Well, it's coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
    Still no luck Geoff, sourcing me a nice square legger??
    No nothing has come up yet , plenty of turned legged ones are out there one Stevens and sons on my web site with fancy shade looks immaculate , but has billiard top plates , a few rough square legs but would not recommend them .

Geoff
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

you really want to know.............????
      Being a custom home builder here in Canada I would love to know the cost. First off steel trusses never seen or used them. Block walls where we would use 2x6 1/2" drywall on inside and clay brick on exterior. I find it fascinating how different countries build homes. Great to watch the progress.
      " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
      " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
      http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
        Being a custom home builder here in Canada I would love to know the cost. First off steel trusses never seen or used them. Block walls where we would use 2x6 1/2" drywall on inside and clay brick on exterior. I find it fascinating how different countries build homes. Great to watch the progress.
        Our garden was test dug at the point nearest to the stream that borders the back of our property though its 3m below the level of the house. The dig was fine till about 3ft down when they hit a membrane under the topsoil - under that to a depth of approx. 8ft was all backfill chippings.
        The back of the garden where it meets the stream bank is reinforced / stabilized by a lot of boulders and rocks in a mesh cage. Apparently, when the houses on my road were being built, there was a huge storm and the erosion from the storm possibly took away sufficient earth to necessitate reinforcing the gardens of the homes along my side. Therefore, to offset the cost, an extra house was built, tucked away in afar corner of the cul-de-sac. So it looks like the garden was backfilled to up against the boulders to raise it then the membrane placed to avoid the topsoil washing through. Given the size of the build, this is why the structural engineer and the building control guys wanted the foundations piling, the pile on the corner of the footings nearest to where the test dig was done is about 6.5m deep, so 3m or so below the level of the stream. I dropped an athletics type tape measure down it and was gobsmacked how far down it dropped. The other piles are not as deep but the shallowest is 1.8m deep. There's a reinforced concrete / steel mesh beam in the centre of the floor, again under which are piles.

There was about 10 tons of soil dug out by hand to create the footings and slab.

I think the concrete slab is 6 inches deep with kingspan insulation beneath.

Walls are 300mm thick, brick outsides, blocks inside with upgraded insulation. The blockwork and the house wall were dot and dabbed with plasterboard and skimmed.

The window sills in the bay are 900mm high so they aren't lower than the sofa / armchair that's going in, the rest are 680mm high so are at arse height so we can perch on them while playing! Avoids cluttering the place up with chairs etc. for which we had no room round the periphery anyway so was a neat solution to seating when the lads are round post curry on a Friday night.

There's a box gutter to the rear with a cavity tray in the house wall.

Roof is an ultraframe steel roof with Celsius elite glass.

Costs.....................

£43k for the build, including all electrics, plastering, floor tiling and under floor heating. Moving of existing soil pipe, outside tap, kitchen waste, outside power sockets etc. Piling was an extra £4300, the building company chipped in £2k as it wasn't their fault our ground is iffy but their fault they didn't find this out till almost too late.

2 x indoor air to air heat pump units going in tomorrow, giving us additional (efficient) heating capacity and cooling capability in summer, not to mention clean, filtered air too. Planning on using solar panels to power the heated floor while I'm at work during the day then knock them off and use the more efficient heat pumps at night if needed. Solar panels were £7.5k for 4KW system, heat pumps circa £3k.

Obvious table costs, luminaires, snooker accessories etc. etc.

****, I've spent a bit but WTF, life's for living.........and my bank lent at very generous terms till April 11th then shut that avenue down so I got in while I could!!!!

Comment

Our garden was test dug at the point nearest to the stream that borders the back of our property though its 3m below the level of the house. The dig was fine till about 3ft down when they hit a membrane under the topsoil - under that to a depth of approx. 8ft was all backfill chippings.
          The back of the garden where it meets the stream bank is reinforced / stabilized by a lot of boulders and rocks in a mesh cage. Apparently, when the houses on my road were being built, there was a huge storm and the erosion from the storm possibly took away sufficient earth to necessitate reinforcing the gardens of the homes along my side. Therefore, to offset the cost, an extra house was built, tucked away in afar corner of the cul-de-sac. So it looks like the garden was backfilled to up against the boulders to raise it then the membrane placed to avoid the topsoil washing through. Given the size of the build, this is why the structural engineer and the building control guys wanted the foundations piling, the pile on the corner of the footings nearest to where the test dig was done is about 6.5m deep, so 3m or so below the level of the stream. I dropped an athletics type tape measure down it and was gobsmacked how far down it dropped. The other piles are not as deep but the shallowest is 1.8m deep. There's a reinforced concrete / steel mesh beam in the centre of the floor, again under which are piles.

