This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by mittonsimon View Post
    Ive been searching around some forums but cannot find any info on a cue that was handed down to me from my grandfather.

Its a Rex Williams Powerglide Hand-finished Diamond cue. See attached pictures for specifics.

I am just interested in the cue quality / antique credit. I have been playing snooker for a while and feel comfortable with the cue but really want a 2 piece for travel. Any ideas on some alternatives..
    it's about 35-40 years old. A guy in my team uses one, he got it for his 18th birthday and he's just over 50 now. Not a massively common cue but not neccesarily a rarity and not an antique by definition. Nice cue to play with though. My mates has lost the badge but it's exactly the same other than that.
    I spoke to the marketing director of powerglide about this model, it stopped being made a long time ago, prob 80's or early 90's, double machine spliced, ebony and (I think) mahogany with the mahogany splices being offset to the ebony to give the "black diamond" pattern, 2 veneers and an ebony face splice. I honestly wouldn't know a value of it today, but if I had to guess I wouldn't say particularly high, maybe between £50 and £100 maximum. Hope this helps
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      thats jolly nice!
      Is the taper much defferent than usual.? Nice looking cue.!
      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

• Just bought my 1st cheap used cue from someone who quit snooker. Was wondering whether is it possible to fix the butt for it to be able to insert the extender? Mine's a 1/2 cue type.

And also should i use sandpaper number 400 then number 1000 or just directly use number 1000 to make the shaft smooth? Sorry for the noob questions. Just picked up Snooker and joined the school's team as a co curricular activity.

Comment

• Almost all cue makers will be able to add a joint in the bottom to fit an extension. When I got mine done a while ago it only took him 5 minutes and all was done.

Comment

• Originally Posted by NorthWestJunior View Post
            Almost all cue makers will be able to add a joint in the bottom to fit an extension. When I got mine done a while ago it only took him 5 minutes and all was done.
            is there a standardised joint? or are they all differerent?
            my new britania (see above) has a joint, but not sure of the type of mount

Comment

• Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
              Just bought my 1st cheap used cue from someone who quit snooker. Was wondering whether is it possible to fix the butt for it to be able to insert the extender? Mine's a 1/2 cue type.

And also should i use sandpaper number 400 then number 1000 or just directly use number 1000 to make the shaft smooth? Sorry for the noob questions. Just picked up Snooker and joined the school's team as a co curricular activity.
              Snooker's available as a CCA nowadays? Goodness, how things have changed. Snooker had a not too wholesome reputation during my school days. I still remember playing truant just to while away at a smoky snooker "club" with rather shady characters.

Don't sand the cue or you'll strip the finish off the wood. Bare wood deteriorates and you're going to ruin your cue. No doubt the cue will feel smoother immediately after sanding but it will roughen up in no time. Then sand again? You're going to end up with a matchstick for a shaft... Lol.

If you have a particularly sticky or dirty shaft, apply a thin coat of cue oil, wipe off the grit with paper napkin then buff dry with a soft cloth. Otherwise just wipe it down with an almost dry towel then quickly buff dry with a soft cloth. If it's in that bad a shape, invest in a new one... Mastercues and Omins are readily available here and they are as good as any. Good value for money and will serve you well for many years to come if you maintain it properly.
              When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
                Snooker's available as a CCA nowadays? Goodness, how things have changed. Snooker had a not too wholesome reputation during my school days. I still remember playing truant just to while away at a smoky snooker "club" with rather shady characters.

Don't sand the cue or you'll strip the finish off the wood. Bare wood deteriorates and you're going to ruin your cue. No doubt the cue will feel smoother immediately after sanding but it will roughen up in no time. Then sand again? You're going to end up with a matchstick for a shaft... Lol.

If you have a particularly sticky or dirty shaft, apply a thin coat of cue oil, wipe off the grit with paper napkin then buff dry with a soft cloth. Otherwise just wipe it down with an almost dry towel then quickly buff dry with a soft cloth. If it's in that bad a shape, invest in a new one... Mastercues and Omins are readily available here and they are as good as any. Good value for money and will serve you well for many years to come if you maintain it properly.
                I don't have cue oil but I did purchase this raw linseed oil. I already applied it but I believe I applied too much from the start and it became squeeky instead of smooth. I then use alcohol wipes to clear it off and now I'm back to square one again. Basically the previous owner mentioned that this cue has been in his case for more than 5 years without maintenance. I'm getting a little confused here. Some people say apply raw linseed oil and leave it over the night to dry for 1 night. Others say just buff it.

I want to have those smooth finish but I have no idea where to start. I don't want to spend so much first because I'm still a noob and starting slow that's why I bought this 2nd handed cue.

Comment

• You need to apply thin coats and let it dry before buffing. Also, make sure the cue is clean first using a damp cloth as mentioned above. Then dry with a towel before applying the Linseed.

Comment

• Originally Posted by safe t boy View Post
                    You need to apply thin coats and let it dry before buffing. Also, make sure the cue is clean first using a damp cloth as mentioned above. Then dry with a towel before applying the Linseed.
                    Thanks for the tip. Just applied a thin coating of the linseed oil. Will leave it overnight to dry up and wipe it the next day.

Comment

• new trev

my new trev with mine like twins

Comment

• Nice cue that n its got good company bye the looks of it .

Comment

• Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                          Few pics of my mates new Trevor (the most beautiful cue ever! Finish is unreal!), his Parris and my Unclevit.

Where did you mate buy that Parris? Looks like my old one!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                            my new trev with mine like twins
                            Just saw them both in the flesh a couple of hours ago. Nice cues there jim.

Michael
                            Always a pleasure

Comment

• Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
                              yea im in my school snooker club too. Next sat got a inter-school competition

Comment

• Originally Posted by soggybear View Post
                                yea im in my school snooker club too. Next sat got a inter-school competition
                                I would have spent more time in school if they had this during my time... :snooker:
                                When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Working...
                                X