No announcement yet.

2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eurosport Player is showing Selt - Ng and Gould - Davison.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
      Anybody else wants to pick the 16 players who qualify for the World Championship? I'd be interested what others think :smile:.
      I can't be bothered to go into any great detail, but I'm always up for a good prediction contest. :smile:

Here are my picks:

Section 1: Ryan Day - Easy pick, he is having the best season of his life and this section is quite easy. He's been going behind early on in matches quite a few times recently, then showed good composure to come back, so I think the longer matches will suit him very nicely.
      Section 2: Zhou Yuelong - Not much to say here, other than the fact that Chinese youngsters have traditionally played very well in World Championship qualifiers. Quite a few have reached the Crucible in the past, then went on to have fairly mediocre careers, but I think Zhou has already proved himself as a player, so there is no real danger of that happening.
      Section 3: Xiao Guodong - While I do think Mark Joyce is a little underrated as a player, he's never reached the Crucible before, so I have to go with Xiao here.
      Section 4: Martin Gould - He can be a little unreliable, so he is by no means a certainty here, but he is still by far the best player in his section.
      Section 5: Graeme Dott - I was proved wrong last year when I basically dismissed Dott's chances at the Crucible. I won't be making the same mistake here, especially as he has had a much better season this time, and this section is quite easy.
      Section 6: Michael Holt - First one where we disagree, although I must admit it's a tough choice... Weak section all in all, so anything could happen here. I just haven't been impressed with Milkins at all lately though, so I'll go with Holt.
      Section 7: Li Hang - Okay, most of his good results this season came before new year, but he just looked so composed and patient in the China Championship and the World Open. I think this format will suit him perfectly, and I can potentially see him getting the better of Lyu.
      Section 8: Mark King - With all due respect to the other veterans here, King is the only one still playing somewhere close to his best form, so he surely has to be the favourite.
      Section 9: Liang Wenbo - Disappointing form this season, so I could see him going out in a more difficult section, but he got quite lucky with the draw here. Jamie Jones could still be a danger though.
      Section 10: Jack Lisowski - You may remember that I never really rated Lisowski particularly highly, even a few years back when everyone was going mad about him, but I think he's made a big step forward this season. McManus may have all the experience, but Lisowski is playing by far the better snooker at the moment, and not just in the short format.
      Section 11: Ricky Walden - Tough call, Cao Yupeng is a big favourite according to this season's results, but I haven't forgotten how good Walden is when he plays to his potential. I just hope he can rediscover his form at some point.
      Section 12: Joe Perry - Despite Craigie's run last week, I think it's between Davis and Perry here, with the latter being a comfortable favourite.
      Section 13: Yan Bingtao - Another easy call for me, I can't see anyone from this section beating Yan in a two-session match at the moment.
      Section 14: David Gilbert - This one is a 50/50 for me between Gilbert and Wilson. Recent form is on Wilson's side, but I think Gilbert is perhaps a slightly superior player when on form.
      Section 15: Michael White - Frustrating player... Technically he's now won two ranking events, but in reality he's never even been to the semi-finals of any event outside of the short format, even though he is almost 27 now and has been on the scene for a long time. But that criticism easily applies to the likes of Robertson and Baird as well, so I'll go with the bigger name here.
      Section 16: Stephen Maguire - Early on in the season Vafei could have been a tricky opponent here, but I'm not sure what's happened to his form in recent months. Has to be Maguire really, by far the best player in this section, and his recent form has been quite respectable as well.

There we go, we differ in 6 picks out of the 16. Should be interesting. :smile:

Comment

Yes I would like to see Jimmy qualifier, but Sam Craigie as had a good season and I think Dominic dale could be close, also thought about McManus on experience but he as had a poor season and beaten by a lot of lower ranked players in the first round, but the two that stand out for me in round one are Jackson Page and Yan Bingtao, I think if Jackson Page could overcome nerves and the occasion it will be a close game and could beat Yan. also Peter Ebon V James Wattana could be close two players who have played on the one table set up before. and of the invites Jamie Cope could have a good run. I love doing predictions myself be nice if someone could do a prediction contest for the world championships
        Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
          I can't be bothered to go into any great detail, but I'm always up for a good prediction contest. :smile:

Here are my picks:

