2015 Betfred World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    While I agree with you that Murphy's safety game isn't very good and he isn't as a good allround player as Selby or Robertson I wouldn't exclude another run at the world championship title for him. I mean he got pretty close here, though he had a very favorable draw. But also this could happen again.
    I totally see your point. With a kind draw, he could quite easily get to a final again. This year he had to beat Hull, McGill, Perry, Hawkins and Bingham to win a world title. I don't think that kind of draw will ever present itself for Murphy again. It is very rare you have the opportunity to win a major snooker tournament without having to beat one of Selby, Robertson, Trump, Ronnie or Ding. I just feel as though this year was his best chance to win another

Comment

• Originally Posted by magnifico View Post
      I totally see your point. With a kind draw, he could quite easily get to a final again. This year he had to beat Hull, McGill, Perry, Hawkins and Bingham to win a world title. I don't think that kind of draw will ever present itself for Murphy again. It is very rare you have the opportunity to win a major snooker tournament without having to beat one of Selby, Robertson, Trump, Ronnie or Ding. I just feel as though this year was his best chance to win another
      Yes, he probably won't have such a draw again. But maybe he can up his safety game a little bit and develop something like a plan B, which he doesn't seem to have at all. Of the one-time-champions of his generation I don't think he is as likely to add another title as Selby or Robertson, but he is still among the best players in the game, so I just won't say, that he has no chance.

Comment

• Slightly off topic...
        I remember during 2010 WSC on BBC, some snooker players and experts (like Steve Davis, David Hendon...) were predicting who will be among top 5 players in 2015. As I recall they were doing this every five year, they also looked back on what they predicted in 2005. It was quite interesting, but I didn't see it this year. Now I don't know if I missed it or they just didn't make it this year. Has anyone seen it perhaps?
        While the King was looking down, the Jester stole his thorny crown

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mc2G View Post
          Slightly off topic...
          I remember during 2010 WSC on BBC, some snooker players and experts (like Steve Davis, David Hendon...) were predicting who will be among top 5 players in 2015. As I recall they were doing this every five year, they also looked back on what they predicted in 2005. It was quite interesting, but I didn't see it this year. Now I don't know if I missed it or they just didn't make it this year. Has anyone seen it perhaps?

I haven't seen this (as I can't see BBC in my country). But I would be interested: Does anybobdy have the lists, they predicted in 2010 for 2015?

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
            I haven't seen this (as I can't see BBC in my country). But I would be interested: Does anybobdy have the lists, they predicted in 2010 for 2015?
            Have a look through this thread:

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...op-8-2009-2014

:smile:

Comment

• What a tournament Bingham's had, I've never seen him play anywhere near that good. I didn't even think of him winning at the start of the tournament, especially with the tough draw he got. Can anyone explain his nickname though, I haven't a clue what it stands for?

Offtopic: Darn Odrl, you snatched that black ball trophy in the fantasy game right from my hands! If only I listened to my gut feeling and pick Shaun over Selby... And what a mistake selling McGill, lol! In the end I can consider myself lucky I didn't fall behind even more, byrom was closing in fast... Oh well, there's always next year

Comment

• Originally Posted by _royle View Post
                ... Can anyone explain his nickname though, I haven't a clue what it stands for?...
                Ballrun, as in he gets "the run of the ball", all the luck etc

Comment

• Thanks for clarifying, nothing lucky about his performances over the last few weeks though

Comment

• Originally Posted by _royle View Post
                    Offtopic: Darn Odrl, you snatched that black ball trophy in the fantasy game right from my hands! If only I listened to my gut feeling and pick Shaun over Selby... And what a mistake selling McGill, lol! In the end I can consider myself lucky I didn't fall behind even more, byrom was closing in fast... Oh well, there's always next year
                    It was never in doubt. :tongue:

I played it pretty safe in the World Championship with O'Sullivan and Robertson, thinking they had a pretty open route to at least the semi-finals. I was a little worried when they both went out in the quarters, especially as I knew you had McGill previously, but luckily it didn't cost me. I knew no one would go for Trump because he was ridiculously expensive, and Bingham cost about the same as Robertson for example, so I was pretty sure no one would have him either. :smile:

Well played to you, it was a nice contest, and well played to Byrom and Gaz as well. I think they missed the first event, so they did well to come back from that starting deficit. Hopefully we can get a few more people to play next year. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                      It was never in doubt. :tongue:

I played it pretty safe in the World Championship with O'Sullivan and Robertson, thinking they had a pretty open route to at least the semi-finals. I was a little worried when they both went out in the quarters, especially as I knew you had McGill previously, but luckily it didn't cost me. I knew no one would go for Trump because he was ridiculously expensive, and Bingham cost about the same as Robertson for example, so I was pretty sure no one would have him either. :smile:

Well played to you, it was a nice contest, and well played to Byrom and Gaz as well. I think they missed the first event, so they did well to come back from that starting deficit. Hopefully we can get a few more people to play next year. :smile:
                      How do you go about entering?
                      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

• Originally Posted by spike View Post
                        How do you go about entering?
                        This is the website:

http://www.fantasy-point.com/

Someone posted a thread last summer inviting us to join, but I can't find it at the moment, sorry. :smile:

Comment

• Just a few more words about these two players, I've just got back from Sheffield and have not had chance to read through all the thread. But I'm sure it's all been said what a wonderful final and wonderful story it has all been.

But having been at the final yesterday, and waited till they let all and sundry into the after-party, I wanted to add to the general comments about Murphy and Bingham being great ambassadors for the game and perfect gentlemen and all that. The after-party is obviously great for the winner, and not so great for the runner-up. Ronnie O'Sullivan, whether he's won or lost the final, has always gone in, done the corporate necessities and disappeared as quickly as possible.

Bingham and Murphy, though, were only too happy to have photos (even with the trophy in Bingham's case!) as well as asides like Ken Doherty, Rob Walker, etc. At one point, one fan wanted a photo with Stuart and the silverware and the nearest person available to hold the camera offered to take it. That nearest person was Shaun Murphy himself!

It's a bit of a clichéd expression "Class act on an off the baize" since Rob Walker uses it every time he is introduced. But it really is true.

Comment

• Good one on fantasy-point!

Comment

• The game needs proper ambassadors and its great
                              to hear that both players were just that. They dress
                              and act like gentlemen and its quite the opposite of
                              some who are unshaven and look a mess. Not to
                              mention those who just run off and dont act in a
                              professional manner.

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                                It's a bit of a clichéd expression "Class act on an off the baize" since Rob Walker uses it every time he is introduced. But it really is true.
                                It really does not surprise me. Both players are class acts and get continually praised by commentators and other players.

The after party sounds awesome. I wish I had been there to enjoy it as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X