No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we be going on about this black for as long as "did the ball cross the line in 66"? The black definitely moved, I saw it, the ref didn't and neither did some other people.

Comment

• Originally Posted by BigDazUK View Post
      Will we be going on about this black for as long as "did the ball cross the line in 66"? The black definitely moved, I saw it, the ref didn't and neither did some other people.
      How come all the different camera angles didn't pick it up then ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        One of them did, we only needed one angle to see it hit. Fortunately it didn't change the outcome.

Comment

• Originally Posted by screw-back View Post
          Your response wasn't tosh. It's the assessor's reason that is.
          Lol. And you know better than the assessors who have reffed 10 World Finals between them do you? Ok.

Comment

It picked it. It is just so little that you cannot see it:-)

Comment

• I am missing the snooker so much, I am already planning next year's trips. Already doing Manchester. Am thinking York also. Possibly first week, before the TV bit starts.

Comment

That never moved
                I don't think the black moved but the white definitely didn't stop naturally, it came to a sudden halt and bounced backwards, there was definite contact. A white won't move backwards once it has come to rest. Tough for the referee to call, but it was a wrong decision. Fortunately it didn't affect the outcome of the match. Edit: Unless you are playing on a bobbly cloth which they aren't.
                Last edited by VillaGuy; 3 May 2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                  I don't think the black moved but the white definitely didn't stop naturally,
                  So the two balls collided, but the black didn't move at all, whereas the white had enough force to spin backwards? I'm not sure that's within Newton's laws of motion is it?

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                    So the two balls collided, but the black didn't move at all, whereas the white had enough force to spin backwards? I'm not sure that's within Newton's laws of motion is it?
                    It is, when motionless a ball embeds itself into the cloth ever so slightly. This indentation creates a stopping block/force that resonates through the cloth and won't affect the ball in question at all. In a way it is cemented to that position when you are talking about very small forces applied to it. You are looking at physics as though the cue ball and black are in a vacuum, there are other forces at play.

Comment

• Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
                      Already doing Manchester
                      Any ideas when the tickets re going up for sale?

Comment

• Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                        It is, when motionless a ball embeds itself into the cloth ever so slightly. This indentation creates a stopping block/force that resonates through the cloth and won't affect the ball in question at all. In a way it is cemented to that position when you are talking about very small forces applied to it. You are looking at physics as though the cue ball and black are in a vacuum, there are other forces at play.
                        Alternatively, it never reached the black

Comment

• When I first watched I dont think it reached, then there was one other camera angle that I thought I saw the black rock but since with close watching I still think the white did not contact the black. The rock back of the white is probably the white settling into a divot/thread-weave.
                          I do think Jan could have been in a better place to be able to move quickly to see the contact.
                          I don't think "hawk-eye" as in tennis would work as I don't think I can be accurate enough for snooker.
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
                            Ronnie has said a few times that he plays for an area and can't play specific position for the next ball. Very interesting.
                            it was more to do with his thought patterns that alarmed Hendry

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              When I first watched I dont think it reached, then there was one other camera angle that I thought I saw the black rock but since with close watching I still think the white did not contact the black. The rock back of the white is probably the white settling into a divot/thread-weave.
                              I do think Jan could have been in a better place to be able to move quickly to see the contact.
                              I don't think "hawk-eye" as in tennis would work as I don't think I can be accurate enough for snooker.
                              Like others I've watched it many times from different angles. Very difficult to decide. The most important thing at the end of the day however, is that the ref said "Foul seven points" and that's good enough for me. A player can always challenge a decision of course, which Mark did, but Jan said he was sticking with his decision so that was the end of it IMO. Time to move on. Mark Selby is World Champion 2017.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                When I first watched I dont think it reached, then there was one other camera angle that I thought I saw the black rock but since with close watching I still think the white did not contact the black. The rock back of the white is probably the white settling into a divot/thread-weave.
                                Did it hit or not ?

Mark Selby: "It's always me!"

Comment

Working...
                                X