New 1g balls, are they real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

On eBay all the time Mikee, used to go for about 10-20 pound a set , I bought a few that were in great nick.
    I have an Old set still ,but there a bit chipped but still play ok ,the Aramith balls sound a bit dull , the supers have a more higher pitched click .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post

1972 ,Alex Higgins used to carry his own set around doing exhibitions apparently ,because most of the old clubs still used the old balls ,the supers really changed the game .
      Thanks Mikee, thats interesting to know.

Comment

Alex was staying at the hotel I was working at in the late 80’s I was not that old at the time ,he was on the Bandit and drinking quite a bit ,me and my girlfriend were off up the road to watch an exhibition with him and Tony Knowles later that evening .I was asking him about the balls and the tables and that’s when he told me about the supers and how it made him and John Spencer play all these crazy screw and spin shots ,he really was quite amicable that day ,things changed about an hour later though and not for the better ,he was totally drunk in the evening of the match .Another thing he did say was how tv popularity had forced the governing body to make the pockets bigger . Higgins may have been a bit of a drunken idiot most of the time ,but he did say what he thought .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
          Alex was staying at the hotel I was working at in the late 80’s I was not that old at the time ,he was on the Bandit and drinking quite a bit ,me and my girlfriend were off up the road to watch an exhibition with him and Tony Knowles later that evening .I was asking him about the balls and the tables and that’s when he told me about the supers and how it made him and John Spencer play all these crazy screw and spin shots ,he really was quite amicable that day ,things changed about an hour later though and not for the better ,he was totally drunk in the evening of the match .Another thing he did say was how tv popularity had forced the governing body to make the pockets bigger . Higgins may have been a bit of a drunken idiot most of the time ,but he did say what he thought .

That’s a good story and sounds about right, both with the balls and Higgins !.
          It’s these opinions and others from Higgins that the WPSBA tried to silence on numerous occasions. He had a point at times but of course most of it was lost in his drunken rants which was a shame .

I’m sure VMax has already mentioned this somewhere but when was the SC balls changed to the current ones ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
            I’m sure VMax has already mentioned this somewhere but when was the SC balls changed to the current ones ?
            The Aramith Tournament Champion phenolic resin balls came out about 1981/2, when they became the ball of choice for the pro tour not so sure but looks around the early 2000s.
            Anyone with a better date?
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

The Aramith Tournament Champion phenolic resin balls came out about 1981/2, when they became the ball of choice for the pro tour not so sure but looks around the early 2000s.
              Thanks Dean .

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

All I know is that they dropped the new balls in gradually ,I don’t think anyone knows the exact time frame ,late 90’s early 2000’s does seem about right ,probably coinciding with the new faster thinner cloths and heated tables .It would be around that time that Hendry and Whites games started going south .

Comment

I got a set a few months ago from mcbilliard, my box has the new 'WST' logo and not World snooker so i assume your set is from before the switch to wst, not that that is worse in any part.

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
                    I got a set a few months ago from mcbilliard, my box has the new 'WST' logo and not World snooker so i assume your set is from before the switch to wst, not that that is worse in any part.
                    Can we see some pics please?

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

Can we see some pics please?
                      Sure,

https://ibb.co/84RsKDM
                      https://ibb.co/K03HKYx
                      Last edited by Delphi; 19 November 2021, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Looks superb.

Comment

Reply from Aramith about the greens:

Screenshot_20211119-150152_Gmail.jpg

Comment

With all this talk about Super Crystalate i feel like getting such set too, or is that silly if you already have a 1g set

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                              Looks superb.
                              Yes, and for me the colours need to be in order in the box, or else something simply does not compute, i know, i'm a weird dude.

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post

Yes, and for me the colours need to be in order in the box, or else something simply does not compute, i know, i'm a weird dude.
                                not the only one with this!
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X