2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigie is on for a max now !!!
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      Well, Reanne Evans did play on the main tour a few years ago, and if I remember correctly she lost every single match, including against amateurs in the pre-rounds of some PTC events. Unless she's improved massively over the last couple of years, there is no chance in hell she is anywhere close to being the 60th best player in the world. :wink:
      That's true, but since then in world championship qualifying she has more than held her own. Look at today. Dale is definitely one of the top 50 players in the world and she's right there with him after 16 frames. Maybe 60 is a bit of a stretch, but I think she's somewhere in the 80-100 range.

When you are playing best of 7s there's a fine line between winning and losing. I suspect that after she lost her first three or four matches it got into her head and she started to feel the pressure. If she had won her first match or two it might have been a completely different story.

I've actually watched her play quite a bit and I'm convinced that she is a better player than the Alex Borgs or Christopher Keogans of the world. Maybe I'm out to lunch. Her record against Ng, who is terrible, isn't all that good. Maybe her safety play is so bad, that her potting abilities can't overcome it. I really don't know.

Mostly I just feel sorry for her that she can't make a good living at a sport where she's the best of all time. If she were a tennis player or golfer she would be world famous and a multi-millionaire.

Comment

Poor choice of TV matches again, both done and dusted in no time
        Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

I'm curios where you would rank her Odrl. Top 150? Top 200? Top 300 or even lower than that?

Comment

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
            Mostly I just feel sorry for her that she can't make a good living at a sport where she's the best of all time. If she were a tennis player or golfer she would be world famous and a multi-millionaire.
            Not only is she the best of all-time of her gender, she is an absolute country mile better than anyone else. She's a respectable standard player, she's played several strong players and given them all a run for their money.

Where she falls down from what I have seen of her is that she doesn't score heavily enough, and I think a large part of that is mentality. She doesn't need to score heavily in the women's game. She needs to work with a top coach or player on that part of her game, and not settle for her current style, which is somewhat conservative. She has the ability to make it on the main tour.

The problem is that, in common with many other less-established players, if she were to go on the main tour now, she would lose far more than she'd win. So she'd have to learn to deal with that. But she definitely has the potential to be top 50.
            Last edited by wake_up_bomb; 12 April 2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

She's 31-38 in frames in four matches in world championship qualifying against players ranked between 41 and 81. Not a huge sample size, but it suggests that she could be competitive on tour if given another chance.

Comment

Originally Posted by wake_up_bomb View Post
                Not only is she the best of all-time of her gender, she is an absolute country mile better than anyone else. She's a respectable standard player, she's played several strong players and given them all a run for her money.

Where she falls down from what I have seen of her is that she doesn't score heavily enough, and I think a large part of that is mentality. She doesn't need to score heavily in the women's game. She needs to work with a top coach or player on that part of her game, and not settle for her current style, which is somewhat conservative. She has the ability to make it on the main tour.

The problem is that, in common with many other less-established players, if she were to go on the main tour now, she would lose far more than she'd win. So she'd have to learn to deal with that. But she definitely has the potential to be top 50.
                Why do you think she loses to Ng half of the time?

Comment

Why do you think she loses to Ng half of the time?
                  I don't know that she does lose to her half of the time, I have no idea what their head to head is. As for why Ng would beat her at all, I have no idea, because there is no way she could possibly beat Robin Hull or run Dominic Dale and Ken Doherty close. Evans is quite obviously far, far stronger than her.

Comment

Originally Posted by wake_up_bomb View Post
                    I don't know that she does lose to her half of the time, I have no idea what their head to head is. As for why Ng would beat her at all, I have no idea, because there is no way she could possibly beat Robin Hull or run Dominic Dale and Ken Doherty close. Evans is quite obviously far, far stronger than her.
                    Over the last two years she's 2-4 against Ng in tournaments that are in the snooker.org database. She's also really struggled in Q School and has lost to quite a few men not on tour. Maybe we are overrating her.

Comment

I'm curios where you would rank her Odrl. Top 150? Top 200? Top 300 or even lower than that?
                      To be honest, I am probably not the right person to answer that, as I don't really follow the amateur scene at all. But the thing is, Q School is open to players of any gender, so if someone really had the ability to compete against players from the top half of the main tour, they would have every chance of qualifying. Especially those who live in the UK and can basically give it a shot every year without having to travel.

Comment

Over the last two years she's 2-4 against Ng in tournaments that are in the snooker.org database. She's also really struggled in Q School and has lost to quite a few men not on tour. Maybe we are overrating her.
                        I don't think anyone could conceivably claim that Ng could do what she has done. There is no way she could beat Robin Hull, or run Doherty and Dale close. She just lost 10-1 to Matthew Selt, and she was lucky to get 1, whereas Evans has shown quite consistently that she can compete with tour-level players.

I don't know how Evans has lost to Ng, the only two matches of them on YouTube are both won by Evans, one of them very comfortably, which is what I would expect. Probably the frames have gone scrappy somehow. But it's obvious from watching them play that Evans plays a far stronger game.

I'm not sure we are overrating Evans. She would definitely find it a struggle on the men's tour and lose a lot more than she won, as I said. But she's certainly not far away from being competitive.

Comment

Jimmy 8-5 up. Let's hope he can get over the line.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                            To be honest, I am probably not the right person to answer that, as I don't really follow the amateur scene at all. But the thing is, Q School is open to players of any gender, so if someone really had the ability to compete against players from the top half of the main tour, they would have every chance of qualifying. Especially those who live in the UK and can basically give it a shot every year without having to travel.
                            It is interesting that she has been so competitive against world class players in world championship qualifying and yet she's done so poorly in Q School against lesser players. It's a shame that there aren't a few other women players who can play at a decent level. The standard is so low compared to men that it's really embarrassing to watch.

It's really no different in darts. Maybe even worse, because no woman would stand a chance against any PDC player.

I remember reading the theory that historically men, as hunters, had to develop good hand to eye co-ordination. That's why they are better at snooker and darts and other games that don't require physical strength. I believe that shooting at the Olympics used to have men and women competing against each other and women held their own. Women also hold their own with men in equestrian events.

It's an interesting topic, but back to the qualifying. Go Jimmy!!!!!

Comment

Li and Hugill in a decider. Anthony Hamilton continuing the comeback.

Comment

It is interesting that she has been so competitive against world class players in world championship qualifying and yet she's done so poorly in Q School against lesser players. It's a shame that there aren't a few other women players who can play at a decent level. The standard is so low compared to men that it's really embarrassing to watch.

It's really no different in darts. Maybe even worse, because no woman would stand a chance against any PDC player.

I remember reading the theory that historically men, as hunters, had to develop good hand to eye co-ordination. That's why they are better at snooker and darts and other games that don't require physical strength. I believe that shooting at the Olympics used to have men and women competing against each other and women held their own. Women also hold their own with men in equestrian events.

It's an interesting topic, but back to the qualifying. Go Jimmy!!!!!
                                Ng has only won 2 of 22 frames played (9%) at the Worlds (10-1 defeats to both Bond and now Selt). Evans has won 45% of her frames.
                                Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

Working...
                                X