New 1g balls, are they real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Got a question for you guys with SC sets, do you play with them for nostalgia now and again or do you play with them because you really love the contact and reaction on them? Cheers.
    I play with them as they're the balls I learned with back in 1981 and the way they deflect, throw, run through, screw back etc is something I don't have to adjust for. When The Aramiths came into the game I was flummoxed by the way the reacted and simply couldn't get on with them. Every contact on an angled shot seems to be thicker than I'm used to, straightish run throughs become stuns due to bad contacts, stuns become screws when you don't get a bad contact and side seems to dissapear sometimes. I'd rather simply get the odd kick due to chalk than run the Aramith minefield as to what just happened to the spin I put on the cue ball

Yes I'm not great at snooker and my cue action isn't up there with a regular ton maker but when SC's were the standard ball I played pretty good but went downhill faster than Franz Klammer in the three new snooker clubs that opened in Barnstaple during the 80's snooker boom. They all used Aramith balls, and they weren't TC's then, there was only one kind and the weight of the things must have varied a lot to get the reactions that I was getting.
    When our club went down the Aramith TC route I bought a new set of Aramith SC's that turned out to be better than the standard club Aramith's but still had something missing so I then bought a genuine old set off ebay that were in great nick and have used them ever since for both solo practise and games against my regular snooker partner who also feels the way I do about Aramith balls. We both play so much better with my SC's than the clubs set of Aramith TC's and now Premiers for pete's sake!

I'm, going to ask the club steward if the club still have the genuine old SC's they replaced and if they do I'll buy them and put them up for sale on the forum.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Just a word to the wise... I bought a set of SC's on eBay only £25 with delivery, arrived today and the cue ball weighs 10g less than the rest of the set! Didn't realise light whites occured with SC's. So the set to mind are useless other than to donate to my club as a spare set.

Thought I'd share in case anyone else was considering it.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Just a word to the wise... I bought a set of SC's on eBay only £25 with delivery, arrived today and the cue ball weighs 10g less than the rest of the set! Didn't realise light whites occured with SC's. So the set to mind are useless other than to donate to my club as a spare set.

Are the others 10 gms lighter or just the cue ball? How much do they all weigh?
        Last edited by fkhan; 3 December 2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

Are the others 10 gms lighter or just the cue ball? How much do they all weigh?
          They range from 140 to 142 the white is 132g.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Just a word to the wise... I bought a set of SC's on eBay only £25 with delivery, arrived today and the cue ball weighs 10g less than the rest of the set! Didn't realise light whites occured with SC's. So the set to mind are useless other than to donate to my club as a spare set.
            Is it difficult to get hold of a white from an old knackered set?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

Is it difficult to get hold of a white from an old knackered set?
              I did search, but no results so I would say very rare chance of getting one.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• I have heard that Martin Chesworth will weight cue balls for you and get one the right weight for your set.

https://www.chesworthcues.com/
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  I have heard that Martin Chesworth will weight cue balls for you and get one the right weight for your set.

https://www.chesworthcues.com/
                  Yeh thanks Dean, trouble is these are vintage SC's and the new ones aren't the same. So unless I can find and old cue for sale at 142g , which is unlikely I'm screwed.

Wonder if others members on here have had light whites in Thier sets ?
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Yeh thanks Dean, trouble is these are vintage SC's and the new ones aren't the same. So unless I can find and old cue for sale at 142g , which is unlikely I'm screwed.

oh yes sorry misread the "old set", you never know though he may have some older balls lying around

Comment

I bought a few sets had one light white, guessing the original was replaced by any old white as it was crazily light. I used the white out another SC set and the white out of a modern TC set and compared them, didn't find any difference in how they played, although I appreciate you want the authentic feeling of using a complete original set.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

I bought a few sets had one light white, guessing the original was replaced by any old white as it was crazily light. I used the white out another SC set and the white out of a modern TC set and compared them, didn't find any difference in how they played, although I appreciate you want the authentic feeling of using a complete original set.
                        Yeh thanks mate, I'm going to look out for a billiard set and try and get a decent weight one that way.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Anyone know if these are Aramith SC's ? I think the black Boxed ones are Aramith not the originals but not 100% sure on that...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115120454....c101113.m2108
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Anyone know if these are Aramith SC's ? I think the black Boxed ones are Aramith not the originals but not 100% sure on that...

I believe these are Aramith SCs - or I should say the box is(); as to age, not sure.

Comment

Anyone know if these are Aramith SC's ? I think the black Boxed ones are Aramith not the originals but not 100% sure on that...

I hope you find a cue ball to match your set if you buy these.

Comment

Made in belgium equals Aramith, made in england equals Composite Ball Company.
                                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                                X