Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion on Ronnie declining the 147?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mikeyd100 View Post
    Wow, he had a lot of reverse side on that ball eh lol.
    Indeed Wizardry!

    Comment


    • Here's what the man himself has to say about it anyway : Loooooooooooool

      CbQ7W-kXEAAccio.jpg

      Image taken from https://twitter.com/search?f=images&...ie%20osullivan
      Last edited by mikeyd100; 16 February 2016, 10:17 AM.

      Comment


      • In my opinion, whether he scored a 146 or a 147 is a bit of a non-issue. In fact, the fans in attendance saw something a lot more rare than a 147, so they can console themselves with that.

        However, I feel Ronnie's 'only £10k' came across as being somewhat insensitive. There's a lot of people out there who struggle to get by in life, despite breaking their back every day. And Ronnie is complaining about getting a bonus of £10,000 on top of his tournament earnings for what would've amounted for a few seconds of work. It's kind of ill-considered, especially in a sport that struggled to bring in sponsors for so many years.

        It's brought in a lot of publicity for the game though, albeit slightly negative publicity. What he should've done is score a 146 deliberately, then stood up at the press conference and said; "I did that because this tournament doesn't get enough coverage in the press unless I do something controversial. Hopefully this act will make the dopey twats in the sports pages actually give snooker some attention, for once."

        I'd have applauded that. Newspapers love making a big deal out of Ronnie's opinion, so it'd still brought in massive publicity. Chuckling away and going; "I want more money" makes him look greedy. "Snooker player sacrifices 10 grand to promote his sport" would make a much better headline.

        I guess it all comes down to whether Ronnie did it to promote the sport, or was he legitimately thinking that £10k wasn't enough of a bonus for all of ten minutes work.

        Comment


        • [QUOTE=SnookerFan;875439
          I guess it all comes down to whether Ronnie did it to promote the sport, or was he legitimately thinking that £10k wasn't enough of a bonus for all of ten minutes work.[/QUOTE]

          ronnie only thinks about ronnie and nobody else. so what do you think?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by andy carson View Post
            ronnie only thinks about ronnie and nobody else. so what do you think?
            Nobody can truly knows what goes on in another person's head. Though if you're asking me what I believe, I do think we give Ronnie too much credit for thinking in advance about the consequences of opening his mouth.

            Comment


            • Ronnie O Sullivan owes the fans or the paying public absolutely sweet FA!

              He is at the top of the sport through his own work and determination.

              The self righteousness that people display over things like this is exactly what's wrong with society. Everyone thinks they're entitled to something.

              It's like people who say 'I have the right to an opinion' but what they really mean is 'you are obliged to listen to my opinion' it's nonsense!

              ROS is a fantastic snooker player. But we all know he is a sub par ambassador for the game so who really cares what he does?

              If you feel entitled to see a maximum then go and put the hours in on the table and make one for yourself. ROS owes the fans absolutely nothing.

              Comment


              • What about Barry Hearn then...

                First he pubicly criticizes ROS on Twitter (which in my book was a good thing!).

                Today he says ROS is 'almost bigger than snooker'. I can't believe a COB says things like this. It's like saying Messi is almost bigger than football.

                I mean how can anyone justify saying things like this in respect to all the other snooker/football players...how disrespectful can you be/get.

                Completely baffles me!

                Comment


                • Yes pottr, agree completely. I though it was a fantastic break, and a 146 is rarer than a 147.

                  When you see a premier league footballer who makes £300,00 a week miss a penalty then you have tv sport in it's true perspective.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by pottr View Post
                    Ronnie O Sullivan owes the fans or the paying public absolutely sweet FA!

                    He is at the top of the sport through his own work and determination.

                    The self righteousness that people display over things like this is exactly what's wrong with society. Everyone thinks they're entitled to something.

                    It's like people who say 'I have the right to an opinion' but what they really mean is 'you are obliged to listen to my opinion' it's nonsense!

                    ROS is a fantastic snooker player. But we all know he is a sub par ambassador for the game so who really cares what he does?

                    If you feel entitled to see a maximum then go and put the hours in on the table and make one for yourself. ROS owes the fans absolutely nothing.
                    Barcelona fans were fuming when Messi passed his penalty to Suarez rather than scoring himself. All those paying fans who wanted to see Messi score his penalty were denied that right. Messi is an absolute idiot, how dare he do that.

                    This is sport, people. Where the unexpected happens. Sport is also a career to sports men and women, they can go about earning their wages in whichever way they see fit.

                    From Ronnie's perspective the amount of coverage/publicity he's received since turning down this 147 is probably equal or greater than what he'd of received had he made it. This publicity will certainly put bums on seats at his next exhibition where idiots are willing to shell out £500 a frame to play against him. The guy is paid 10k or there abouts to put on an exhibition, that's why 10k to make a max in a professional event really doesn't matter to him.
                    "just tap it in"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by daffie View Post
                      Should take some lessons from Messi then

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_onlHw8zcuU
                      No wonder Ronnie is pissed off when he sees something like this. What's the difference?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by daffie View Post
                        What about Barry Hearn then...

                        First he pubicly criticizes ROS on Twitter (which in my book was a good thing!).

                        Today he says ROS is 'almost bigger than snooker'. I can't believe a COB says things like this. It's like saying Messi is almost bigger than football.

                        I mean how can anyone justify saying things like this in respect to all the other snooker/football players...how disrespectful can you be/get.

                        Completely baffles me!
                        Don't underestimate Barry Hearn ... secretly he is rubbing his hands with glee, buzzing off the media attention it is all getting.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                          Don't underestimate Barry Hearn ... secretly he is rubbing his hands with glee, buzzing off the media attention it is all getting.
                          Barry Hearn is an incredibly clever bloke, if he publicly slags Ronnie off the likelihood is he's pre warned Ronnie and it's a publicity stunt.
                          "just tap it in"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                            Don't underestimate Barry Hearn ... secretly he is rubbing his hands with glee, buzzing off the media attention it is all getting.
                            Oh I know. Point I was making is...how can the chairman of WPBSA make a statement like that? How can you come out and say one player is almost bigger than the entire sport? I mean, this strikes me as a completely disrespectful statement, especially in regards to all the other players.

                            But maybe it's just me...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              No wonder Ronnie is pissed off when he sees something like this. What's the difference?
                              The difference is...Messi knows his angles

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                                No wonder Ronnie is pissed off when he sees something like this. What's the difference?
                                People keep mentioning this on Snooker Forums. I can't watch that link at work.

                                What did he do, pass it to a different player to score? Why do he do it? Was it based on a bonus the scorer of the penalty gets?

                                I know I'm being daft, I just wonder why it's comparable to this.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X