There was about 10 tons of soil dug out by hand to create the footings and slab.

Walls are 300mm thick, brick outsides, blocks inside with upgraded insulation. The blockwork and the house wall were dot and dabbed with plasterboard and skimmed.

The window sills in the bay are 900mm high so they aren't lower than the sofa / armchair that's going in, the rest are 680mm high so are at arse height so we can perch on them while playing! Avoids cluttering the place up with chairs etc. for which we had no room round the periphery anyway so was a neat solution to seating when the lads are round post curry on a Friday night.

£43k for the build, including all electrics, plastering, floor tiling and under floor heating. Moving of existing soil pipe, outside tap, kitchen waste, outside power sockets etc. Piling was an extra £4300, the building company chipped in £2k as it wasn't their fault our ground is iffy but their fault they didn't find this out till almost too late.

2 x indoor air to air heat pump units going in tomorrow, giving us additional (efficient) heating capacity and cooling capability in summer, not to mention clean, filtered air too. Planning on using solar panels to power the heated floor while I'm at work during the day then knock them off and use the more efficient heat pumps at night if needed. Solar panels were £7.5k for 4KW system, heat pumps circa £3k.

****, I've spent a bit but WTF, life's for living.........and my bank lent at very generous terms till April 11th then shut that avenue down so I got in while I could!!!!
          Thanks for all the info, that price does not seem that bad considering what you are getting. Looks like it won't be long now and you will have lots of big matches going on. Keep the photos coming.

Comment

Sound's to me like the membrane your describing is terram which will allow drainage through but not allow any soil to be washed away, and the metal gabian baskets are a good way to stop erosion add on to that the piling that's been done,it looks like it's going to stand forever

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
              Sound's to me like the membrane your describing is terram which will allow drainage through but not allow any soil to be washed away, and the metal gabian baskets are a good way to stop erosion add on to that the piling that's been done,it looks like it's going to stand forever
              You said what I was trying to describe for more eloquently than I did! Yep, could build anything on there and it shouldn't fall into the stream!

Comment

http://s150.photobucket.com/user/tho...snooker%20room

Painting done, second fix electrics inc luminaires (though these aren't yet in final position till table is installed!) heat pumps in today. Skirtings on tomorrow and then a good 'ol tidy up.......then TV etc. to mount, sofa's to go in then the last bit of the jigsaw, the table....

Comment

A snooker room is certainly quite a bit of cash up front as I know only too well. Amortised over the life of the project it is bupkis! Same with the cost of a table. The room will add value to your home anyway. I have 2 sons so even when I shuffle off this mortal coil, perhaps they will play on the table for years.

I did a barn conversion for mine. I wonder if it would have been cheaper to do a new build but I like the character in mine.

Regarding the piling etc. that is the difference between getting somebody who knows what he is doing rather than just a jobbing builder who digs a hole and starts pouring concrete.
                  Last edited by philip in china; 10 June 2014, 01:21 PM.
                  王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                    Regarding the piling etc. that is the difference between getting somebody who knows what he is doing rather than just a jobbing builder who digs a whole and starts pouring concrete.
                    Well, the sheer size of the build meant if fell under Building Regulations which was no bad thing IMO as the foundations, insulation etc. etc all had to be of a certain standard, unlike a small conservatory / orangery. So once the clipboard Police get involved everything cranks up several notches not only in costs but standards as well, which I'm happy with.

Comment

Just one thing missing...............maybe later today!!!

Comment

It's come on a right treat brother, nice one...

I wish I had the mindset to take pictures of mine being built stage by stage... Come to think of it, I haven't even posted any pictures of the completed room yet.

Comment

Just one thing missing...............maybe later today!!!
                          Great job, looks fantastic. Can't wait for the final photo. What kind of table are you putting?

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                            It's come on a right treat brother, nice one...

I wish I had the mindset to take pictures of mine being built stage by stage... Come to think of it, I haven't even posted any pictures of the completed room yet.
                            I am sure we would all like to see some. My room was built into my basement when I built my new home two years ago.

Comment

I'll have to take some and throw them up.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                                I am sure we would all like to see some. My room was built into my basement when I built my new home two years ago.
                                lovin' that ball rack!!

Comment

Working...
                                X