UK Championship 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

He's 30 now, so sadly I can't see it ever happening. Zhao at 24 has a better head on his shoulders. It's painful to watch because he seems a lovely guy Jack with enormous talent, my biggest fear wil be him never winning anything of consequence.
    david gilbert got relegated and regained his place on tour just around or before he turned 30 , PatBlock can you provide me with some confusion emoji please mate , ta.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Starsky;n1016045

It doesn’t help him that Gilbert has now won something now . Having the reputation of being the best player on the tour not to win a ranking event must add extra pressure ..
      [/QUOTE]

Yeh, but he is so die hard all or nothing in his approach there was a few times tonight where decent club players would have chosen better shots to play than he did. Yes I'm annoyed with him for throwing it down the drain knowing he's got more talent in his little finger than I've got in my whole body. It was painful for me to watch him hand it over on a plate tonight after starting strongly with Zhao looking all at sea.

I said it the other day for Wilson too, at their age their time is now aged 30 the young pack will eat them alive in a year or two.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Yeh, but he is so die hard all or nothing in his approach there was a few times tonight where decent club players would have chosen better shots to play than he did. Yes I'm annoyed with him for throwing it down the drain knowing he's got more talent in his little finger than I've got in my whole body. It was painful for me to watch him hand it over on a plate tonight after starting strongly with Zhao looking all at sea.

I said it the other day for Wilson too, at their age their time is now aged 30 the young pack will eat them alive in a year or two.
        Bingham was much older before he really started showing his potential.
        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• When was the last time there were a tripple crown semifinal without former tripple crown winners.? Has it happened in the modern era?
          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rane View Post
            When was the last time there were a tripple crown semifinal without former tripple crown winners.? Has it happened in the modern era?
            2004 UK Championship.

Comment

• Zhao to win tournament outright , the Chinese invasion is gathering strength

Comment

• It was mentioned in commentary tonight that no player born in the 90s has won the World Championship, the UK Championship, or the Masters. I find that statistic to be incredible. Yan Bingtao has won the Masters, so it seems like an entire generation has been skipped...

Comment

• Started off watching Hawkins v Hicks but it was so poor I switched to Lisowski v Zhao. Neither match had the standard of the afternoon matches, shame that Ronnie and Kyren had to meet as that would have been a great final. Who has the edge of the four remaining is hard to pin down, I'm hoping for a Zhao v Luca final. otherwise I just might give it a miss.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                    It was mentioned in commentary tonight that no player born in the 90s has won the World Championship, the UK Championship, or the Masters. I find that statistic to be incredible. Yan Bingtao has won the Masters, so it seems like an entire generation has been skipped...
                    That is a mad stat, a reflection I guess of the strength of the players before and the lack of players taking up the game after the boom years.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                      It was mentioned in commentary tonight that no player born in the 90s has won the World Championship, the UK Championship, or the Masters. I find that statistic to be incredible. Yan Bingtao has won the Masters, so it seems like an entire generation has been skipped...

That is actually quite remarkable. But the 90s and subsequently the 00s spoiled a lot of things so I shouldn't be too suprised^^
                      "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• It's indeed a highly interesting stat. And if I look at the players born in the 90s one aside from Kyren Wilson jumps out to me as somebody, where I'm pretty sure he will win one of those tournaments at some point. And at this tournament only Barry Hawkins can prevent this series from finally coming to an end.
                        Another factor that contributed to this is certainly that the old guys from the 70s were still so successful and also players from the 80s seem highly superior. But players zenith in Snooker has shifted to older years. CueCrafty posted that players like Wilson are 30 already so they have to win now. But I don't see this as a necessity. I think in today's game players might just enter their prime in their late 20s and have time until they get 40 at least, if they keep their level. True is you never know if a new powerful generation will come along.
                        Still the 90s generation really seems a bit lost and it might also bee that sadly during the last two decades less young players were attracted to play snooker and therefore less talents make it to the top, while the likes of Higgins, O'Sullivan, Selby and Trump really are playing at such a high level that it just takes time to compete against them.

It might interest you that tennis was/is in a really similar state with one extraordinary generation consisting mainly of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic dominating so much and due to better medical assistance and the nowadays far superior methods of keeping a body fit it took tennis players of the 90s quite long to finally win the first grand slam. It didn't happen before the 2020 US Open, when Dominic Thiem was the first 90s born player to make it happen and now their tally is at two thanks to Daniil Medvedev's win at this years US Open. And also here some say that this generation has to win now, cause if Carlos Alcaraz and maybe Jannik Sinner fulfill their potential their window could close pretty soon.

But I think they might have a few years and the same could be true for Snooker. As of now in Snooker I don't think the 2000s generation is the problem, but still the 80s with especially Trump (who was born in 1989 of course), but maybe also Selby and Robertson still having a few more good years. As stated before I just think today it takes time and maybe guys like Zhou Yuelong or Zhao Xintong or maybe even Anthony McGill (or somebody else) will make a big step in quality.
                        Last edited by JimMalone; 4 December 2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Well I hope everyone is right about the age thing. I'm just not sure about Jack, something is definitely wrong in the attic!!
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Shame about Lisowski ,all that talent and no substance ,Trump was like that years ago but he learnt , but Jack can't see to grab the concept of serious match play .I don't see McGill doing much , a bit Like Hawkins , he's there abouts and might win the odd event if certain players get knocked out .

Comment

Well I hope everyone is right about the age thing. I'm just not sure about Jack, something is definitely wrong in the attic!!
                              I think he wants to play his way and no way atm. He needs somebody like Reardon etc to approach him and tighten his game up. It’s the same with his mental game as well.
                              At that level any advantages you can gain will help.
                              I don’t think age is an issue these days but the longer he doesn’t win something the more it’s going to affect his mental state.

I really hope he can progress as I love to watch him when his is on it but as you say he has a big implode button

Comment

• Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

I think he wants to play his way and no way atm. He needs somebody like Reardon etc to approach him and tighten his game up. It’s the same with his mental game as well.
                                At that level any advantages you can gain will help.
                                I don’t think age is an issue these days but the longer he doesn’t win something the more it’s going to affect his mental state.

I really hope he can progress as I love to watch him when his is on it but as you say he has a big implode button
                                This. He really needs somebody to lift his tactical game and shot selection - the way Trump did a few years ago. Also to me Lisowski sometimes seems almost even too nice to win. Therefore he lacks the killer instinct.

A good thing is that obviously Lisowski knows that he was to work in this departments. I found it highly interesting that before this UK Championship he called Peter Ebdon and spoke with him for "a few hours" as he said. And he thought that Peter gave him some very good advice. Now I'm not sure if Ebdon is the right one, cause he was a very unique player and guy, but he sure has incredibly knowledge about tactical and mental aspects of snooker.

Comment

Working...
                                X