body anatomy relation to cueing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

For me, simple answer is no, not when your talking small fractions. There’s the obvious missing a easy straight pot, but you don’t feel it, you just notice because you missed an easy shot.... But again this comes back to concentration and technique, did I miss because I wasn’t concentrating or did I not cue it straight? We all miss easy shots regularly, probably mostly down to concentration, or not concentrating on the basic pre-shot routine. Chris Henry’s training balls look interesting if your looking for some help with straight cueing as they magnify very small flaws and highlight where you might be striking the cue ball incorrectly. Expensive though!

Can I ask how long you have been playing? What level would you say you are at? How old are you? How tall? What length cue etc??
    so if we talk about only the backswing,maybe you will feel it in your chest if it goes slightly online?

i'm 26 now i've been playing for about 10 years,i'm about 5'10,don't remember exactly the cue length.

yesterday i was practicing my stroke on the kitchen table in front of the mirror and i noticed that my elbow starts drifting outside of the line of aim slowly as i'm stroking back and forth,maybe it happens as i'm playing as well without me noticing,i've had my elbow outside of the line for years and it's probably difficult to cure after all these years and maybe this is what causes my cue to move side to side slightly.
    Last edited by kflps; 3 July 2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

My elbow hangs out slightly also, everyone is different, I find if I consciously twist my chest away from the table slightly this tends to cure this, after an hour or two as you start to get tired it’s harder to maintain a stance if it forced so I will naturally drift back to the elbow sticking out...

I don’t worry too much about the feathers and slight side to side motion, you need to just make an effort to keep pushing the cue through the cue ball this helps keep the cue straight, try not to jab at it or the sudden stop motion sends the cue and cue ball all over the show!

Steve Barton has some useful cue action based videos that might be worth a watch??
      Last edited by Danger Steve; 3 July 2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

I wouldn't as my chin doesn't touch the cue because I'm tall and wear specs so getting down that low would mean looking over the top of my lenses and being able to see sod all. Also I don't like to feel anything dragging on the cue so it's also nowhere near my chest. Once again physique dictating technique, there's no one size fits all in this game, we all do it slightly differently. These are the photos I sent to snookerspex for a perspective on a correct fitment for my glasses, eye dominance and angle of lenses when down in the stance. You can see I sight with my left eye, right elbow not in line but shoulder is so I must not drop the upper arm from the shoulder, straight bridge arm, chin off the cue, you can't see my cue arm from the side (my mate not a good photographer) but it's about two inches behind the vertical, using a sixty two inch cue with twelves inches of cue over my thumb.
        Now I would say my cue fits my physique perfectly and my stance isn't in any way cramped, apart from the fact that arthritis in my neck, back and left hip due to a motorbike accident years ago is now starting to have an effect and I am starting to play with both legs bent now as I can't hold my head up as straight as I used to. I'm sixty two now and things will only get worse for me, photos are two years ago.

https://ibb.co/album/3fNs9r
        Your back arm is vertical or maybe even in front of vertical, not behind as you said you played.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Your back arm is vertical or maybe even in front of vertical, not behind as you said you played.
          My back arm isn't visible in the side on photo, and you can't tell with the front view so how do you come to that conclusion ?
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

My back arm isn't visible in the side on photo, and you can't tell with the front view so how do you come to that conclusion ?
            Your grip is visible, if you draw a line straight up from the front of your grip, you can easily see where your hand is and its obvious that from its position you are in a vertical even slightly in front of vertical position.

Comment

Your grip is visible, if you draw a line straight up from the front of your grip, you can easily see where your hand is and its obvious that from its position you are in a vertical even slightly in front of vertical position.
              Agree it looks like that but maybe he’s got his wrist slightly twisted?

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                Agree it looks like that but maybe he’s got his wrist slightly twisted?
                Could be, some players have a forward cocked wrist.

Comment

Maybe he has BiG hAnDS

Comment

Could be, some players have a forward cocked wrist.
                    I do yes.

IMG_0093.JPG
                    Last edited by vmax; 5 July 2020, 09:26 AM.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I do yes.

IMG_0093.JPG
                      Mystery solved
                      Thats photo looks great in black and white.

Comment

Wearing a glove by the looks of it??

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                          Wearing a glove by the looks of it??
                          Been doing so for years, friction free cueing at all times, recomend it greatly.

Comment

Mystery solved
                            Thats photo looks great in black and white.
                            When I was born the world was in monochrome a still from a video I made a couple of years ago to check my action, only way the photo would upload, too many bytes in colour despite cropping it.

Comment

so i was practicing the last few days and i think i found the majority of my problem.i don't place the cue accurately on the line of aim.of course,this isn't something new as i knew i was doing this before but couldn't find a way to stop it.micro-adjustments of the cue when down on the shot don't usually work for me.

so when practicing i was focusing hard on keeping my head on the line as i approach the shot and keep it there as i get down on it,thinking that my hands will follow my eyes and they will place the cue exactly on the line and for a while it worked but after a while i started breaking down and once again started placing the cue across the line on most shots causing many missed pots.

i found it imperative that i needed to stand well back behind the line,walk into the shot AND point the cue on the shot line and align it on the line of aim from the standing position as i'm getting down on the shot.i saw an improvement in my potting but still i had issues because i think at the last drop when my bridge touches the felt as i'm getting down,i'm pushing the cue slightly offline,probably because i take the cue to the body and not the other way around but i could be doing this because i instinctively know i have placed the cue slightly across the line and try to auto-correct it,who knows.

also i'm wondering,if i want to play a shot with side spin,when aligning the cue from the standing position,should i try to align the cue to the left or right part of the cue ball depending on what spin i want to use or point the cue center ball like all the other shots?
                              Last edited by kflps; 15 July 2020, 12:31 AM.

Comment

You should always move the cue to whatever side you want to play, don't move your bridge hand it will cause your cue to go off aim
                                Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Working...
                                X