X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    This is what I do -
    this video is how to line up , its totally different thing

ofcourse i know how to line up . but as soon as i am in address position the line is gone unless i move the body or use side to become online, then i can pot the balls ( please red the updated post )

Comment

Pick out the angle and line of the shot when up get down on that line and trust it - don't re aim when down. The angles look different when down - trust the line you pick out when up. Stay true to it

try this exercise pick out the line get down close eyes fire.

Or don't actually put your head on the cue play with it above the cue ala Terry Griffiths - this might help you see the angle better.

Just try it - see if any of it helps.

Ps on that particular shot the line is towards the money side of pocket - aim a bit thinner than you think if hitting plain ball (Or use a trace of helping side) or the cut induced throw will take it to the near jaw ==
      i did not put the head on the cue and i can see all the shots online , but i cannot play this way , bcaz i cannot control my cue action, the chin helps to cue straight, but as soon the chin comes to play i go offline

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
        hy jonny, try to use your dominant eye, thats wat i m doing at the moment and i can see that i am no longer offline except feeling so uncomfortable and my cue action has gone totally rubbish , because the chest and chin position has changed

i was never big fan of dominant eye, and i read terry's posts and im sure he isnt big fan of it too. but this time i had to do something, becaz this is the only point that was or is stopping me from improvement. becaz if i am online in address position then i swear no matter long or short shot i can pot every single ball

try and but please give me / us an update , becaz i wanna know if it has helped you , so that i get more confident myself
        Of course it will feel awkward etc: it may be easier to change the position of your feet to help with the new cue line?

And congrats on "seeing the line"

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          It's especially upsetting as when I shoot the spots I can get 4 lengths of the table and come withing one ball's width to the brown spot however when I try long blues when I miss it's usually to the left of the pocket. Oddly enough when I use the looped bridge it's a lot better which points to a weakness in my bridge hand but that doesn't solve the problem.

I have to video myself
          Keep an eye on your left thumb.....

Comment

I am still convinced most missed pots are caused by poor cue delivery and not bad aiming/sighting. The only time aiming/sighting is at fault is if a player shift his aim while he is down in the address position.

I believe everyone can determine where the cueball has to contact the object ball in order to pot that object ball (a spot directly opposite the widest part of the pocket) however the difficult part is delivering the cueball to that correct spot by straight cueing.
            i understand what you mean and u r right, but my problem is not any of those
            i tried not to put my chin on the cue and i can see all the angles online but as soon as the chin comes to play i am no longer online.
            and yeah its not about cuing or deliver etc, bcaz i am already offline even before starting featuring. ofcourse if you are online and u miss a pot then u should blame ur cue action , delivery etc

for the last 2 days i have tried to move the cue to the right of my chin, wasnt sure how much to move but i did little bit like hendy, and now i can see most of the shots online , however it feels so damn uncomfortable and my cue action totally rubbish now, maybe bcaz the chest position changes too since the chin position has changed

i was never fan of dominant eye, but i had to try this after years of playing this game, bcaz i always had this offline problem, and now no matter what i just wanna improve my game

"who share the secrets and knowledge will only succeed " -ans

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
              Of course it will feel awkward etc: it may be easier to change the position of your feet to help with the new cue line?

And congrats on "seeing the line"
              thank you , i was feeling so good when i could see online, i swear i was trying hard to pot those balls when i was offline. NOW:::::: boom, i get down, and its so easy to pot ball. i tried already to make 147 using lineup but couldnt . dont know, i feel good and feel bad too
              i feel good bcaz i am online, i feel bad bcaz i cannot pull the cue straight as i used to , maybe i pull the cue straight and it feels that way, bcaz the chest position has changed too

i like your idea of changing the feet position now, bcaz once i moved the cue under my right chin, it feels so akward, never thought of it
              thank you and love you

Comment

theres another good player in my club with highest break of 130, here is how he does when in address position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBum...ature=youtu.be

i have seen some other pros like liang , somoone said mark selby moves his head to confirm his dominant eye position while in address position

