Well, it's coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://s150.photobucket.com/user/tho...snooker%20room

well we started at 0750 this morning and the fitters were complete by 1430. Magical day......

Comment

Really nice set of pics of the whole build.
      Been very warm just lately, how is the room doing, i can see a few windows open, but would it be ok to play in ?? my conservatory regularly reaches 114 degrees !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
        http://s150.photobucket.com/user/tho...snooker%20room

well we started at 0750 this morning and the fitters were complete by 1430. Magical day......
        Funny I was just showing my wife the photos from earlier today and in comes the finish product. Looks great. Very little sleep this weekend it's Snooker time. You can always take a quick nap on the couch in the window providing your wife is not using it to some knitting....LOL
        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

I am really pleased for you. I hope you have many, many happy times in there. Now make sure you use it!

The addition of the room will have enhanced the value of your home. The cost of the table, spread out over its useful life, isn't actually all that much.

Sorry to sound like an accountant, again!
          王可

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Really nice set of pics of the whole build.
            Been very warm just lately, how is the room doing, i can see a few windows open, but would it be ok to play in ?? my conservatory regularly reaches 114 degrees !!!
            And this is where now using the room for its intended purpose will determine a few things like blinds, how many and where etc. Yesterday was warmish but with doors and windows open, comfortable. Only issue is insects flying in, they seemed to take a liking to the room! So some insect screens over the doors externally would be good. Blinds on the largest window/door wall to minimize shadows.
            The A/C will be used to cool the room if we need to - if it's that warm and sunny, the A/C will be powered by the solar panels so should be cost neutral. Actually leaving the dining room doors open during the day lets any heat build up dissipate through the rest of the house if we didn't want the A/C on.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
              Funny I was just showing my wife the photos from earlier today and in comes the finish product. Looks great. Very little sleep this weekend it's Snooker time. You can always take a quick nap on the couch in the window providing your wife is not using it to some knitting....LOL
              Wife and MIL on the couch all last night while me and my FIL played a few frames. They haven't got their heads round the 'man cave' concept quite yet....TV got turned over from footy to some other crap so ground rules will need establishing!

Lads from golf club are round tonight post curry- they have no clue about the whole build - so should be a long, fun night in there.

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                I am really pleased for you. I hope you have many, many happy times in there. Now make sure you use it!

The addition of the room will have enhanced the value of your home. The cost of the table, spread out over its useful life, isn't actually all that much.

Sorry to sound like an accountant, again!
                Thanks for your kind comments, I can envisage many happy hours spent in there and yes, the table cost factored over the years of use will actually be cheap entertainment.

Both the orangery co. and the table fitters echoed your feelings about the increased home value - not that I plan on moving now! But a better return than say a basement and the room doesn't necessarily need to be for snooker if we ever did sell.

Now, if I can just get the kids off the table - tears at tea time coz they had to stop playing!!!

Comment

a lovely room there and it looks great with the table now
                  the table look very nice, recently refurbed?
                  Is it a Riley? not sure of model?
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    a lovely room there and it looks great with the table now
                    the table look very nice, recently refurbed?
                    Is it a Riley? not sure of model?
                    Thrilled with the table - it was refurbed, yes, saw it a couple of weeks ago stripped to the bare mahogany but love the leg shape, was what I wanted in terms of looking right in the room without being too contemporary with nice plain end and side rails too and rests that hang 'high'.
                    We agreed on a more brown than red shade so lighter than mahogany and it's come out as medium mahogany / rosewood.

The cushion rails and legs, end and side panels all look brand new, even though theyr'e not. I forwarded an image of the table when it was for sale to a local company to see if they had anything similar and apparently they had the same table, stating it was a Riley Imperial. They offered me the same table for the same price for the same delivery date, even though the one I got was 100+ miles away and the local co. is in the town where I work.....thanks for nowt!!
                    More than that, I don't really know much more but yesterday, stamped on the leg tops was 1983 and 32 so I'm guessing it was a 1983 made table!

Comment

cheers I don't think it is an Imperial, the legs are right but the knee boards don't have the shallow arch piece that Imperials have.
                      I do think it is a Riley but not sure of the model - but this type is at the top of my list for when I get the potting shed project going
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

yep, I've seen Oak Imperials and the arches aren't something that floats my boat....would love to know a bit more about my table's history etc.
                        Dean, get the project going, you won't regret it, I've yet to wipe the smile off my face since yesterday!!!

Comment

Awesome thread Thommo, hope it's everything you hoped for, thanks for sharing the build with us.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

The cushions are the same as a Riley Regis which is the small thin turned leg version of this table . their main fault is low weight cushions , the wood is very lightweight when you compare them to other tables .
                            it maybe they are made from Philippine Mahogany which is really called toona calantas and is really not a mahogany but it is used to mimic it in looks and was used by Riley in the 1980s .

you could order them with the heavy mahogany wood cushions with slide in panels instead of the screw on ones like yours , and I have seen square legged versions also advertised as Riley Regis as in this link

http://www.bandasnookerandpool.co.uk...able-114-p.asp

I and other fitters refer to this table as a Riley club as it was the entry model that clubs used to buy to fill in the standard multi table area and then had a turned leg table for the match table with steel cushions on

this table is a basic none fussed designed square leg , and may I say there are benefits to having a square leg

No dust traps unlike turned legs

They do not look overpowering and fit in with modern looking houses or new builds like in this case

and because you are not removing wood to turn the leg , the leg wood is more stable .

I would have liked to see double bolted legs in all tables but in the 1980s they did cut back on these to keep costs low,

keep a check on the leg bolts and tighten them after 6 months as the wood may shrink and the frame may creak or move a little when leaned on , the same with the cushions bolts too remove the screw on panels and nip the bolts up after 6 months to maintain bounce .

Geoff
                            Last edited by Geoff Large; 27 June 2014, 06:35 PM.
                            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Geoff, appreciated. I will definitely follow your advice and tweak the bolts every now and again, thanks, would never have thought of that. Yes, the table design fits the room perfectly, looks made for it.

Interestingly, that company was the one I got in touch with.......their shop is 5 minutes from my work. I went in one lunchtime, "I'd like to buy a full size table please", OK, owner not here at the mo, I'll forward your details on to him.
                              10 days later, I get a call, "next time I'm at our unit I'll let you know and you can come look at some tables". Not what I was hoping for, if that was me I'd be like "when is best for you to come down Sir". Never did get any further on that one and the table in the images looks to be dead square legs and not in great shape either.....shame as I would have liked to have supported a local business but very happy with the table and the service I got from Gary Markham at the Billiards Barn.
                              After a late night playing yesterday, the cushions aren't super bouncy so I won't be getting a Joe Johnson big bounce any time soon I don't think but the speed of the 6811T seems to make up for it, even after only a few brushes and 2 irons it's way quicker and more responsive than anything I've ever played on up to now.
                              My previous all time best break was 36 in a league match and last night I knocked 4 reds, 4 blacks in for 32 so well pleased with my efforts so far!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                                Awesome thread Thommo, hope it's everything you hoped for, thanks for sharing the build with us.
                                Been a little overwhelmed by the forum members generous and kind comments like yours TBH. It's been a lifelong dream so it's been fantastic to share it with like minded people who appreciate how awesome it is to be getting a snooker room. Feel humbled to be actually able to achieve it.
                                Mind you, the look on my mates faces last night (who had no idea at all it was being built) was absolutely priceless, they were utterly gobsmacked, no wonder it was 2am before they crawled home!

Comment

Working...
                                X