2017 Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by s.h442 View Post
    Well done to Ronnie winning 7 Masters titles. He didn't play great but won which is what counts. It will be fascinating to see how he does at the World Championship.
    I can see him either upping his game and reaching the final (50-50 whether he wins or not depending on who he is up against) or struggling with the longer games and crashing out on the 2nd round. But at least he seems to be enjoying the game mostly regardless of his performances at the moment.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      My favorite player and the legend ROS, takes it. That makes me happy to see him taking photo's with JW.
      What can I say, he's a genius. Great respect for his sportmnship, his game , his talent , and his admiration and respect for other players.

In the term of consistency, Marco Fu was the player of this tournament, imo.
      I was realy impressed by his performance. and if he keeps playing like that, it would'nt surprises me to see him in the final of WSC.

Great tournament. enjoyed watching it .
      Here here! 7 masters titles is an amazing sporting achievement! Well done Ronnie, a feat befitting you're talent.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Gods that was tense, but utterly wonderful - and Ronnie Sr makes an appearance for the first time in my snooker fan career! I've not checked my facts completely, but I think this was a festival of first for Ron:
        First winner of the Paul Hunter Trophy.
        First to defend in 15 years, and first since Hunter.
        First to 12 finals(Hendry seems to be next with 9)
        First to 7 titles.

Comment

• Bitten his tip of straight after potting the pink. Was talking to Joe and shaking his hand with the tip in his mouth. What a monkey :-)

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
            They're almost as annoying as O'Sullivan's current habit of fidgeting on the shot. Why does he move so much? Why is he up and down on the shot so often? Why does he change his mind on what to play half way through the shot? Why does he gurn like a gargoyle every time he misses?

There are a number of things that irritate me about the modern game, and it's all manufactured. First off they should do away with the TV monitors that all the imbeciles in the audience find so amazing when they see themselves. The audience play far too big a part in modern snooker coverage.
            Youre joking right? Ronnie is one of the most still and technical players in the game. His infamous elbow drop is what allows him to keep his head and body so still when he strikes...hardly any movement at all.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sealer View Post
              Bitten his tip of straight after potting the pink. Was talking to Joe and shaking his hand with the tip in his mouth. What a monkey :-)
              Yes that's right. I thought he threw it away before speaking to Perry. Didn't his mum teach him some manners? Don't talk with your mouth full, it's rude!
              Last edited by ken147; 23 January 2017, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                Youre joking right? Ronnie is one of the most still and technical players in the game. His infamous elbow drop is what allows him to keep his head and body so still when he strikes...hardly any movement at all.
                not been still of late - and lifting the back of the cue too high - still if he can start winning with his B game no trophy is safe!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                  not been still of late - and lifting the back of the cue too high - still if he can start winning with his B game no trophy is safe!
                  I'd say that was his C game - his B game won him the champion of champions and a fifth world title!

Comment

• I guess this final won't really be remembered as a classic...

The standard of play was mediocre for most of the match, particularly in the first four frames tonight. Perry only played well when the pressure was off, while O'Sullivan never really found anything close to his best form. It was a good tournament all in all, particularly the 1st round and the semi-finals, it's just a shame it ended on a fairly low note. I guess O'Sullivan-Fu would have made for a better final, but it can't be helped when the draw puts the two best players in the same half.

It's nice for O'Sullivan to finally get some satisfaction after reaching four finals this season. He has been quite consistent for a while now, and tonight showed that he still knows how to win the big titles, even when he is somewhat out of sorts. He will remain a strong contender in any tournament this season, including of course the World Championship. As for Perry, it was another final where he could have done a little more, but he can be forgiven for being a little nervous today. I'm sure he will contest a few more big finals if he keeps this form up, and we've seen in Belfast this season that's it's never too late to win one... :smile:

So, the German Masters next... Not one of my favourite tournaments unfortunately, mainly because of the awful TV coverage, but it's one of only three tournaments with matches of at least medium length still remaining this season, so we can't be too picky. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                      I guess this final won't really be remembered as a classic...
                      In terms of quality no, but in terms of the twists and turns it was utterly gripping!

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                        I'd say that was his C game - his B game won him the champion of champions and a fifth world title!
                        The point still stands - he was nowhere near his A game and still won - beating Fu was impressive imho, I thought he had no chance having fluked past Liang Wembo and used two years worth of luck against beaker.
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

In terms of quality no, but in terms of the twists and turns it was utterly gripping!
                          It was alright, especially when Perry made those two big breaks to get back to 8-6. It gave me hope that it could still be a late night finish. But to be honest, it seemed inevitable that O'Sullivan would win as soon as he got to 6-4... :smile:

Comment

Twists and turns, the only twist was perry going 4-1 up and him bottling it. Can't disguise the match for anything else than a let down...sad but true

Comment

• Wow, I missed Ronnie Snr - was he the one standing next to Paul Hunter's dad at the end? Never seen him at an event before either. Which other tournaments has he attended? If he's been free for several years now you'd think he'd be at every major event watching, surely?

From what I was told, Ronnie drops his elbow for extra follow-through going through the cue ball, not to prevent his head from moving(?)

It was fantastic to see him really want this year's Masters title and totally up for it. I firmly believe if he really wants it and is 100% motivated, he can match Hendry's 7 World crowns...

He seems to have a love-affair with the Welsh Open too and always performs well there
                              Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

• I wanted Joe Perry to win the whole thing. What a story that would be.
                                But title for Ronnie was never in doubt when he beat Robertson, and players who have recently beaten him in various finals were already out.
                                Beating Ronnie in earlier rounds vs beating him in finals...completely different thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X