2016 China Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
    Just had another look... 2.08.37 as well.
    look like a laminate cue - Niche?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
      what happened? tv table?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        The 3rd arrow looks very slightly out to me so not sure re laminate.
        ( God I'm sounding like a complete nerd haha ).

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Nah no way on Earth is that a laminate cue

Comment

A very good day of snooker today. Trump's performance to beat an in-form Fu 5-1 was tremendous, as was the exchange of big breaks between Higgins and Gilbert.

The Walden-Tian match wasn't as high quality, but it was certainly exciting. A shame Tian bottled it in the end... He has still never reached a major quarter-final, even though he looked set to have a pretty good career at one point. This is a player who thrashed Ryan Day 9-3 in the final of the Beijing International Challenge six years ago, then went missing for several years when he should have pushed up the rankings. Today was a missed chance for him, but at least he is making some progress now. It's never too late. :smile:

Comment

It should be another good day tomorrow. We have quite a few underdogs in the quarter-finals this time, but I suspect none of them will get through to the semi-finals.

The Walden-Bingham match is the only one featuring two top players. Both are starting to play their best snooker of the season in recent weeks, so it should be a good game. I will try to watch it live in the morning, or at least watch the recording in full before the afternoon match starts. It could go either way, but I would give Bingham a slight edge.

Trump has a habit of putting in a poor performance once he becomes the tournament favourite, but I have the feeling it won't happen this time. King won 5-0 today, but the frame scores indicate it was a closer match than it looks, with three frames decided on pink or black. It also seems to have been fairly scrappy, judging by the absence of big breaks. If Trump scores like he did today, I don't think King will have any answer for him.

Higgins also impressed today, and he is pretty immune to being beaten by underdogs at the business end of tournaments. It will be Noppon Saengkham's first appearance in a major quarter-final, and he is up against probably the most experienced player on the tour, so it would be a pleasant surprise if he made a match of it.

Maguire really took advantage of the easy draw this week and got himself on the verge of getting into the top16 ahead of the World Championship. He just needs one more win. A focused and concentrated Maguire is always tough to beat, although stats show that Burden is scoring a lot better than him this week. I think this is the match where the underdog possibly has the best chance. :smile:

Comment

Remember a few years ago when some were suggesting China was going to be the new home of snooker? Let's hope not, eh? I'm still waiting to see any evidence of its supposed popularity over there.
                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                  Remember a few years ago when some were suggesting China was going to be the new home of snooker? Let's hope not, eh? I'm still waiting to see any evidence of its supposed popularity over there.
                  I know someone who went to Beijing recently and he stated there were a lot of Snooker halls there, packed out and good set ups.
                  However the crowds in the tournaments just arent there.

Comment

I know someone who went to Beijing recently and he stated there were a lot of Snooker halls there, packed out and good set ups.
                    However the crowds in the tournaments just arent there.
                    I once heard a theory that it was the extortionate price of tickets over there, but if that's the case someone should be doing something about it because I truly believe such poor attendances are detrimental to the game.

Says the man who's never been to a live match in his life.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I once heard a theory that it was the extortionate price of tickets over there, but if that's the case someone should be doing something about it because I truly believe such poor attendances are detrimental to the game.

Says the man who's never been to a live match in his life.
                      It could be an explanation to the pitiful attendances then. We need some researchers on that one.

Haha, nothing wrong with being an armchair supporter

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                        It should be another good day tomorrow. We have quite a few underdogs in the quarter-finals this time, but I suspect none of them will get through to the semi-finals.

The Walden-Bingham match is the only one featuring two top players. Both are starting to play their best snooker of the season in recent weeks, so it should be a good game. I will try to watch it live in the morning, or at least watch the recording in full before the afternoon match starts. It could go either way, but I would give Bingham a slight edge.

Trump has a habit of putting in a poor performance once he becomes the tournament favourite, but I have the feeling it won't happen this time. King won 5-0 today, but the frame scores indicate it was a closer match than it looks, with three frames decided on pink or black. It also seems to have been fairly scrappy, judging by the absence of big breaks. If Trump scores like he did today, I don't think King will have any answer for him.

Higgins also impressed today, and he is pretty immune to being beaten by underdogs at the business end of tournaments. It will be Noppon Saengkham's first appearance in a major quarter-final, and he is up against probably the most experienced player on the tour, so it would be a pleasant surprise if he made a match of it.

Maguire really took advantage of the easy draw this week and got himself on the verge of getting into the top16 ahead of the World Championship. He just needs one more win. A focused and concentrated Maguire is always tough to beat, although stats show that Burden is scoring a lot better than him this week. I think this is the match where the underdog possibly has the best chance. :smile:
                        Most experienced player has to be Jimmy White ;-) But Higgins is the most experienced who still are able to compete at highest level together with O´Sullivan.
                        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

What was mark kings tweets about?

Comment

Haha, nothing wrong with being an armchair supporter
                            Maybes, but it does make me a wee bit hypocritical

Elsewhere, I think the snooker nickname creators should reconsider Bingham's. Maybe 'Stuart woe-is-me Bingham' would suit him better. He looks a beaten man during his walk-ons these days, let alone during the match. If I owned a bookies I would be letting punters name their own price for him retaining his WC crown in April.
                            Last edited by Billy; 1 April 2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Maybes, but it does make me a wee bit hypocritical

Elsewhere, I think the snooker nickname creators should reconsider Bingham's. Maybe 'Stuart woe-is-me Bingham' would suit him better. He looks a beaten man when he walks out for his matches these days. If I owned a bookies I would be letting punters name their own price for him retaining his WC crown in April.
                              Nah mate, I wouldnt say so
                              He can be like that yeah, he is showing a glint of form though recently - cant see him bagging the WC again though.

Comment

Nah mate, I wouldnt say so
                                He can be like that yeah, he is showing a glint of form though recently - cant see him bagging the WC again though.
                                Yeah, maybe a tad unfair, but he does seems to ooze a negativity.

Turning into a day of rants for me this morning, and here's another: Higgins is really starting to get on me pecks with his demands to the ref of "Clean the White."

Say please you rude man, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X