This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Nice looking stick matty, was never really a fan of their joints though, just looks overly excessive and heavy. How are you going to go about getting it taken down in weight, from what i recall that one was 22oz or around that mark?
    yeh around 21 onz. the weight feels in the butt end, so should be easy to be taken out.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sanman View Post
      That sort of work especially on an Ultimate cue is unacceptable. Just the other day Jason Owen put up a cue here for sale as a "sinbin" cue and all that was visually wrong was just one splice was out by a similar amount as seen on that Ultimate. And Jason is a newbie cuemaker here. One would certainly never see such work leaving MW or TW or RC or most other top cuemakers workshop.
      I always use this term for a JP cue.... "Factory Cues"
      Correct me if I am wrong....... Sorry, no offense to JP's fans

If I have the budget, I'll get a MW & TW..... never never JP.
      Currently only mastercraft & dunn.

I saw Jason's sinbin cue, is actually nice.... but I was late !!

Cheers ~~~~~~~
      Last edited by kadobau; 24 October 2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

How are they "factory cues" exactly?

Comment

How are they "factory cues" exactly?
          Sorry, my language expression may not be good, I only start to speak, read & write English when I no longer a teenager... LOL.

done by a group of workers in a factory, mass production....
          correct me if I am wrong, sincerely apologize if I am wrong.

Cheers~~~~~~~

Comment

• Its barely big enough premises to be called a factory! He probably has around 8 or so people working on cues all doing different jobs. Its the only way to possibly meet demand. The Ultimate cues and most made to measure cues will be carried out by his top craftsman, including himself. However it is likely that the normal Parris range are made by the lesser experienced workers, but will still be very capable craftsmen.

Your use of the term 'factory' could be applied to near enough all people who make cues. They will certainly be making them in a workshop which is the term I prefer, and really is what JP's setup is. It doesn't make it a derogatory term unless that is what you are implying?

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
              Its barely big enough premises to be called a factory! He probably has around 8 or so people working on cues all doing different jobs. Its the only way to possibly meet demand. The Ultimate cues and most made to measure cues will be carried out by his top craftsman, including himself. However it is likely that the normal Parris range are made by the lesser experienced workers, but will still be very capable craftsmen.

Your use of the term 'factory' could be applied to near enough all people who make cues. They will certainly be making them in a workshop which is the term I prefer, and really is what JP's setup is. It doesn't make it a derogatory term unless that is what you are implying?
              You would have thought then that an ultimate cue returned for extra splicing would have the same top craftsmen looking after the work .

Which makes the 10mm splice difference a bit difficult to figure out . Maybe one that slipped through the net ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by kadobau View Post
                Sorry, my language expression may not be good, I only start to speak, read & write English when I no longer a teenager... LOL.

done by a group of workers in a factory, mass production....
                correct me if I am wrong, sincerely apologize if I am wrong.

Cheers~~~~~~~
                Theres 12 workers and according to John they complete about 20 cues a week, far too small a number to be even close to be considered "mass production".

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                  You would have thought then that an ultimate cue returned for extra splicing would have the same top craftsmen looking after the work .

Which makes the 10mm splice difference a bit difficult to figure out . Maybe one that slipped through the net ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  But what is to say that the best craftsman have to stop what they are doing for what is in essence a repair job? Just because the cue is an ultimate does not mean that it has to be worked on by his best workers when it comes back for extra work to be carried out. By all means if you think that splicing points are that accurate then complain but for me its just purely a slight cosmetic issue that you need to go looking for to critique. Personally you buy a JP for its playability factor, I've said numerous times that cosmetics of a cue are just that.

Comment

• Well the chevrons on the ash shaft are aligned with the point of the ebony, the "cosmetic" splices points are not aligned with the ebony points, the butt chamfer/flat is aligned with the cosmetic splices. As I play with the flat in a certain place everytime, i.e.on top, the mis-alignment of the splices/flat with the chevrons would not be what I expect and hence could affect the playablity of the cue for me.
                    Personally, I would contact JP and have a chat about the mis-alignment if it was my cue.
                    cheers
                    Last edited by DeanH; 24 October 2012, 12:39 PM.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                      But what is to say that the best craftsman have to stop what they are doing for what is in essence a repair job? Just because the cue is an ultimate does not mean that it has to be worked on by his best workers when it comes back for extra work to be carried out. By all means if you think that splicing points are that accurate then complain but for me its just purely a slight cosmetic issue that you need to go looking for to critique. Personally you buy a JP for its playability factor, I've said numerous times that cosmetics of a cue are just that.
                      Not when you pay JP prices, cosmetics are part of what you pay for.
                      To not even align the splices with the originals is ridiculous.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Old cue collector --
                      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                        Gotta say, I wouldnt let that go in a million years!! Jeez that is terrible. Id be amazed if John Parris himself knew that was sent out to a customer.
                        http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

• Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                          Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                          Gotta say, I wouldnt let that go in a million years!! Jeez that is terrible. Id be amazed if John Parris himself knew that was sent out to a customer.
                          From what I'm told he inspects them before they go out. At the minute they're probably getting hammered with work for Christmas so possibly some things slip by if he's not available. To be perfectly honest i don't think it would bother me anyway, not as if im gonna stand gawking at the butt while playing a shot, "Ultimate" has always been about an asthetically pleasing shaft more so than having perfect splices, though with that name and the price people are entitled to having them perfect. Different strokes etc
                          Last edited by narl; 24 October 2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

From what I'm told he inspects them before they go out. At the minute they're probably getting hammered with work for Christmas so possibly some things slip by if he's not available. To be perfectly honest i don't think it would bother me anyway, not as if im gonna stand gawking at the butt while playing a shot, "Ultimate" has always been about an asthetically pleasing shaft more so than having perfect splices, though with that name and the price people are entitled to having them perfect. Different strokes etc
                            It'll bother the next owner (and your wallet) if you ever sold it..
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Old cue collector --
                            Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                            (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                              It'll bother the next owner (and your wallet) if you ever sold it..
                              Depends really on the buyer, most people would just be happy to own an ultimate for the prestiege factor. Ive seen fedia flog one or two with splices slightly out for his usual markup so its not something that will bother everyone.
                              Last edited by narl; 24 October 2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Depends really on the buyer, most people would just be happy to own an ultimate for the prestiege factor. Ive seen fedia flog one or two with splices slightly out for his usual markup so its not something that will bother everyone.
                                never seen him sell one!
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X