Section 1: Ryan Day - Easy pick, he is having the best season of his life and this section is quite easy. He's been going behind early on in matches quite a few times recently, then showed good composure to come back, so I think the longer matches will suit him very nicely.
          Section 2: Zhou Yuelong - Not much to say here, other than the fact that Chinese youngsters have traditionally played very well in World Championship qualifiers. Quite a few have reached the Crucible in the past, then went on to have fairly mediocre careers, but I think Zhou has already proved himself as a player, so there is no real danger of that happening.
          Section 3: Xiao Guodong - While I do think Mark Joyce is a little underrated as a player, he's never reached the Crucible before, so I have to go with Xiao here.
          Section 4: Martin Gould - He can be a little unreliable, so he is by no means a certainty here, but he is still by far the best player in his section.
          Section 5: Graeme Dott - I was proved wrong last year when I basically dismissed Dott's chances at the Crucible. I won't be making the same mistake here, especially as he has had a much better season this time, and this section is quite easy.
          Section 6: Michael Holt - First one where we disagree, although I must admit it's a tough choice... Weak section all in all, so anything could happen here. I just haven't been impressed with Milkins at all lately though, so I'll go with Holt.
          Section 7: Li Hang - Okay, most of his good results this season came before new year, but he just looked so composed and patient in the China Championship and the World Open. I think this format will suit him perfectly, and I can potentially see him getting the better of Lyu.
          Section 8: Mark King - With all due respect to the other veterans here, King is the only one still playing somewhere close to his best form, so he surely has to be the favourite.
          Section 9: Liang Wenbo - Disappointing form this season, so I could see him going out in a more difficult section, but he got quite lucky with the draw here. Jamie Jones could still be a danger though.
          Section 10: Jack Lisowski - You may remember that I never really rated Lisowski particularly highly, even a few years back when everyone was going mad about him, but I think he's made a big step forward this season. McManus may have all the experience, but Lisowski is playing by far the better snooker at the moment, and not just in the short format.
          Section 11: Ricky Walden - Tough call, Cao Yupeng is a big favourite according to this season's results, but I haven't forgotten how good Walden is when he plays to his potential. I just hope he can rediscover his form at some point.
          Section 12: Joe Perry - Despite Craigie's run last week, I think it's between Davis and Perry here, with the latter being a comfortable favourite.
          Section 13: Yan Bingtao - Another easy call for me, I can't see anyone from this section beating Yan in a two-session match at the moment.
          Section 14: David Gilbert - This one is a 50/50 for me between Gilbert and Wilson. Recent form is on Wilson's side, but I think Gilbert is perhaps a slightly superior player when on form.
          Section 15: Michael White - Frustrating player... Technically he's now won two ranking events, but in reality he's never even been to the semi-finals of any event outside of the short format, even though he is almost 27 now and has been on the scene for a long time. But that criticism easily applies to the likes of Robertson and Baird as well, so I'll go with the bigger name here.
          Section 16: Stephen Maguire - Early on in the season Vafei could have been a tricky opponent here, but I'm not sure what's happened to his form in recent months. Has to be Maguire really, by far the best player in this section, and his recent form has been quite respectable as well.

There we go, we differ in 6 picks out of the 16. Should be interesting. :smile:
          Good predictions. I agree Lisowski, Li and White are the logical choices in their sections, but I wanted to go for some surprises.
          I also agree Gilbert is a slightly superior player to Wilson, but I think recent form and nerves may give the advantage to Wilson.

Comment

would anyone be interested in a prediction contest throughout the world champions, starting out with the second round of qualifiers right through to final on May 7, say 5 points for the correct winner and also 10 if the lower ranked player wins and 20 points for the correct match score, also the highest break of the qualifiers and TV Stages of the event as well for 5 extra points. You can also predict quarterfinals, but the semi finals, the final and the world champion and you get 5 points for each if correct.
            If you wish you can also predict the first round matches for fun
            Last edited by Mr Snooker; 11 April 2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Snooker View Post
              would anyone be interested in a prediction contest throughout the world champions, starting out with the second session of qualifiers this after noon right through to final on May 7, say 5 points for the correct winner and also 10 if the lower ranked player wins and 20 points for the correct match score, also the highest break of the qualifiers and TV Stages of the event as well for 5 extra points. Let me know what you think please and I will try to set a new thread up.
              Yeah, I'd be in.

Comment

whats the best streaming website for watching the 2 main qualifying tables, without subscription? trying hahasport it wont load for me

cheers
                Blown away

Comment

Originally Posted by jw147 View Post
                  whats the best streaming website for watching the 2 main qualifying tables, without subscription? trying hahasport it wont load for me

cheers
                  https://sportstream365.com/other

Comment

Cheers Mr Snooker, works perfect
                    Blown away

Comment

Originally Posted by jw147 View Post
                      Cheers Mr Snooker, works perfect
                      Your welcome, shame no commentary though also this one http://livetv.sx/enx/ but not sure if it works as well, probably like hahasport

don't download the flash player if it asks you to.

Comment

Your welcome, shame no commentary though also this one http://livetv.sx/enx/ but not sure if it works as well, probably like hahasport

don't download the flash player if it asks you to.
                        oops read it wrong I think also on World Snooker Facebook - from 17th

no commentary till the 17th - till last day "judgement Day" as WS call it
                        with Neal Foulds and Rob Walker
                        Last edited by DeanH; 11 April 2018, 01:42 PM.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Shame they're not showing Evans v Dale, we get little enough chance to see the ladies play and I think it would have been a much better choice than Dott v Ridley.
                          Holt's having a bad day so far, 4 - 0 down to Thor.

-
                          The fast and the furious,
                          The slow and labourious,
                          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                            Shame they're not showing Evans v Dale, we get little enough chance to see the ladies play and I think it would have been a much better choice than Dott v Ridley.

-
                            With the Ng match being streamed, seen as she is the more successful of the 2 ladies they might be showing the 2nd session?

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

-
                              shamebthe camera can't move to another table once a match is over be a lot better or let u pick the match you want to watch

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                                With the Ng match being streamed, seen as she is the more successful of the 2 ladies they might be showing the 2nd session?
                                Doesn't look like it unfortunately, they're scheduled to show the conclusion of Dott v Ridley tomorrow afternoon. Reanne's doing OK against The Spaceman as well 2 - 2 and 57 points each atm.....

shamebthe camera can't move to another table once a match is over be a lot better or let u pick the match you want to watch
                                That would be fantastic wouldn't it, not holding my breath for that one though.

-
                                The fast and the furious,
                                The slow and labourious,
                                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Working...
                                X