Project Snooker Shed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by philip in china View Post

I wanted a brewery ouside lamp for mine. (It actually is indoors, but that is another story). As a boy I used to love the Tetleys lamps with the foxhunting man. I looked on line and people wanted ridiculous prices. There were also other reasons why I got a modern one and just added transfers to the glass. Looks totally authentic.
    Hey Philip can you show us some pictures of your snooker room, would love to see it
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Comment

• I will start a new thread some time.
      王可

Comment

• Originally Posted by Paz369 View Post
        Right chaps..... I've been thinking/obsessing about this munting support bracket thing, I had Keith Davis install my table, he's got 40+years of knowledge and experience and he said I definitely didn't need them with this table. Most of you guys say I definitely 100 per cent do and I'm guessing that's through your own personal experience so I'm definitely not doubting you and I completely get you are trying to help and do really appreciate it. I think maybe for this winter I might keep it as is and use the 2 duvet technique when it turns cold, if I've got this right the under table heaters soften the slates and then they dip? The table is playing really well and I'm really enjoying it, there shouldn't be to much cold and damp in there as its temperature and humidity controlled so I will see how I go for a while
        Hi Paz! Any chance you could take a few pics showing the underside of your table?

Comment

• Yeah no worries, I'll do it in a little while

Comment

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Comment

• Yeah I can see why sagging won’t be an issue! You have two sets of slate bearers going down the table. A pain in the arse to get level, but shouldn’t move once the frame is set.

Heating is still possible, you would just need 9 panels to fit in between the gaps.

Comment

• Just looking at the photos again. Can you fit a playing card between the slate bearers (muntins) and the slate? I’m assuming they are actually in contact with the slate?

You’d be surprised how much just 1/2 a millimetre of sag can make the balls roll offline!

Last edited by Danger Steve; 18 October 2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• I can fit more than a playing card lol, its probably about an 8th of in inch or so gap between muntin and slate. Would using some kind of packer help if I went down the table heater route? I'll add a better picture.

Comment

• upload photo album online

Comment

• Ah! OK so no support really at all it’s just holding the frame together.

I mean it wasn’t until I think late 70’s 80’s until the adjustable muntin brackets where introduced, they are just a means of micro adjustment to the middle of the slates that before would have been done by crudely jamming wedges in that small gap between the frame and slate. With adjustable brackets you can actually remove a dish in a slate over time by slowly raising the muntin.

I think if your happy with how it plays and you can play a slow roll shot about 6” off the cushion without it curling towards the middle of the table then it should be OK for now. If it was me I would play on it until the cloth needs a re-stretch in 6 to 12 months time. Then you can decide if you want to add heating? If the answer is yes then I would have the slates removed, chop the muntins out and just put a single run down the middle on adjustable brackets, slates back on and fit 6 heat panels.

Comment

• Yeah that's how I'm going to play it I think, it's running very straight and true so no problems as yet, but I will definitely keep an eye on it for any changes and if that happens I'll have the slates off and add the brackets and go from there, but touch wood everything is perfect at the moment

Comment

Yeah that's how I'm going to play it I think, it's running very straight and true so no problems as yet, but I will definitely keep an eye on it for any changes and if that happens I'll have the slates off and add the brackets and go from there, but touch wood everything is perfect at the moment
                          Yeah it looks really great. He’s done a good job fitting the table too by the looks of it! No window packers all underneath to level the slates. Nice job

Comment

• Check the thickness of your slate at one of the pockets ,you can feel where the wood is and where the slate starts ,if it’s 2 inch it’s more the. Likely Welsh ,1.75 it’s probably Italian ,Welsh is the best and most stable .What I would do just to be on the safe side is just fit one one centre bearer set between the two you have on adjustable brackets ,it’s easy to do and no dismantling of the table needs to be done ,tighten the muntins up until they are just snug and only just supporting the slate ,that is all they need to be .6 brackets and 3= bits of decent timber cut perfectly straight from a timber yard .I had new Mahogany ones fitted when I got my table (posh muntins)

Comment

• I measured the slates, they are 2.5 inches thick

Comment

I measured the slates, they are 2.5 inches thick
                                I think your table will be fine then ,that’s even thicker than standard slate from 100 years or so ago ,I doubt you would get any sag with those ,but if you ever put in under table heating then it may be better to fit the adjustable bearers

Comment

Working...
                                X