Comment

theres another good player in my club with highest break of 130, here is how he does when in address position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBum...ature=youtu.be

i have seen some other pros like liang , somoone said mark selby moves his head to confirm his dominant eye position while in address position
                  no he does not, it is a nervous tick/affliction that he had from a young age and has for some time tried to remove/reduce (mentioned in an interview - after he won the World the first time?) from his address, and is now more of a shake of the head instead of the side-to-side movement he used to have.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Try watching these:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTGMMhHfQ6U the beginning is a bit pants, but then he brings out a pencil.....
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF22ZEZmvn0

Comment

I am still convinced most missed pots are caused by poor cue delivery and not bad aiming/sighting. The only time aiming/sighting is at fault is if a player shift his aim while he is down in the address position.

I believe everyone can determine where the cueball has to contact the object ball in order to pot that object ball (a spot directly opposite the widest part of the pocket) however the difficult part is delivering the cueball to that correct spot by straight cueing.
                      I would expand on this and say people struggling to remain focussed on where to deliver the cueball to. "Taking your eyes off the pot" is a very good description of allowing your consciousness to wander from delivering the cueball exactly. It's VERY hard to stop the tiny slips of focus and bang you've missed the pot or position. It's why people can play up and down the spots really well - they're focus on on making the middle of the white i.e. where it touches the cloth, travel over the spot, also on the cloth.

Comment

this video is how to line up , its totally different thing

ofcourse i know how to line up . but as soon as i am in address position the line is gone unless i move the body or use side to become online, then i can pot the balls ( please red the updated post )
                        Look at video from 2.50 mins on - Barry says he is not aiming at a point he is trying to play the red along a line ...I think this is a very important point but hard to explain what he visualises. I know exactly what he means.

There are different ways of visualising - everyone guesses the potting angle - some better than others through experience. I just want to share what I do and its hard to explain - Barry is the only coach that I have heard explain what it is I do myself when visualising the potting angle. The object ball is in my vision but it is not the full picture (bit joking here the OB might as well not be there) because I'm playing the line - visualising the potting angle then playing the line of the shot is the thing that some people do not understand. Let me elaborate

You can not pick out a spot on a OB at distance with any certainty and can not see the contact point on a cut so just look at the OB ball and guess can cause you to steer into the OB and hit thick - you should be looking to send the ball down a line you picked out to make the OB go down the potting line - you should pick out the (other line) of the white ball when stood up and when you are down stay true to this line to make the correct contact on OB and so you should (stay true to the white ball line you picked out to make the potting angle). This is why some players can play sighting the white ball rather than looking at the OB because they are playing/ visualising the line of the shot correctly. Why look at the OB if you cannot see the contact point at distance or on a fine cut? Be aware of the OB but stay true to the line of the white you picked out. Try and visualise the angle you need when standing and dropping into the shot.

You can look at the object ball you can look at the white you can even look at the pocket too if you want and can keep still on the shot but staying true to the line of the white you picked out when standing behind the shot will help improve consistency I think. - Someone said its a game of lines like a computer game. it is. Its a simple thing that people over complicate - play the line. Experience of repeating the process repeating the potting angles working on technique and good old fashioned practice will only help you achieve.

Ps. I am not giving advice on dominant eye thing - just do what feels natural is my advice.

Last edited by Byrom; 23 July 2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Look at video from 3 mins on - Barry says he is not aiming at a point he is trying to play the red along a line ...I think this is a very important point but hard to explain what he visualises. I know exactly what he means.

