Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair play Bill, my bad in forgetting the original post. Yes, under the SoGa JP should have offered what CAB describe:

If it isn’t, you can usually get one of the following:

a repair
    a replacement
    your money back (a refund)
    some of your money back.

JP offered him a replacement or refund. He doesn't have to offer a repair if he deems it uneconomic. JP complied with the law so I fail to understand the customer's beef with JP's service. What's disappointing are the splices lifting to begin with, I can understand the customer's frustration with that, given JP's rep. I guess that the cue arrived through the post because it would have been obvious at JP's shop? It's always a good idea to go to the shop and test the cue, so that JP can address any faults there, that's partly what the shop is for, to test the cue, that's part of the price you pay to JP. However, whoever inspected this cue before packing needs a word.

I'm curious as to the splices, what were they?
    Last edited by Master Blaster; 10 June 2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Trouble is with the the bear not having a hand in any cue making these days there's going to be some dodgy ones leave the workshop as we've seen of late. And with orders flying into his business making him fast money I'm pretty sure quality has to take a back step a few times.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
        Trouble is with the the bear not having a hand in any cue making these days there's going to be some dodgy ones leave the workshop as we've seen of late. And with orders flying into his business making him fast money I'm pretty sure quality has to take a back step a few times.
        Yep, he's gone corporate, that's the problem. But the cue makers and the person passing the cue on inspection failed badly. It's largely about turnover with Parris Cues now unfortunately. Peradon are another case history example. I'd still like to know the splices though.

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

same in any venture success breeds complecancy where volume is involved

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
            same in any venture success breeds complecancy where volume is involved
            I agree, but there is also pressure from the accountants, mgrs and bankers to concentrate on what they think is important, pure profit. At least JP made an effort, can you imagine what Aurora would have done? JP still buys and selects the wood and he says he inspects the cues though this may be limited to the JPUs now. Obviously, he's a very busy man in big demand. He can't do everything to be fair and because of that, the odd bad un slips by. But what if the cue began splitting in the transit, after it was inspected? I'm not saying that was the case, just thinking aloud.

Why would the splices split so early, not enough glue, not flat shaft, not flat spices? Poorly made, quickly made, not enough clamp time?
            Last edited by Master Blaster; 10 June 2015, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Master blaster check your facts 1st please, the cue was not 6 months old it was brand new and the splices were lifting on the day I received it after a 9 month wait. It was a 1 piece John Parris special cue and it was the ebony finger splices that were lifting. It was the fact I would have to wait another 9 months or just receive a refund that I was unhappy with, nobody wants either of those options after already waiting 9 months for a cue. In the end after much discussion I agreed to the refund but felt extremely disappointed with the customer service especially considering I had to pay for postage. I've had problems with a brand new 1 piece Crispian Jones cue (loose ferrule) and a brand new 3/4 Robin Cook cue (crack in the ebony splice coming from the joint) but they both agreed to pay for postage and sort the problems out for me asap.....that is proper customer service
              Last edited by rob s; 10 June 2015, 09:38 AM.
              77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

• Originally Posted by rob s View Post
                Master blaster check your facts 1st please, the cue was not 6 months old it was brand new and the splices were lifting on the day I received it after a 9 month wait. It was a 1 piece John Parris special cue and it was the ebony finger splices that were lifting. It was the fact I would have to wait another 9 months or just receive a refund that I was unhappy with, nobody wants either of those options after already waiting 9 months for a cue. In the end after much discussion I agreed to the refund but felt extremely disappointed with the customer service especially considering I had to pay for postage. I've had problems with a brand new 1 piece Crispian Jones cue (loose ferrule) and a brand new 3/4 Robin Cook cue (crack in the ebony splice coming from the joint) but they both agreed to pay for postage and sort the problems out for me asap.....that is proper customer service
                If you check back, you'll see I've picked up the 'new cue' point in the thread, my bad. Yes, ebony should not split that early if ever unless it is whacked hard. But he offered you a new cue or a refund. He should have paid postage as well under distance selling regulations so bad form JP! But he doesn't have to repair the cue, it's up to him and he chose refund or replacement instead, those are his rights as a seller. Whether that was a good idea on JP's part is moot. If I was him I would have repaired it but that's me. The truth is JP can probably offer you a new cue and put you in the queue, repair the cue you sent back and flog the repaired cue as quick as which = double bubble. Even after a refund, he can flog the repaired cue. I doubt it was binned.
                Last edited by Master Blaster; 10 June 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• MB .....What Rob is saying , is why should he wait another 9 months for a replacement cue . Personally think that JP should have repaired the cue.
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Picture of my three James Butters cues, in various states of finish.

cues_butters_tsf.jpg

1. Plain ash ebony with a quilted maple facing splice with black and white veneers.
                    2. Ebony butt with Mexican rosewood splice and green veneer.
                    3. Black ebony butt with four secondary splicings of Brazilian tulipwood and thick maple
                    veneers.

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

Love the tulip wood cue, looks very nice.
                      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

• It's absolutely beautiful.....and plays well, but the mexican rosewood suits me better (playing wise). The quilted maple I haven't tried yet, but the specs are more to the rosewood. The tulip wood cue is noticeably lighter...a bit too light for me.

Comment

• twsd1_edited-1.jpgtwsd3.jpgtwsd4.jpgtwsd5.jpgtwsd2.jpg

The new cue, collected today.

Macassar ebony, Flame Maple & Amboyna (I think)! A nice round butt. 58', 18oz, 9mm - Jointed through the splices ala The Nugget!

Comment

• Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                            [ATTACH]17933[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17934[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17935[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17936[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17937[/ATTACH]

The new cue, collected today.

Macassar ebony, Flame Maple & Amboyna (I think)! A nice round butt. 58', 18oz, 9mm - Jointed through the splices ala The Nugget!
                            Nice shaft on that cue !! looks very nice !! hope plays as good as he looks !!

Comment

• My last James Butters cue, and now one of a set of four. I haven't played with it yet. They all 'feel' good, but this one is quite a work of art (in my view). I hope it works for me.

2016_June_JB04_red.jpg

Comment

• Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                                My last James Butters cue, and now one of a set of four. I haven't played with it yet. They all 'feel' good, but this one is quite a work of art (in my view). I hope it works for me.

[ATTACH]17938[/ATTACH]
                                Very nice that

Comment

Working...
                                X