No announcement yet.

Project Snooker Shed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't remember where I saw this or even if I'm making it up but I'm sure I read that you shouldn't have your heat source directly touching the slate. I don't know if you have Steve just thought I'd mention it.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      I can't remember where I saw this or even if I'm making it up but I'm sure I read that you shouldn't have your heat source directly touching the slate. I don't know if you have Steve just thought I'd mention it.
      Geoff Large mentions it everytime when discussing under table heating - something about the slate not liking direct heating,?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        I can't remember where I saw this or even if I'm making it up but I'm sure I read that you shouldn't have your heat source directly touching the slate. I don't know if you have Steve just thought I'd mention it.
        oooh just struck a memory chord there was it Geoff Large who said something about making the slate sweat?... could also be wrong.... I would imaging that was old style heating tubes from memory? :confusion:
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Really? Interesting.. These heat mats don’t get that hot, you can touch them with your hand, there designed to sit under timber flooring so will be in permanent contact. If a small gap is required it’s no big deal! Just move the blocks down 5/10mm

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

oooh just struck a memory chord there was it Geoff Large who said something about making the slate sweat?... could also be wrong.... I would imaging that was old style heating tubes from memory? :confusion:
            I believe the Star and Wikiri slabs are slung some distance from the slates, they heat up the air which in turn warms the slates
            hence the temperature control show ~40C to heat the table top to ~20C

Comment

• Pulled one off to take a look, it’s been on for about an hour... no sweating and the panel is only warm to the touch. The slate is noticeably warm compared to the very edges which are cold were the heat panel doesn’t quite reach outside of the frame. Another thing to note, screws shots suddenly seemed much easier!

On this video you can see the star heaters are supported very close to the slate? Not much gap...
              https://youtu.be/zbHyD5C5NG8

Comment

• Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                Pulled one off to take a look, it’s been on for about an hour... no sweating and the panel is only warm to the touch. The slate is noticeably warm compared to the very edges which are cold were the heat panel doesn’t quite reach outside of the frame. Another thing to note, screws shots suddenly seemed much easier!

On this video you can see the star heaters are supported very close to the slate? Not much gap...

yeh nice vid Steve, I think you are safe. Pretty sure those concerns were based on older heating systems as mentioned in the filming.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Pulled one off to take a look, it’s been on for about an hour... no sweating and the panel is only warm to the touch. The slate is noticeably warm compared to the very edges which are cold were the heat panel doesn’t quite reach outside of the frame. Another thing to note, screws shots suddenly seemed much easier!

Not seen that before, good video. Yeah those heat pads look like they will be pretty much touching the slates. Of course it could be they get away with it as the tables aren't played on that much really. Maybe it's a long term problem , I'm just guessing here , I have no insight into this.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Looking fantastic Steve. Great idea and ingenuity with the heating pads. Been looking at hotwire myself, it looks like you've created a great piece of kit there.

Comment

• Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post
                      Looking fantastic Steve. Great idea and ingenuity with the heating pads. Been looking at hotwire myself, it looks like you've created a great piece of kit there.
                      There actually really easy to make! Sshhhhhh don’t tell anyone!
                      And all 6 panels only use around 1.1kw of power, I think the Star panels are more than twice that?!
                      Last edited by Danger Steve; 14 November 2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

There actually really easy to make! Sshhhhhh don’t tell anyone!
                        And all 6 panels only use around 1.1kw of power, I think the Star panels are more than twice that?!
                        I may have to kidnap you to set up my table once I get one! Have you got links to the heat mats? I'm builing a list of the tips I'm getting from you!

Comment

• Great idea and looks very neat , Geoff Large does say heat is best no matter what system is used on the slate ,the trick is if you do use heating on a table to keep it consistent and not hot ,if you can feel the heat on your hand on the table it’s too hot .I have played on a pro,s table that was too hot ,you could feel the heat on the cloth ,someone turned the heating off one night by mistake and the table went out of level and started creaking ,fitters had to come in and re level it .Thing to remember is that slate like wood has a grain and over time can split and warp .Low mild constant heat is probably best .

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                            Great idea and looks very neat , Geoff Large does say heat is best no matter what system is used on the slate ,the trick is if you do use heating on a table to keep it consistent and not hot ,if you can feel the heat on your hand on the table it’s too hot .I have played on a pro,s table that was too hot ,you could feel the heat on the cloth ,someone turned the heating off one night by mistake and the table went out of level and started creaking ,fitters had to come in and re level it .Thing to remember is that slate like wood has a grain and over time can split and warp .Low mild constant heat is probably best .
                            Thanks Mikee! When you say felt hot, what are we talking? At the moment I only have two of the 6 panels fitted, one actually is on the floor connected and you can quite comfortably put your hand directly on the panel and leave it there and it just feels nice and warm, not hot. The slates that are heated, the cloth feels just dry and very very slightly warm but the slates further up the table with no heating feel a tad cooler but not by much.

Comment

• Sounds like you have it about right Steve ,just keeping it warm ,basically stopping the slates from being cold .If. My room was not attached to the house and was a separate build I would have under table heating too on a low warm heat .The table I played on was heated to the extent that the cloth felt like a hot water bottle ,that table is pretty buggerd now because of the heat ,joints and frame feel loose ,it’s like you wouldn’t fit a cue rack right next to a radiator .

Comment

• the star table I played on the cloth was about 20C
                                warm to touch, no more
                                and yes, it was grease lightning!
                                a double shot across the blue spot at the club that would just make the twice across, went three times and plopped into the pocket
                                Last edited by DeanH; 14 November 2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X