There are different ways of visualising - everyone guesses the potting angle - some better than others through experience. I just want to share what I do and its hard to explain - Barry is the only coach that I have heard explain what it is I do myself when visualising the potting angle. The object ball is in my vision but it is not the full picture the OB might as well not be there because I'm playing the line - visualising the potting angle then playing the line of the shot is the thing that some people do not understand. Let me elaborate

You can not pick out a spot on a OB at distance with any certainty and can not see the contact point on a cut so just look at the OB ball and guess can cause you to steer into the OB and hit thick - you should be looking to send the ball down a line you picked out to make the OB go down the potting line - you should pick out the (other line) of the white ball when stood up and when you are down stay true to this line to make the correct contact on OB and so you should (stay true to the white ball line you picked out to make the potting angle). This is why some players can play sighting the white ball rather than looking at the OB because they are playing/ visualising the line of the shot correctly. Why look at the OB if you cannot see the contact point at distance or on a fine cut? Be aware of the OB but stay true to the line of the white you picked out. Try and visualise the angle you need when standing and dropping into the shot.

You can look at the object ball you can look at the white you can even look at the pocket too if you want and can keep still on the shot but staying true to the line of the white you picked out when standing behind the shot will help improve consistency I think. - Someone said its a game of lines like a computer game. it is. Its a simple thing that people over complicate - play the line. Experience of repeating the process repeating the potting angles working on technique and good old fashioned practice will only help you achieve.
                          Very simple yet very hard to do consistently. Some people stumble across a method to achieve it naturally, some need coaching, some will never get it even with coaching!

The key thing is finding your method of visualisation and getting down onto the line properly. Something I was shown was to have the cue down on line and supported with butt on the cushion and the shaft supported forward of the bring hand by 2 chalks. Stand behind the shot and see the line frond where you'd normally stand. Drop into the shot pretending you have a cue in your hands and see where you end up. It's scary how far off some people are. It's even scarier how much unnecessary *+#% some people do with their hands/arms in the way down! "It's not a €}%~ing light sabre" has been uttered a few times!

I really like the simplicity of how Barry Stark gets players to address the ball and (although I'm not a fan) the minimalism of Nic Barrow's technique.

I'd be very interested to see a video front in and behind with eyes open and then eyes shut. It could very well be you're getting down in line but "seeing" the shot wrong when down.

Comment

Originally Posted by GasMonkey View Post
                            Very simple yet very hard to do consistently. Some people stumble across a method to achieve it naturally, some need coaching, some will never get it even with coaching!

The key thing is finding your method of visualisation and getting down onto the line properly. Something I was shown was to have the cue down on line and supported with butt on the cushion and the shaft supported forward of the bring hand by 2 chalks. Stand behind the shot and see the line frond where you'd normally stand. Drop into the shot pretending you have a cue in your hands and see where you end up. It's scary how far off some people are. It's even scarier how much unnecessary *+#% some people do with their hands/arms in the way down! "It's not a €}%~ing light sabre" has been uttered a few times!

I really like the simplicity of how Barry Stark gets players to address the ball and (although I'm not a fan) the minimalism of Nic Barrow's technique.

I'd be very interested to see a video front in and behind with eyes open and then eyes shut. It could very well be you're getting down in line but "seeing" the shot wrong when down.
                            Totally agree ... Can you explain what you mean with the chalk thing again - I don't quite get it. You mean you set the cue up correctly then get up and get down imaging you holding the cue - highlighting errors on the way down?
                            Last edited by Byrom; 23 July 2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Taking any advice in snooker - mine as well - wont work for everyone - there is no right and wrong with whatever some coach tells you that would suit every single player - what this forum i about and all the coaching tips - is about taking what bits work for you as a player and discounting the other bits you think might be rubbish..

I am not really a fan of Mr Barrow either as he goes around the houses a bit - but he knows some stuff - 23.20 onwards on this video - will review the rest when its time for bed.

Comment

Yeah exactly. Say your bridge V is 10" on most shots from the cueball. Place 2 bits of chalk at 5" from the ferrule supporting the shaft. Use the cushion or something else to support the butt. I use a spiderpodium flexible cradle thing as it's my phone holder in the car. Set the cue up perfectly and the drop down imagining you are holding the cue.

Comment

Working...
                                X