This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by 147888J View Post

That Custom Cue is a looker. Which do you prefer? I notice they are both the same parameter minus the weight
    Yes it is stunning and a player - I was very lucky to get such a cue made so well - but I also really dig this Ton Praram Limited as well and also have a few other cues I really like and have been trying - I intend to keep only the top 2 or 3 cues that best suit my game - and determine which ones I decide to keep - only time will tell. When I settle on one or two (as a backup) I might well sell off some of my cues.
    1Glover Cue N. American Ash full shaft 18.6oz/58/9.55mm/30.2mm/17.7 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, African Blackwood round butt with Snakewood and Tulip front splice
    2Custom Triple crown N. American Ash full shaft 18.7oz/58/9.7mm/30.2mm/17 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, Plain jet black African ebony round butt

Comment

• Originally Posted by PaceAce View Post

Yes it is stunning and a player - I was very lucky to get such a cue made so well - but I also really dig this Ton Praram Limited as well and also have a few other cues I really like and have been trying - I intend to keep only the top 2 or 3 cues that best suit my game - and determine which ones I decide to keep - only time will tell. When I settle on one or two (as a backup) I might well sell off some of my cues.
      Since I started playing again (moved half way round the world, pandemics etc), I have had to come to terms with the fact that a cue isn't something you just find lying around in your garage, or are given. You have to find your own Excalibur. Finding cues here was/is a pain in the ass, and actually was way easier when I stopped trying to find a like for like replica to may cue back home.

My dad is a quality player, and I took a lot of advice from him (to add a pinch or reality and logic to forum obtained knowledge lol)

Are you just looking for the right weight/balance now then?

I just picked a lovely cue "F1 by Niche ultimate" to see how that goes, and also have my Chinese 8-ball cue (see various set-ups in this game, but my cues very closely matched in parameters, with a millimetre greater tip size)

I am trialling a cue that is a couple of centimetres longer, but same weight, tip and butt size. I am curious to see how it balances/plays over the weekend (I'm not tall, but long limbed human if that makes sense)

Will have a good nosey at Custom Cues, as Christmas is around the corner (right? lol)

Comment

• I just got this cue added to my “collection”. MasterCue Prime-S 1piece. 58.3” 18.8oz 9.6mm 30.3mm bp 17.3” N American mature Ash shaft, single face splice Tulip wood splice and Jet black Gabon Ebony.

Master Cue are probably (if not one of) the longest established cue makers in Thailand for at least 30 years. They have a long established reputation but are vastly underestimated in quality, but actually make quite amazing cues. I have tried 3 Master cues and 2 of them are now mine. All of them seem to have a very comfortable strike, feel-good hit. Good and solid build.

Luckily for me this cue has a very strong shaft with incredible cue ball spin, reaction, touch and feel. I’ll enjoy playing with this and some of my other cues until I settle by end of summer. This one really helps me pot balls.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/114391...?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        Last edited by PaceAce; 19 March 2023, 04:44 PM.
        1Glover Cue N. American Ash full shaft 18.6oz/58/9.55mm/30.2mm/17.7 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, African Blackwood round butt with Snakewood and Tulip front splice
        2Custom Triple crown N. American Ash full shaft 18.7oz/58/9.7mm/30.2mm/17 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, Plain jet black African ebony round butt

Comment

• Originally Posted by PaceAce View Post
          I just got this cue added to my “collection”. MasterCue Prime-S 1piece. 58.3” 18.8oz 9.6mm 30.3mm bp 17.3” N American mature Ash shaft, single face splice Tulip wood splice and Jet black Gabon Ebony.

Master Cue are probably (if not one of) the longest established cue makers in Thailand for at least 30 years. They have a long established reputation but are vastly underestimated in quality, but actually make quite amazing cues. I have tried 3 Master cues and 2 of them are now mine. All of them seem to have a very comfortable strike, feel-good hit. Good and solid build.

Luckily for me this cue has a very strong shaft with incredible cue ball spin, reaction, touch and feel. I’ll enjoy playing with this and some of my other cues until I settle by end of summer. This one really helps me pot balls.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/114391...?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V
          Beautiful! I nearly bought a couple of different connoisseur-S now from XianYu App. Nice looking, but they always have bigger tips for 8-ball market though. The 9.5 tipped one I found was lovely, plain ebony and a veneer of some deep red, square name-plate. Very retro looking, like my grandads old cue. 5000rmb or so here for their higher end (but I think here's mad expensive anyway imo)

Comment

• I have just received this new cue added to my collection. I had been curious about other Thai cue makers of whom there are many who are excellent but who don’t have much marketing in UK and Europe.
            I came across Somdech Cues also known as or “Somdath” Cues also on Facebook from Thailand.
            This is the cue spec 58.25” 18.8oz 30.5mm 9.6mm very tight grained ash shaft and plain ebony butt.
            When trying the cue it has a nice sounding strike and touch to it. It generates very good action on the cue ball and feels like a very straight hitter and very solid behind the shot. A medium-stiff shaft which would be great for break building.

