-130g are they not?
    Oh you are scaring me now. Are they within 1gm of each other?

Comment

That weight sounds like the premier balls

Comment

hm, Aramith Premier balls are usually around the 120-130g are they not?
        https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...ge2#post555995

Post#18 gives me some assurance. What do you think Dean? Is that post right?

Comment

Aramith just make two sets of balls ,forget about this 1g stuff ,all the 1g and 3 g are the same balls it’s just quality control that hand picks a set out to have the tolerances slightly tighter .It’s the balls called premier that weigh around 125 gram .For your scales to be out to around this weight would be highly unlikely ,it’s more likely that you have the cheaper premier balls .Check your balls weight against a set of tc in a club on the same set of scales just to be 100% .142g / 143g is what you should have .As soon as you hit the premier balls the difference is massive compared to the tc’s ,I can tell the difference instantly .

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

Time to check the scales! Maybe weigh a bag of sugar or something that you know what it should weigh, just to check they are accurate?
            Thats a good idea. Some of these cheap scales are a bit dodgy but I wouldn’t think they would be so far out. Looks to me like the balls are Aramith Premier.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...ge2#post555995

Post#18 gives me some assurance. What do you think Dean? Is that post right?
              Afraid the post is incorrect. Poster has got himself totally confused.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

Afraid the post is incorrect. Poster has got himself totally confused.
                Yep ,he thinks 1g and 3 g balls are different ,he’s either trying to be clever or he’s describing premier and tc balls with out knowing what he’s on about .

Comment

I had a very good player round at mine who thought 1g where different balls to the tournament champs … I’m not mentioning any names! Lol

Just shows you… we are snooker geeks on here!

Comment

That cheap scale had to be manually calibrated. It was not weighing other products correctly too. I remember weighing a 100gms product but it showed 89.9 gms on the scale. Another 220gms santiser weighed 238+gms on it. It was also not setting back to 0.00 on every restart. Sometimes, 0.14 and 0.04 later, etc.
                    Last edited by fkhan; 15 November 2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Here’s a copy of the weights of my balls when I bought them at The Crucible in 2011. They were not sold as 1g but they were. I’ve had to replace the white a couple of times. Not weighed them recently as I haven’t been practicing at all.
                      PS. You’ll see a note that they cost me 120 pounds. Great investment. Could probably sell them for 50.

Last edited by Nifty50; 15 November 2021, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

Oh you are scaring me now. Are they within 1gm of each other?
                        Premier balls are usually 3g range but probability laws allows for a 1g set to be combined by chance

I have two sets of Aramith Tournament Champions

the oldest set I bought off TSF many years ago were bought as a 3g set - range 138-141g

1g set given as a thank you - range 140-141g
                        Last edited by DeanH; 15 November 2021, 10:04 AM.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Premier balls are usually 3g range but probability laws allows for a 1g set to be combined by chance

I have two sets of Aramith Tournament Champions

the oldest set I bought off TSF many years ago were bought as a 3g set - range 138-141g

1g set given as a thank you - range 140-141g
                          But the premier balls aren't legal tournament balls, they are too light.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

But the premier balls aren't legal tournament balls, they are too light.
                            They’re legal but nobody would want to play with them. The rules don’t specify a weight….only says that each set must be within tolerance of 3G between lightest and heaviest in the set.
                            PS. So all those clubs who are playing their league matches with a set of TC’s and a “club white” are not playing with a legal set.
                            Last edited by Nifty50; 15 November 2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

They’re legal but nobody would want to play with them. The rules don’t specify a weight….only says that each set must be within tolerance of 3G between lightest and heaviest in the set.
                              PS. So all those clubs who are playing their league matches with a set of TC’s and a “club white” are not playing with a legal set.
                              Cheers Nifty I thought they had to be 140g minimum.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Screenshot_20211117-001121_Gallery.jpg Finally, bought a new scale. This time a very precise one to weigh tiny ornaments like gold. It is accurate up to 0.01gms (10mgs).

I weighed all the balls and here is the finding:

The green is the lightest of the lot while the black is the heaviest. The maximum weight difference between them is 0.88gms. Attached a pic showing their individual weights.

The set is genuine. I'm on cloud 9.
                                Last edited by fkhan; 16 November 2021, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X