The grain is very straight all throughout and very tight too, indicating old slow growth Ash. Hints of pale grey and cream ash colors make this shaft look very interesting. The arrows are also nice and small.
            The only issue so see is the brass ferrule as I’m a titanium convert. As soon as I get a chance I’ll be putting one on.

This cue was SOLD - I have too many cues lol.
            Last edited by PaceAce; 10 May 2023, 12:19 PM. Reason: Sold

Comment

• Originally Posted by 147888J View Post

Since I started playing again (moved half way round the world, pandemics etc), I have had to come to terms with the fact that a cue isn't something you just find lying around in your garage, or are given. You have to find your own Excalibur. Finding cues here was/is a pain in the ass, and actually was way easier when I stopped trying to find a like for like replica to may cue back home.

My dad is a quality player, and I took a lot of advice from him (to add a pinch or reality and logic to forum obtained knowledge lol)

Are you just looking for the right weight/balance now then?

I just picked a lovely cue "F1 by Niche ultimate" to see how that goes, and also have my Chinese 8-ball cue (see various set-ups in this game, but my cues very closely matched in parameters, with a millimetre greater tip size)

I am trialling a cue that is a couple of centimetres longer, but same weight, tip and butt size. I am curious to see how it balances/plays over the weekend (I'm not tall, but long limbed human if that makes sense)

Will have a good nosey at Custom Cues, as Christmas is around the corner (right? lol)

Usually Weight (around 18.5-18.8oz) and length 58-58.25" mainly and tip size roughly 9.4-9.7 is fine for me. I do not bother with specific balance points as they come naturally (the cue maker decides that based on the density of timbers used (you can tell cue maker if you want to have it feel lighter on the bridge - more touch - or to feel more weight on bridge - less touch).
              Once I have a cue it does not matter what the specs are. Just feel how it plays and how shaft responds and feels on various types of shot (thin/thick/solid/vibration/sound). It is very important to change the tip if necessary as it must be a good one or I cannot compare to anything else.

Comment

• No such thing as Rainbow Rosewood mate it is a nickname the thai's give it as it is illegal for them to fell. It is actually Siamese Rosewood
                Last edited by Bilston Cues; 9 May 2023, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Bilston Cues View Post
                  No such thing as Rainbow Rosewood mate it is a nickname the thai's give it as it is illegal for them to fell. It is actually Siamese Rosewood
                  Wity Bilston
                  This wood has many names depending on the language used - I am not sure if you know the Thai pronunciation and spelling and in Latin as well?
                  I can refer to it with whatever words I choose, 7-colour, Siamese, Rainbow, etc. etc. Rosewood.....as long as the message gets across.

Well I am actually not surprised it didnt take you long to stick your nose into that trivial subject. You must have run out of badges to stick onto other people's cues. . .

Comment

• Yep , re-badges Cue Craft and Tom Praram cues and another makers

didn’t have a clue about making cues until he called a cuemaker out .

The cuemaker called his bluff and told him to come to his workshop ……where he saw him making cues totally by hand .
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
                      Yep , re-badges Cue Craft and Tom Praram cues and another makers

didn’t have a clue about making cues until he called a cuemaker out .

The cuemaker called his bluff and told him to come to his workshop ……where he saw him making cues totally by hand .
                      Agreed 🤣 👍

Comment

• Well my old beech was giving up the ghost and started bending near the top of the splices.
                        So made myself a new one.
                        Pear shaft with padouk, red white and blue two sides and black yellow and green there other two.
                        Finishing with zebrano.
                        Titanium ferrule 9.5mm
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/UHH41bnQPNL3wipF9
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/VtvtB9vfJx7hCBfu5
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/VVQNLhCU6TkzUhqy8
                        For that one you've always wanted...
                        https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

• lovely looking cue
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            lovely looking cue
                            Really enjoyed making it and thanks.
                            Making one similar to it got someone.

Comment

• Nice work, hope it plays well for you Colin. 👍
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                                Nice work, hope it plays well for you Colin. 👍
                                Plays lovely and have county finals next month 👍🏾

Comment

Working...
                                X